Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

(Franklin County)
gnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to gnbrotz Send a message via AIM to gnbrotz Send a message via MSN to gnbrotz Send a message via Yahoo to gnbrotz Send a message via Skype™ to gnbrotz
Default Proper fitting of shoulder holster

I've got an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Vertical Shoulder Holster that came with my Sigma when I bought it (used). It doesn't have any paperwork and I'm having a terrible time getting it adjusted for a good fit.

Any suggestions on how to best approach this task without going insane?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

(Philadelphia County)
MarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to all
Default Re: Proper fitting of shoulder holster

you're not planning to carry in that are you?

I wouldn't expect any kind of form fitting comfort from a $20 shoulder holster.
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Moderator Emeritus

(Franklin County)
gnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to gnbrotz Send a message via AIM to gnbrotz Send a message via MSN to gnbrotz Send a message via Yahoo to gnbrotz Send a message via Skype™ to gnbrotz

Not alot. I know it's not meant to be a 'concealed rig' and I know it's on the low end of the quality scale, but since it was free, I thought I might use it occasionally, perhaps to OC while out in the woods when it's hot and I don't usually have a belt on.

Of course, this assumes I can find a happy medium between giving myself a wedgie and the gun flopping around like a fish out of water.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM

(Lancaster County)
Punisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
you're not planning to carry in that are you?

I wouldn't expect any kind of form fitting comfort from a $20 shoulder holster.
i have one and once i got it adjusted it was very comfortable - i actually like it alot...............
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
dgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond reputedgg9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
Any suggestions on how to best approach this task without going insane?
The short answer is: forget about what you see on TV and movies. Those shoulder holsters are set to hang low in order to look "cool."

You want the gun fairly high up into the armpit. Mags should be high but forward, so that you can actually reach them. Your arm length and chest "barrelness" will dictate specifics. Make sure the place where the harness comes together in the back isn't twisted, hence printing.

The hallmark of a cheap shoulder holster is that, no matter how you adjust it, it never sits right.
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

(Westmoreland County)
RocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Unc Mike's horizontal holster for my 1911/Ruger P89. I keep it set low so I can wear it under a hoody or loose sweatshirt. The grip of the gun will actually ride near my belt line when I have the front strap dropped pretty low. The best bet for the strap is to tighten it as tight as you can for added support. I agree, not the best rig out there, but if you are on a budget...it can work for you.
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM

REDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud ofREDTAIL has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Proper fitting of shoulder holster

I just recieved my Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig for my 1911 Mil spec Gov model the other day, & it's a fine piece of leather work, that was designed by the late Lou Alessi, it has Lou's invention of a pull through snap, instead of a thumb break, which allow's the 1911 to be carried in cond 1 C & L without any problem's, Alessi is now overseen by Tom Kulwicki who like Lou make's the same crafted work as Lou himself did, It Adjust's very easy & the harness is very comfortable etc, I can see that I will be using & enjoying this rig for a long, long, time, I suggest anyone looking into a shoulder rig to give Tom a call at Alessi leather co. You will not regret it & the price & turnaround time is very nice also.