Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Carrying in a School

Didn't want to use my normal PAFOA account so I made a throwaway account so as not to possibly give away any information. Probably don't need to, but just an extra precaution.

I work in a school, and as we all know the wording of Title 18, SS 912 is a little confusing and until we get a verdict from the trial about the doctor who carried at his children's school, we don't have any official yea or nay on what the language "other lawful purposes" constitutes.

But, keeping that in mind...

Assuming "other lawful purpose" means that Self Defense as declared on the LTCF is a lawful purpose, and given my schools policy on "Unauthorized possession" on school property... I'm thinking that if I get permission from those who run the school (it's a privately funded school) I would be authorized per the employee handbook rules, and then being authorized I then fall under section C as:

It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity (being employed there) or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    My school has no SRO or security personnel of any kind. Entry into the building is spotty with teachers leaving through multiple doors in an old building where the doors don't always fully shut behind them. There have been several incidents where it required normal day-to-day staff to intervene which is beyond their requirements. And there is no formal vetting process at the front door to definitively tell who is entering the building. The entry vestibule has very poor LoS and the cameras in the building are maybe 480p when taking still photos, worse with video.

Assuming the people who run the school are open to reasoning, and these points are taken into account... do you think I have a decent shot at navigating the no-school-carry?

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Carrying in a School

I am in no way an expert. My only input would be there is a very good chance that if caught, you would have a very long and drawn out legal process in your future and would most likely be the test case.
    Male RN

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAway View Post
    Didn't want to use my normal PAFOA account so I made a throwaway account so as not to possibly give away any information. Probably don't need to, but just an extra precaution.

I work in a school, and as we all know the wording of Title 18, SS 912 is a little confusing and until we get a verdict from the trial about the doctor who carried at his children's school, we don't have any official yea or nay on what the language "other lawful purposes" constitutes.

But, keeping that in mind...

Assuming "other lawful purpose" means that Self Defense as declared on the LTCF is a lawful purpose, and given my schools policy on "Unauthorized possession" on school property... I'm thinking that if I get permission from those who run the school (it's a privately funded school) I would be authorized per the employee handbook rules, and then being authorized I then fall under section C as:

My school has no SRO or security personnel of any kind. Entry into the building is spotty with teachers leaving through multiple doors in an old building where the doors don't always fully shut behind them. There have been several incidents where it required normal day-to-day staff to intervene which is beyond their requirements. And there is no formal vetting process at the front door to definitively tell who is entering the building. The entry vestibule has very poor LoS and the cameras in the building are maybe 480p when taking still photos, worse with video.

Assuming the people who run the school are open to reasoning, and these points are taken into account... do you think I have a decent shot at navigating the no-school-carry?
    Could you sneak one past them? Sure.

By navigating if you mean reasoning with and/or getting permission to carry, it won't happen. No employee or administrator will buck policy with themselves being fearful of reprisal. (loss of job, etc.) Plus, if you have the weapon in your car on school grounds you are already in violation. The people who "run the school" are the policy makers - in the PA that is the School Board. The safest way to tackle this issue is as a concerned citizen, sans weapon, at a school board meeting.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

(Mercer County)

I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever seen somebody go about a sockpuppet in this fashion.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Without re-reading Gunlawyer's links, I believe he(Gunlawyer) bitch slapped the system many months back.

I am under the impression that self defense IS the acceptable defense. Now, you may be breaking local school rules or even PSEA rules of conduct that would get you reduced to non-teaching status.

IANAL, but Gunlawyer is.......... at least he plays one on the web!!
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAway View Post

It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity (being employed there) or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    You need to consider what I bolded, not what you bolded. Is there an activity or course at this school requiring the use of firearms? Being employed at the school is likely not the activity you think that would allow this action.

IANAL, and I am posting from my real account.

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I am under the impression that self defense IS the acceptable defense. Now, you may be breaking local school rules or even PSEA rules of conduct that would get you reduced to non-teaching status.
    The OP never stated being a teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Yeah, no offense, but I think you're trying to spin the wording "used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity" to suit your needs rather that for its intended purpose. Your employment is not a supervised school activity, and I think that that's pretty obvious. The supervised school activity that comes immediately to mind is when applied to its use related to a school shooting team.

However, there still is the "other lawful purpose" argument, and if the school is willing to give you the permission that you seek, then your case might be stronger once you're arrested.

Yeah this is going to end well.

Member with sock puppet account (against forum rules and may get a perma ban) wants everyone to theorize how the OP may get away with EDC in a school.
    FUCK BIDEN

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Without re-reading Gunlawyer's links, I believe he(Gunlawyer) bitch slapped the system many months back.

IANAL, but Gunlawyer is.......... at least he plays one on the web!!
    PSEA does not have that authority. Nor, in a case like this, would they take any affirmative action. At best, they might refuse to offer defensive legal representation.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast