Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB 1243 (Preemption Law Changes) Passes House NOW on to Senate - HELP needed

On Oct 6th HB 1243, just passed its third consideration in the House by a vote of 143-54. There are only a few days left to get this through the Senate and we're going to need YOUR help! CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM

(Beaver County)
mildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of light
Default can I still have my gun after marrying a convicted felon?

I recently got married in September 2010. My husband is a convicted felon which of course isn't allowed to possess a handgun. I own a gun and I also have a permit to carry. I'm worried that I now must get rid of my gun. Is it illegal to still own my gun now that I am married to a convicted felon? If so, does being married change MY right to bear arms?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
IronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can I still have my gun after marrying a convicted felon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildzima View Post
I recently got married in September 2010. My husband is a convicted felon which of course isn't allowed to possess a handgun. I own a gun and I also have a permit to carry. I'm worried that I now must get rid of my gun. Is it illegal to still own my gun now that I am married to a convicted felon? If so, does being married change MY right to bear arms?
I think you should talk to a lawyer about that.
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM

(Beaver County)
mildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of lightmildzima is a glorious beacon of light

What kind of lawyer handles those type of questions?
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Lycoming County)
o1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond repute

i think you are ok as long as he does not have direct access to the firearm.
edit: by direct access i mean that he does not have physical control of the gun.

Last edited by o1dakota440; November 7th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Grand Member

thefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you located?

FOAC; NRA Endowment Member
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM

(Beaver County)

I am currently in Beaver County.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Grand Member

Bug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond reputeBug44 has a reputation beyond repute

Look into a small safe or other means of restricting access. And get some answers from a lawyer.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus

(Franklin County)
gnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to gnbrotz Send a message via AIM to gnbrotz Send a message via MSN to gnbrotz Send a message via Yahoo to gnbrotz Send a message via Skype™ to gnbrotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildzima View Post
My husband is a convicted felon which of course isn't allowed to possess a handgun.
Just to be clear: a prohibited person is not permitted to possess ANY type of firearm, including black-power firearms, or even so much as touch a single round of ammo.

I believe it's possible for you to retain and exercise your own rights, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get specific information from an attorney, and will definitely require some careful action on your part to do so.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

GunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond repute

Your rights are not affected, you have the same right to own guns, the same prohibition on providing a firearm to any prohibited person or minor.

His rights are gone. Which means that you can't let him have access to your gun. He can't be in a house alone where he could pick up the gun or the ammo. He can't know where the key is to your locking safe, and he can't know the combination to a combination safe.

I would say that trigger locks are not enough; if he can hold a gun in his hand, he has access, and custody & control, and you both have screwed up.

If he's on parole or probation, he may be subject to specific additional terms; they sometimes say that he can't live in a house where there are guns, regardless of safes. If that's the case, then YOU don't commit any crime by having secured guns in a safe (because you have not transfered a gun to a prohibited person), but HE is in violation and could go away on an unhappy trip, for violating the terms that bind him.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM

(Beaver County)

So, from what I gather so far, My gun needs to be kept in a safe where he can not have access to it at all and if he somehows gets access, than he gets into trouble and not me?! I understand that I have rights to have my gun as well as the responsibility to keep my gun from getting into the wrong hands.

I've never owned a safe but it looks like I need to get one. I just hope if I get an intruder, they will allow me the time to get my gun out before they do something.

Thanks for all the input.