Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Regions > PA Dutch Country/Hershey Region > Cumberland

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM

(Perry County)
LittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeLittleMsSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Question Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Association Question

Evening everyone.

The significant other and I are looking to join a club that's close to home. Problem we've been running into is that most clubs require a sponsor, and I'm not familiar with anyone who belongs...anywhere...which is making joining a club difficult. Anyone know if Mechanicsburg Sportmen's Association requires a sponsor to join?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 4th, 2010, 05:41 AM

(Cumberland County)
WVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant futureWVUmountaineers has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Association Question

They do not. I belonged there several years ago but because of my family' schedule decided it wasn't worth keeping the membership.

Very nice club. They offer a variety of activities.
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM

(Cumberland County)
Neilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond repute

I joined Mechanicsburg this summer and they don't require a sponsor. West shore has a spot for a sponsor on their application but when I joined others were joining without one.
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM

(York County)
Beretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I am considering a membership as well at the club, and it is correct that you do not need a sponsor.
I have never had a look at the club, but the fishing pond has peeked my interest mostly as a place I can't take my 2 grandsons to have some fun fishing for the first time.

Is there any members that can give me some feedback on the club in general, or compare this club to WSSA's club?
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:26 PM

(Cumberland County)
Neilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond reputeNeilthepilot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Association Question

Mechanicsburg has a 25, 50 and 100 yd range. All three have covered shooting stations with shooting tables that you can sit or stand behind. There is a shotgun patterning range and trap ranges (one of which is available for the general membership. The rest are for league use). A nice archery range and three indoor ranges. The indoor ranges require an additional fee. One for center fire pistols, one for rim fire, and one for archery. And the pond seems nice. They stock it from a fishery that they own. Mechanicsburg has nice facilities but they are stricter than West shore. Someone checks my ID regularly and I think things like drawing are frowned upon. It is a nice club. http://www.msa-pa.org/

West shore has a good description of the facilities on their web site. http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/. The facilities are not quite as refined as Mechanicsburg except for the #1 25 yd range which is covered and has a mix of target stands and metal targets. You can set the targets at any distance, shoot at metal targets, and I believe you can draw. They do cowboy and IDPA also. I like both facilities however my wife prefers Mechanicsburg so thats where we go.

I will be maintaining my membership at both clubs.

I believe both clubs membership runs January thru December, so you might want to talk to some one before applying in December

Last edited by Neilthepilot; December 5th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:20 AM

(York County)
Beretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBeretta Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that feedback Neilthepilot.

From all that I have heard about Mechanicsburg, I thought the club was better maintained than WSSA. I will be renewing my membership at WS because it is close, and I do like it.
I will also join Mechanicsburg, and see how the fishing is at the pond.
The pond sounds like a good place to introduce the grandsons to fishing.

Cheers
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM

(Cumberland County)
Yukondon is on a distinguished road

I'm a member a MSSA. The club is quite nice. I use the pond regularly with my 7 yr old son. You can also hunt on the 156 acres with blackpowder and shotgun.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM

(Cumberland County)
Nerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond reputeNerfsrule2 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Association Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
Evening everyone.

The significant other and I are looking to join a club that's close to home. Problem we've been running into is that most clubs require a sponsor, and I'm not familiar with anyone who belongs...anywhere...which is making joining a club difficult. Anyone know if Mechanicsburg Sportmen's Association requires a sponsor to join?

Thanks for your help!
I belonged years ago and they did at that time... But if you and your wife went to a meeting and introduced yourselves I am sure they would allow you sign up...BTW.. Palmyra Sportsmans Association has a true 24 hour indoor Pistol, 22 Rifle and Archery range...

Last edited by Nerfsrule2; January 2nd, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:39 PM

FishBizkit is an unknown quantity at this point

Update on an old post. In case anyone was looking back. MSA DOES now require a sponsor. Just an FYI.

-Fish!