Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: trapping

(Columbia County)

Default trapping

Does anyone know the current pelt prices for game in pa. ( foxes, coyotes, Muskrat, Coon, Opossum, or skunk.) or keeping your trap from getting stolen by creatures? Also any ideas on good baits or dispatching the animals when caught?
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

Default Re: trapping

I am sure this will get moved into the Hunting forum, but from what I have heard, prices are down again. A good Ruger Single Six revolver should take care of anything caught in a leg hold.
    Jules

(Columbia County)

i geuss no one traps anymore. that is sad . but would anone have a thought as how to dispatch critters in footsets. size of songdogs or smaller. furbuyers don't want holes in the pelt. any help would be helpful I'm already stumbling through trapping as it is. not so fun neither is your finger in a 1.5 duke. rather painful.

(Northumberland County)

I used to trap for years when I was younger, I used a "tire buddy" to thump them. It was something my uncle gave me, a short piece of a handle wrapped at the top with a thick strip of lead. One word of advice make sure before you whack a coon the first time that his leg has enough left in the trap to hold him.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Columbia County)

thanks do you have any tips like places toput sets .what to look for my freind set some out but only caught a crow that was a conundrum. we are not using sents or stuff like thatdon't have any would they be a good thing to use? we have been trapping blind.

(Northumberland County)

For raccons I used to make my own bait, some junk fish (suckers, carp ect) put it into a glass jar and sit it in the sun to rot. Try to find a hollowed out tree and put the trap in there with the bait behind it so he trips the trap before getting to the bait. You can also make your own trap area by stacking up rocks or sticks, you want him to trip the trap before he gets to the bait. Make sure your trap is staked down solidly. I was/am not a professional trapper so don't misunderstand this info like it was the word of God. I was just a kid who wanted to make some extra cash. For muskrats I used Connabear (sp?) or jump traps which killed them quickly. I was never good at cathing foxes they were always smarter than me. I have not trapped in years and would not even know where to take the animals these days. I hope this helps a little, hopefully someone more skilled than me will chime in soon.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Columbia County)

thanks better than havin no clue tried cat food