Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Regions > Lake Erie Region > Erie

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM

(Allegheny County)
Sabnock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CCW Classes?

I'm new to the area and about to get my CCW but I'm a little bummed I cant find any CCW specific classes around here. I saw a few handgun 101's but I doubt they cover much of CCW law. Any ideas?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM

(Erie County)
JayZ is a splendid one to beholdJayZ is a splendid one to beholdJayZ is a splendid one to beholdJayZ is a splendid one to beholdJayZ is a splendid one to beholdJayZ is a splendid one to beholdJayZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CCW Classes?

Well for starters, in Pennsylvania we don't have CCW permits. In PA it is called a License To Carry Firearms, or LTCF for short. We are also not required to take classes to get them either, as PA is a Shall issue state, unless you live in the Communist City of Philadelphia. Just find you local County Court House, head to the Sheriffs Office, fill out the application, pay the $25-$26 fee in cash, and within 45 days you will recieve you LTCF, or a denial letter. It typically only takes about 10 business days though, usually. Good luck, and Carry on.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
I'm new to the area and about to get my CCW but I'm a little bummed I cant find any CCW specific classes around here. I saw a few handgun 101's but I doubt they cover much of CCW law. Any ideas?
what exactly do you need to know? the laws concerning concealed carry? you can do that here well enough? or were you looking for a training course, at a range somewhere? plenty of ranges in PA offer shooting instruction.

as far as the laws in PA are concerned, it's pretty simple, as far as where and when you can carry concealed, or openly. getting your license is simple, as well, though some issuing authorities try and make it difficult.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM

(Allegheny County)
Sabnock is an unknown quantity at this point

Less when I can and cant carry, more when I can and cant defend myself. I'm from Florida and the laws there are a bit different from here. (In Florida I don't have to retreat.) I just don't want to end up in jail over defending myself. I was hoping for something more like Gunlawyer's class but closer to my area.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:16 PM

(Erie County)
madaniels is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.lethalweaponstraining.com/

www.gemcitygunclub.org

I can't personally recommend either, I've done my lessons with a private instructor, but I'd start here.

I've also found the gentlemen at Edinboro Outdoors to be a great place to shop and very friendly--they might be able to give you some suggestions as well.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
Less when I can and cant carry, more when I can and cant defend myself. I'm from Florida and the laws there are a bit different from here. (In Florida I don't have to retreat.) I just don't want to end up in jail over defending myself. I was hoping for something more like Gunlawyer's class but closer to my area.
the statutes that cover those situations are somewhere on this site, as well. we have no Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine here, yet. basically, if you're out and about, you have a duty to retreat if possible; if you can't physically extricate yourself from a dangerous situation, and you're in reasonably fear for your life, then you may use force if necessary. you may also intervene if you are witnessing an attempted rape, kidnapping, or homicide. just make sure you ALWAYS have a cell phone.

in the home, i think there's a bit more leeway. i'm not clear on the statutes, though, but i'm pretty sure that when you're home, or in your established place of business, you have no duty to retreat. you're just not allowed to shoot someone for stealing your TV. now, if they try and beat you up for your TV, i think you're justified. just remember that this isn't TX; apparently, you're allowed to shoot someone who's unarmed in the back for stealing your neighbor's TV down there.
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM

(Lackawanna County)
S&W40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
we have no Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine here, yet.
yes we do ... and its 20 $ and no wait ...just a form and picture ...
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
normanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond reputenormanvin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W40 View Post
Did you notice this thread is a few years old?
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM

(Monroe County)
SteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond reputeSteveinNEPA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W40 View Post
aside from the post being old as hell, some counties HAVE a waiting period and SOME sharge more although they are not supposed to... READ the thread, and PLEASE make note of the DATE in the upper left corner of the posts... That said, welcome to the site...
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
mrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
aside from the post being old as hell, some counties HAVE a waiting period and SOME sharge more although they are not supposed to... READ the thread, and PLEASE make note of the DATE in the upper left corner of the posts... That said, welcome to the site...
Who is still charging more than $20?