Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default COPS Crew member killed during filming of incident

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...armed-robbery/

The incident was an armed robbery at a Wendy’s in Omaha. While police confirmed to KETV-TV that the suspected robber was killed by police gunfire, information on how the crew member, Bryce Dion, was killed remained scarce Wednesday afternoon.
    “We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragedy and our main concern is helping his family in any way we can,” Pam Golum, a spokeswoman for the production company behind “Cops,” said in a statement to the Washington Post. “Bryce Dion was a longterm member of the ‘Cops’ team and a very talented and dedicated person. We mourn his passing. An investigation is ongoing and we are cooperating with local authorities.”

I know that the crew members that ride with the cops wear body armor, but only chest and back protection, no helmets as far as I know. Details are still scarce on this. It really was only a matter of time till something like this happened.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: COPS Crew member killed during filming of incident

I wasn't aware they were still filming, I thought it was all reruns.

(Dauphin County)

"We are deeply saddened and shocked"

Shocked that bullets would fly in the vicinity of police activity.

In other shocking news there was gambling in Casablanca.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

It seems the Cops shot the sound tech. The suspect was armed with an airsoft handgun. Still in some 27 years of ride-a-longs only one person was accidentally shot. That is a pretty good record.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    I wasn't aware they were still filming, I thought it was all reruns.
    The new episodes are on spike tv Saturdays at 8. I had no idea either, until recently.

(York County)

At the risk of starting an argument, here I go....

I have always believed that I own every shot I take. If I injured or killed an innocent during a lawful self defense scenario I would be prosecuted. This cop will not be. I read more and more about errant shots by the police (the 9 people shot by cops in NY was a doosey).

I will not squeeze the trigger unless I know I can hit my target. That also means that once I squeeze that trigger I know where that round is going. Before I get accused of being arrogant or some kind of Rambo I believe that because I practice.....a lot. I am at the range every week. I shoot at least 100 rounds every session. I do this with every gun I carry. Yes, it gets expensive shooting at least 400 rounds per month just for practice (and more for fun) but I need to know my bullet is going where I want it to. If I want to carry I believe it is my responsibility to be accurate with deadly force. Not saying every LTCF holder has to do what I do - this is my thought process.

How much are cops required to train? How often are they required to qualify. This shit happens all too frequently.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Tioga County)

Looks like it was friendly fire and the crew member was gunned down by a cop. Pretty sad.

(Bucks County)

It had to be the cops . The suspect only had an airsoft gun.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(York County)

Quote from a news article

Three officers, accompanied by Dion and Cops cameraman Michael Lee, entered the building in a tactical procedure. After Lee made a move to a new position, Dion was trapped in a vestibule and was caught in crossfire when officers returned gunfire at Washington.
    Bullshit - what crossfire??? Return fire means the other person needs to shoot first (hence....return). What were they returning, airsoft BB's?

I have no problem with the cops shooting the dirtbag robber, an airsoft gun can look like a real gun. I have a problem with spin that makes the cop who can not control his gun and has no concept of accurate fire sound blameless.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    At the risk of starting an argument, here I go....

I have always believed that I own every shot I take. If I injured or killed an innocent during a lawful self defense scenario I would be prosecuted. This cop will not be. I read more and more about errant shots by the police (the 9 people shot by cops in NY was a doosey).

I will not squeeze the trigger unless I know I can hit my target. That also means that once I squeeze that trigger I know where that round is going. Before I get accused of being arrogant or some kind of Rambo I believe that because I practice.....a lot. I am at the range every week. I shoot at least 100 rounds every session. I do this with every gun I carry. Yes, it gets expensive shooting at least 400 rounds per month just for practice (and more for fun) but I need to know my bullet is going where I want it to. If I want to carry I believe it is my responsibility to be accurate with deadly force. Not saying every LTCF holder has to do what I do - this is my thought process.

How much are cops required to train? How often are they required to qualify. This shit happens all too frequently.
    I've trained cops and worked with retired cops. IMO, two skills they need to be good at, shooting and driving, they are often downright terrible at. Godawful terrible. People can blame it on budgets, lack of training, a number of things, but I think like a lot of jobs in society people want to get by with the minimum and don't put the effort into improving on their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast