Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Looking for a new Gun Club/Sportsman's Club

Hi all. I am a former member of Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Association and I am looking for a new place to join. My membership with MSA expired about a year ago, and I was all ready to r-join, when I noticed on their website that they no longer allow guests. My FIL and BIL are both from out of town but visit somewhat regularly (a couple of times per year). I am looking for a place that I can take them as guests. Facilities I'm interested in are a rifle range, perhaps trap shooting, and a pistol range. Either covered or indoor would be preferred, but not a necessity as long as there is a variety of distances available.

I live close to MSA, which makes it a shame that they no longer allow guests (they used to require a day permit which cost a couple of dollars). Does anyone know of a good place fairly close to Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill/Enola area? I am open to either East or West shore locations.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Looking for a new Gun Club/Sportsman's Club

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post

I live close to MSA, which makes it a shame that they no longer allow guests (they used to require a day permit which cost a couple of dollars). Does anyone know of a good place fairly close to Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill/Enola area? I am open to either East or West shore locations.
    Most clubs don't allow guests. I belong to West Shore Sportsmen's Assoc. But I don't think they allow guests... or at least guests within a certain distance. I'm not sure of their exact policy, but you can see if it's posted on their web site at http://www.westshoresportsmen.org
    NRA Life Member, Mechanicsburg

(Adams County)

Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers allow guests for a price, and not too far from Duncannon.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgood71 View Post
    Most clubs don't allow guests. I belong to West Shore Sportsmen's Assoc. But I don't think they allow guests... or at least guests within a certain distance. I'm not sure of their exact policy, but you can see if it's posted on their web site at http://www.westshoresportsmen.org
    Yeah, I am looking into them right now. They have a discounted membership for non-local people, but I'm not sure if they actually allow guests or not. The discounted membership would not work because I'd like to be able to take 2 different people and neither of them would be able to make it in for the meeting required for joining.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers allow guests for a price, and not too far from Duncannon.
    Yeah, I was looking into them. Only problem is their membership fee.
    Last edited by imp81318; January 8th, 2013 at 07:58 AM.

(Perry County)

I heard back from West Shore Sportsmen's Association. They do allow guests to use the facility for $1 per day as long as they are with a current member.

I am currently leaning toward either joining there, or re-joining Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Club and just using the public range off rt 34 when the in-laws are in town. MSA is just a few miles away from my house, whereas WSSA is about 25 minutes away. I'm just not sure that the convenience of being able to take guests is worth the extra drive.

(Cumberland County)

I heard back from West Shore Sportsmen's Association. They do allow guests to use the facility for $1 per day as long as they are with a current member.

I am currently leaning toward either joining there, or re-joining Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Club and just using the public range off rt 34 when the in-laws are in town. MSA is just a few miles away from my house, whereas WSSA is about 25 minutes away. I'm just not sure that the convenience of being able to take guests is worth the extra drive.
    I didn't know that about WSSA. I thought they had a policy but I couldn't find it when I looked for it. I'm not even sure who you'd pay the $1 to if you brought a guest. The State Game Lands shooting ranges do require you to have either a valid hunting license ($21 I think) or a range permit ($30 last I checked) in order to shoot there -- but you can bring an unlicensed guest for free. Just in case you weren't aware of that law. So it's not technically free, but it is a cheap alternative to a gun club. (and quite often packed with people, unlike WSSA)

(Perry County)

i've visited West Shore Sportsmans w/a member before as a guest, yes, it was a buck.

I see you're in duncannon too...i've just joined the Duncannon Sportsmans Association (montebello farm rd off 274), few minutes outside duncannon.
    No website, i stopped in one saturday and happened to find the club secretary there, he took my info and mailed me a membership form. $10/yr cant be beat. nice, maybe 20 seat, covered rifle range with pistol at one end. trap shoot area too on other side.

stop out someday and grab a form...
    shenanigans: here

(Perry County)

I actually moved to Enola area from Duncannon about 2 years ago, but before I moved I was a member of Duncannon's club. Several of the guys that I work with are active members up there too, and you're right that for $10 you can't beat it. I've thought about joining again just because it is only $10, but without an indoor pistol range I do not see myself driving up there to use the grounds ever.

I think I am about ready to join WSSA, but before I do I'd like to check out the facilities. Anybody up for giving me a tour?

(Cumberland County)

I actually moved to Enola area from Duncannon about 2 years ago, but before I moved I was a member of Duncannon's club. Several of the guys that I work with are active members up there too, and you're right that for $10 you can't beat it. I've thought about joining again just because it is only $10, but without an indoor pistol range I do not see myself driving up there to use the grounds ever.

I think I am about ready to join WSSA, but before I do I'd like to check out the facilities. Anybody up for giving me a tour?
    If you go when there's a public event the gate is open and you can look around without a member. During IDPA practices on Saturdays this is the case. I'd be willing to give you a tour if we can get our schedules to mesh. Weekends are pretty much the only option for me though.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgood71 View Post
    If you go when there's a public event the gate is open and you can look around without a member. During IDPA practices on Saturdays this is the case. I'd be willing to give you a tour if we can get our schedules to mesh. Weekends are pretty much the only option for me though.
    That would be awesome. Weekends are probably about the only time that would work for me too. This weekend I might be going to the farm show one day, but whichever day I don't go I will be available all day... Does either Saturday or Sunday work for you? We can continue via PM...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast