Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Which Supressor for .22 pistol and rifle...?

Looking for suggestions on:
    #1. Durable.
    #2. Quiet.
    #3. Easy to Clean.

I have a SIG Mosquito (I have the threaded bbl version, and I know I will need the adapter for the 1/2 x 28).

I will eventually put it on a bolt .22 and/or Ruger 10/22 (have one already, but not with the threaded bbl).

I've seen several websites, and the suppressors ranged in price and functionality (reported Db reduction), but real life reports are often better.

I do intend to run Remington Subsonic (most likely) through them--have a brick and want to be sure that it is reliable before settling on it as the main ammo.

Thanks!

AFARR

Default Re: Which Supressor for .22 pistol and rifle...?

Decide if you value ease of cleaning or maxium supression because at the current time they are mutually exclusive.

all current name brand supressors are "durable"

rem SS is garbage it's inaccurate, dirty and way to expensive for what it is.

Go with Federal target is allmost as good as CCI standard velocity but cheaper (both are subsonic in 16" barrels)
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the info.

I had seen some with removable baffle stacks (unscrew one end) and thought it was an interesting design.

If the difference in sound is significant, I would have no issues with a non-removable (harder to clean) supressor, however, if the noise reduction is somewhat minor--the convenience would be nice.

I'll get some Federal Target and try it out also.

I'll use the Rem SubSonic in my kids Cricket then.

Thanks!
    Last edited by AFARR; October 3rd, 2007 at 08:56 AM.

(Monroe County)

I have a AAC Pilot and it works great, but you can not take it apart to clean.

The best ammo so far is Winchester Dynapoint in the 500 round box. Clean, quiet, and accurate. Federal target works well.

Are you the same AFFAR that used to frequent the Biggerhammer 50 cal board a few years back?

(Lebanon County)

Do you have a price range? or is the sky the limit. There are many manufactures now who make both a Breakdown and sealed can. Look into the AAC pilot or the SWR warlock and specter. Also check out the YHM mite. All are good quality..

(Lancaster County)

Federal always has had reliable and good accurate ammo in my cases...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Chester County)

I have a Tactical Innovations TAC-65 and I really like it. It is a cheap can and I am sure there are others that are a little quieter BUT this is a light can that is easy to clean and it is quiet enough that I can take out a groundhog in the back yard using a Walther P22 or Ruger 10/22 and my neighbor sitting on their deck doesn't know I fired a shot!

Now, if you really want a quiet 22, I also have a Norrell Integral Supressor on a Ruger 10/22 with ne of those rubber buffers. That gun is REALLY QUIET but it will not work on more then that one gun and it is more money!

(Lehigh County)

Kramer,

Are you saying I'm an OLD man? (but, yes it was me). I've been on the firearms boards since before the turn of the century....(even the old ARF.com & Tom Bowers board when they had the *ss of the day, etc.).

I'd prefer to keep the first supressor cheaper and get a nicer one later. I'm in the process of rebuilding my firearms collection (Sold almost all of it to get through school..including my .50s and {long story} some NFA that I never was able to take possession of).

Someday the collection will be where I want it--probably with a couple of supressors and MGs, but for now, I want to start with reasonable quality for the money.

Thanks,

AFARR

(Montgomery County)

you wont go wrong with the TAC series from Tactical Innovations, or an AAC Pilot, or a Gemtech Outback II.

the Tac series is cheapest, the Gemtech and AAC can are more expensive.
    All 3 really sound about the same when it gets down to it, it just depends what name and support you want.

I myself have a bowers CAC22 stainless can, its proven fairly indestructible.
    not the MOST quiet of course, but it is engineered for full auto use, the others I mentioned are not.

a good basic can would be a Gemtech OutbackII, you wont go wrong with Gemtech for sure.

make sure you save money for getting everything threaded
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply