Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default New to carry question

I'm new to carrying and was wondering, what is better for my mags? To load/unload them when I carry, or keep a mag loaded all the time? Is one going to wear out my spring more then the other? To be sure the question is understood I have 2 mags, I have one loaded all the time and keep it seperate from the gun when at home. When leaving the house and carrying I put it in. Is this better or worse then loading a mag, carrying, then coming home and unloading the mag again only to load it up again tomorrow when you go out.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: New to carry question

Keep it loaded.

With a properly designed/chosen modern spring, set is not an issue as much as exercising them, which is typically what wears them out.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

What Pa Patriot said. Loading and unloading will wear the spring out eventually. Being fully extended or fully compressed will not hurt it at all. Keep the mag loaded.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lancshooter74 View Post
    To be sure the question is understood I have 2 mags, I have one loaded all the time and keep it seperate from the gun when at home. When leaving the house and carrying I put it in. Is this better or worse then loading a mag, carrying, then coming home and unloading the mag again only to load it up again tomorrow when you go out.
    At first I thought you were asking if loading and unloading a magazine will cause excessive wear to the magazine spring... to which the answer is yes.

However, after re-reading your question, it almost seems as if you are asking if excessive loading and unloading of the gun will cause excessive wear. (Putting the mag in, taking it out, putting it back in, etc..) In which case it would cause minimal wear on the magazine release spring, etc...

If I'm reading too much into your question, please forgive me!

(Lehigh County)

I recommend loading both mags so you have a spare when you carry.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lancaster County)

I believe you all gave me the info I was looking for. Thank you. I should have let well enough alone and not explained further in my OP. My question was directed at the mags and not the gun. I too thought it would be better for the springs to keep them compressed with ammo all the time rather then "working them" by unloading and loading over and over again. I figured there was enough informed (and experienced) people on here to confirm my suspicions. Thanks again all for the replies. You have been most helpful.

Just one question. Do you keep one in the chamber?

Depending on your home situation (children) will dictate how you secure the gun while home. Maybe a good gun safe in the bedroom.

But you'll find that many just keep it fully loaded, in condition one, cocked and locked, magazine in the gun all the time.

Same for whatever you're using for home defense. Shotgun or whatever loaded with one in the chamber, safety on.

If and when you may need a gun you may not have time to load it. Or not wanting to make a lot of noise and give your position away.

But it is your decision as to how you keep the gun. Both stored and while carrying.

Stay safe.

(Lancaster County)

I do not keep one in the chamber...yet. This is something that has been bugging me ever since I got this gun. I had a Kel-tec for about 12 years and was very comfortable with it. I believe it was too small for me and I couldn't hit anything consistantly with it. (why I sold it). however, with that I carried with one in the pipe. The gun was time tested with me in my eyes. This gun (my XD) seems much more consistant, feels better in my hand, and I am one of those people who was swayed towards it due to the safety features. It also is less then 2 weeks old. I do not belong to any clubs...yet and feel I would benefit (and enjoy) more time shooting then I currently get. I have been "practicing" drawing with my unloaded gun and have no issues I see keeping my finger out of and away from the trigger guard. I also have been paying attention to re-holstering the gun and keeping my palm off the grip safety. I plan to carry one in the chamber ready to go as I get more comfortable with the gun. As for the home, I have locking gun cabinet that soon will get traded in for a gun safe (wife keeps letting me buy guns and I am running out of room). YAY MY WIFE. In the cabinet I keep the XD, slide back, loaded clip in, cabinet locked.