Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM

(Allegheny County)
WhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why buy a 38 snub?

Since a 357 snub can easily fire any 38 shell you want to feed it, why buy the 38?

I've had this asked of me a few times recently and thought I would post this here to get some opinions. I generally go to "they are lighter" or "they are smaller" but is there something I'm missing?

On a related note, just to make this thread interesting, can we put together some kind of warning label on the ultra light 38's that say "if you are a 120 pound woman this gun will hurt your hand"? Or maybe "if you fire +p loads through this your hand will go numb"?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM

(Montgomery County)
Log9mm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why buy a 38 snub?

Well you nailed it with lighter and smaller. Not all .38s are lighter and smaller but they certainly can be made lighter and smaller, and for that reason many of them are. Two other factors are price, and the fact that many people buying a snub have no intention of shooting .357 as they like having feeling in their hand on most days. Most guns capable of firing .357 are more expensive than a same brand gun chambered in .38 only. These are both generalizations and by no means account for every single person and every single snub nose made, but I believe all four of those factors play a major role.

-Logan
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

(Northumberland County)
The Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond repute

I got a smith 642 because it was inexpensive, light, and small. It is chambered for .38 +P

knowing how it feels to fire this gun, I wouldn't want a magnum...
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM

(Berks County)
gold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond repute

1. you do not have the grip strenght to manipulate an autoloading pistol.

2. hand or nerve damage that makes using an autoloading pistol problematic.

3. you are not in a extreme risk catagory who needs lots of firepower, but your postion requires that you are armed.

4. you have to carry a firearm constantly and cannot handle carrying large firearms

5. you are an armed professional and you need a secondary weapon/back up gun (BUG).

6. you do not have the time nessacary to dedicate to learing how to completely master a pistol, but you still need to be armed.

7. you look down on 22 or 25acp firearms.

8. you cannot handle the recoil from larger caliber revolvers.

9. you need a gun on you 24-7 and it must be small and lightweight.

10. better to be armed with a snub than to have your Custom Nighhawk Light Sabre and can opener locked up in your gun safe with the 40 watt plasma rifle you use for 'sqirrell hunting'

well thats all I can come up with for now

btw if recoil is THAT bad then either hand load some hollow base wadcutters with the base UP or just shoot wadcutters. It will get the job done WITH TRAINING....cough couhgh
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Grand Member

Michele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond reputeMichele has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
Since a 357 snub can easily fire any 38 shell you want to feed it, why buy the 38?

I've had this asked of me a few times recently and thought I would post this here to get some opinions. I generally go to "they are lighter" or "they are smaller" but is there something I'm missing?

On a related note, just to make this thread interesting, can we put together some kind of warning label on the ultra light 38's that say "if you are a 120 pound woman this gun will hurt your hand"? Or maybe "if you fire +p loads through this your hand will go numb"?

BRILLIANT!

You know its funny you started this thread.
I went to the range yesterday with both my .9mm and .38. First I did a few thru the .9mm then I gave the .38 a chance, put through 5 FMJ'. Ok, it was painful.
Then I put through 5 SJ hollows. AGONY! I thought my hand was broken.
If I ever had to use the .38 in self defense, I would say to the BG, "hey asshole, this guns hurt me just as much as its hurt you".

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Grand Member

(Northampton County)
reverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been asking that question for years. I see no reason to buy a .38 as opposed to a small frame .357.

I've handled the scandium J frame snubbie .357....all 11 ounces of it. The only thing heavy about it was its price.

I might buy a .38 as a collector piece but for a shooter / carry piece it would be .357mag.

A .357 snubbie will go anywhere a .38 snubbie will go & give you the option of shooting either caliber.

However....that's just me. If a .38 makes someone else happy,that's their choice.

Quote:
7. you look down on 22 or 25acp firearms.
Yes I do....for defense.......but that's for another thread.

Last edited by reverserboy; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Grand Member

(Westmoreland County)
TonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post

"they are smaller"
Bingo.

Quote:
but is there something I'm missing?
If you are then so am I.

Quote:
On a related note, just to make this thread interesting, can we put together some kind of warning label on the ultra light 38's that say "if you are a 120 pound woman this gun will hurt your hand"?
I'd change it to "if you are a human being this gun will hurt your hand".

"... there's trained and untrained" (Denzel Washington -- Man on Fire)
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

(Philadelphia County)
MarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
I'd change it to "if you are a human being this gun will hurt your hand".
I fired one of those smith scandium 357's with magnum loads. Most miserable gun i've ever shot. even badwith 38's...but everyone recommends snub 38's for women.....
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Grand Member

XD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
I fired one of those smith scandium 357's with magnum loads. Most miserable gun i've ever shot. even badwith 38's...but everyone recommends snub 38's for women.....
agree'd I had the 340PD, and just sold it. It would cut my hand up, and just plain hurt.. I've shot 460's, .500's and none of them came close to that. TGH wouldn't even beable to handle it
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM

TJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond reputeTJB63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
agree'd I had the 340PD, and just sold it. It would cut my hand up, and just plain hurt.. I've shot 460's, .500's and none of them came close to that. TGH wouldn't even beable to handle it
I have a 637 Smith, Even that beats the shit out of you.