Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Gun Shop on PA-34/Spring Road in Carlisle

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    All sales and store visits are by APPOINTMENT ONLY
    After you contact us, we will let you know if we are available on your requested day, and give you specific directions to the store.

Posted Store Hours would help drive some business.
    I thought you were one of the store owners/employees responding. I just realized you cut and pasted this from their site.

I agree about standard store hours.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    All sales and store visits are by APPOINTMENT ONLY
    After you contact us, we will let you know if we are available on your requested day, and give you specific directions to the store.

Posted Store Hours would help drive some business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone Guns View Post
    I will answer the questions. Yes we have ammo, yes we take cards. Many people when they come in, smile and simply say "This is my new honey hole". When others cannot get firearms or ammo, we typically can (having 17 suppliers helps). Now, onto the inventory question, we have a warehouse supplied by the country's biggest supplier local to our store here. If you see a certain firearm on our site, and it says "available" then my wife (also FFL) who works at warehouse, she simply brings that firearm home with her to the shop. Now with that said, the shop is also fully stocked all the time, where-as we have no open spaces anywhere. Between April 2013 and end of year, we just came shy of putting out 800 firearms. That's not too hateful for a mom and pop shop, AND we do NOT advertise beyond web site, facebook and word of mouth. (that's it). So that should say something for the deals we do. Were not out to get rich overnight in this business, we would rather do it a step at a time and make amazing deals to customers. ALSO we are very well known for being able to get certain new firearms for customers when they can't find them anywhere else. If your local, and want to stop by, call us for appointment. If your on Facebook, search and join our page and see what people have to say. We typically have one delivery per hour on most days, so that's why we only do appointments only. (no take a number and wait) And our new way of doing business (by appointment only) also contributes to our success. It keeps it safe, private one on one personal transaction. Most people, once they experience that, say there is no other way. As screwed up as this country is today, and everything Washington is trying to do, keeping firearms transactions private is the new way for people. Were swamped. www.keystonegunsales.com Stop in or call - 717-249-0000
    Thanks for the response. This certainly clears up the questions. Here's a few thoughts that are only my opinion so take them for whatever value you want:

Posting an inventory list of every firearm available by order is not an inventory list. Many of us like to look, feel, touch, etc... before we order. Giving one the impression you have 5,800 guns in your inventory is deceiving.

You say you HAVE a warehouse but then later say your wife works there and can bring inventory home. It sounds like the warehouse is not "yours" but actually another business owned by another party.

The "by appointment only" approach is certainly unique for what seems to be a full time operation. So if I am shooting at the nearby State Game Lands range and realize I left the targets at home, need ear plugs, want more ammo.... I can call and HOPE you have an appointment available? Having to make an appointment just to look at what's on the shelves or pick up a bottle of Hoppes seems excessive. The whole "by appointment" approach sounds more like this is a part time operation.

I visit on average 5 to 6 gun shops a week. When traveling for work (approx one week out of each month) this number triples. I visit the shops on my time and at my convenience. I can't imagine operating a retail business and expecting the customer to work their schedule around mine. My opportunities to shop are limited and often come about with no notice. I'm the guy swinging the u-turn at every gun shop I pass because I am in the area at the right time.

"Keeping firearms transactions private"? There is no such thing unless I buy privately from a non FFL. I don't think too many folks are worried about the guy scanning the holster aisle knowing they just bought a rifle. Now, if you can find a legit way to circumvent all the state and fed forms let us know!

Anyway, I do wish you the best in your business and hope it is successful.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Thanks for the response. This certainly clears up the questions. Here's a few thoughts that are only my opinion so take them for whatever value you want:

Posting an inventory list of every firearm available by order is not an inventory list. Many of us like to look, feel, touch, etc... before we order. Giving one the impression you have 5,800 guns in your inventory is deceiving.

You say you HAVE a warehouse but then later say your wife works there and can bring inventory home. It sounds like the warehouse is not "yours" but actually another business owned by another party.

The "by appointment only" approach is certainly unique for what seems to be a full time operation. So if I am shooting at the nearby State Game Lands range and realize I left the targets at home, need ear plugs, want more ammo.... I can call and HOPE you have an appointment available? Having to make an appointment just to look at what's on the shelves or pick up a bottle of Hoppes seems excessive. The whole "by appointment" approach sounds more like this is a part time operation.

I visit on average 5 to 6 gun shops a week. When traveling for work (approx one week out of each month) this number triples. I visit the shops on my time and at my convenience. I can't imagine operating a retail business and expecting the customer to work their schedule around mine. My opportunities to shop are limited and often come about with no notice. I'm the guy swinging the u-turn at every gun shop I pass because I am in the area at the right time.

"Keeping firearms transactions private"? There is no such thing unless I buy privately from a non FFL. I don't think too many folks are worried about the guy scanning the holster aisle knowing they just bought a rifle. Now, if you can find a legit way to circumvent all the state and fed forms let us know!

Anyway, I do wish you the best in your business and hope it is successful.

I have to agree with the above post. The whole by appointment only thing seems a little off. I think it would be very limiting. The last three or four guns that I have bought were all spur of the moment purchases while window shopping at LGS in the area. I'm sure their are lots of people out there like me that usually end up buying guns when they didn't really go into a shop with that intention but, were looking for something else.

I'm also not understanding the whole privacy thing. The .gov already knows everything I own that has been bought through LGS over the years. There is know way around it, so who are you keeping things private from?

One other question. Are the prices listed on the website negotiable? I ask because you say you deal with your customers and give them great deals. Almost every gun I just looked at on the site was priced right at MSRP. I'm assuming you like to do a little haggling over price then to achieve the deals.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I have to agree with the above post. The whole by appointment only thing seems a little off. I think it would be very limiting. The last three or four guns that I have bought were all spur of the moment purchases while window shopping at LGS in the area. I'm sure their are lots of people out there like me that usually end up buying guns when they didn't really go into a shop with that intention but, were looking for something else.

I'm also not understanding the whole privacy thing. The .gov already knows everything I own that has been bought through LGS over the years. There is know way around it, so who are you keeping things private from?

One other question. Are the prices listed on the website negotiable? I ask because you say you deal with your customers and give them great deals. Almost every gun I just looked at on the site was priced right at MSRP. I'm assuming you like to do a little haggling over price then to achieve the deals.
    Yeah, I gave a comliment yesterday for posting of prices but didn't notice until this morning that they are MSRP. Knowing the MSRP is about useless to me. No one pays MSRP.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Gun Shop on PA-34/Spring Road in Carlisle

It's hard to respond without it sounding smug on here (which is not how I want to come across), but this is how WE operate, (not saying anyone else has to, or anyone has to like it, or even buy here because of it) but its our way of doing business and it seems to be working much better then other past systems in this area (especially since so many past shops are now out of business). It might be a new concept, and might sound weird or inconvenient at first, but it's really not. Once appointments are made, and customers come in, they usually say the same thing this which is "I like it this way now, and will do all my business here" Many people hate taking a ticket and waiting 1 or 2 hours to be waited on, and many people hate the condescending attitude of the "over the counter gun jockeys" too. As for inventory, many shops only have so much to "touch and feel" (and many don't have much of that either, unless they are a big box store). We have a ton in stock, so people can typically get their fix. And we keep the popular firearms people want usually within reach. (remember were still only a mom and pop store) So they can 90% of the time get what they are looking for (in new firearms). However if it's something not here, and we can get it here in a day or two. That has not presented to a problem thus far. We still get a ton of impulse buys while people are here too. Monday a customer came in, said he wanted a Kimber Super Carry HD, but checked everywhere. He couldn't find one and was told there was a very long waiting period even to see one. Yesterday (Wednesday 2 days later) his new Kimber was sitting here. Last week a local PD called since their contracted LE supplier couldn't get the specific ammo they used, and they were all but out. They said it would be awhile before they get any in, they are coming here tomorrow to get the 2000 rounds they needed. (we got it for them within 2 days). That's not to say we can get EVERY gun out there, but we take the time to also call around for people and do our best.
    So again, its working well for us. As for MSRP on the site, that's also simply to let people know what price range they are looking in. If they are an actual buyer, and contact us, we will give them a quote. Not sure how many of you on here are actual business owners, but sometimes you gotta think outside the box. We don't just have the bling on the Internet,,,,we deliver. It's maybe a different way of doing a firearms business, but one thing we don't have is tickets and a waiting period. Plus the private, secure one on one experience goes a long way with people. Those I lose because of it, I won't lose any sleep over,,,trust me. (Again, when typing on here things may come across in a negative context, which isn't meant, just trying to explain since some posted issue with it.)
    Last edited by Keystone Guns; February 20th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

(Cumberland County)

MT1 - ""Keeping firearms transactions private"? There is no such thing unless I buy privately from a non FFL. I don't think too many folks are worried about the guy scanning the holster aisle knowing they just bought a rifle. Now, if you can find a legit way to circumvent all the state and fed forms let us know!
    "
    MT1 - To answer this,,,obviously you don't have a shop. I have one guy who buys collectable firearms that cost in excess of 10K, His actual words are "I only come here for the transfers because I don't need anyone looking over my shoulder when I am picking up my purchases" So when he buys, he gets them shipped here. And that IS private, and makes perfect sense.

Now for the typical HiPoint 380 buyer, I am sure no one cares.

As for the Government knowing our business,,,I agree with you,,,,they know everything. ;(
    Last edited by Keystone Guns; February 20th, 2014 at 11:16 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Hey, I'm the guy developing the Keystone Gun Sales website, so I'll try to clear a few things up that everyone was asking about.

Appointment Only
    I don't understand the big deal about the appointment only stuff? The first link posted on this thread was to fire power systems, and if you go on their website, the first thing it says under store hours is "by appointment only".

The reasoning behind it is simple. We aren't Cabellas or Gander Mtn. We don't have a ton of sales reps to deal with a bunch of customers at once. Every available square foot is filled with guns, and we don't have room for a ton of people to be standing around waiting.

You are over-thinking the appointment thing, it isn't a dentist appointment, and it doesn't take a weeks notice. If you just need targets or ammo, say so on the phone, and you can easily be in and out. If you want to buy a gun, and we already have 2 or 3 people buying guns at that time, you are just going to be standing in line waiting. Transfers can take a long time to go through.

Website Inventory & Pricing
    We have a ton of different suppliers. I wrote programs for each supplier, to aggregate a list of available inventory, and that is what you are seeing on the website. I do this because a lot of guns are hard to find, and now you can add them to your waiting list, and automatically be notified when they become available.

If you look under the MSRP price on the website, you will see a line of text that says: "We only show product MSRP because we offer the most competitive prices. Contact us for a Quote."

We would like to just add our markup to our cost, and show you a price, but some manufacturers have a "Minimum Advertise Price", and we can't show prices lower than that. The whole system is fully automated, and we don't want to accidentally get into any issues with the manufacturers by showing a price that is too low.

My next big project is getting the in-store inventory completely synced up with the website, and then everything you see now is going to get moved into a new 'Catalog' section, and then the website will make a lot more sense.
    The catalog section will be the same as it is now, but the actual Inventory section will show real prices, for whats available in the store in real time.

(Lycoming County)

Thank you for clearing up a few things. Personally I still don't think I'm sold on the by appointment only aspect. I travel around and pop into different gun shops quite frequently just to see what they have. I also don't really buy new guns often and usually stick to the used stuff. As far as the waiting in line for an hour or two to be waited on I have only experienced this at one shop during one of their big sale weekends so that really isn't a factor for me either. Sounds to me if you have something that you are specifically looking for it might work out well.

Good luck in the future to you. Post back when the website is finished as I wouldn't mind checking it out.

(Cumberland County)

I wasnt going to chime in on this thread until I saw the last couple of posts. A friend recommended KGS to me quite awhile ago. I was initially reluctant to go in because of the whole by appt only thing. I finally made an appt and have been very pleased in my dealings with the guys. They have been very helpful and accomodating. The prices on ammo have been much cheaper than any brick and mortar store I have found. The on hand firearms selection isnt unlimited but they have a fair number of popular models and a some used guns as well. If I want to look at a large selection and decide what I like, I go to Cabelas or Bass Pro. If I want to buy at a great price, I make an appt at KGS. The one on one attention and great deals more than make up for any inconvenience making an appt. If i have to have something immediately there are other places with good customer service like mechanicsburg ordinance but you will pay a little more. KGS has become my first choice

(Dauphin County)

The website for KSG says:

Address:
    Keystone Gun Sales
    Carlisle, PA 17013
    But the Facebook page says:
    1201 Fleetwood Dr
    Carlisle, PA 17013
    Why be coy about the address on the website if it's already on the Facebook page? Or does the Facebook page have a false address?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast