Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Carrying in New York

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    A pistol permit is not a carry permit. The NY State Police numbers for Concealed Carry Permits are 93K.

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm
    actually new york issues "license to carry pistol" not pistol permits

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    Let's be clear. There are licenses just to BUY a gun in NYS (seperate from NYC). You can't even TOUCH a gun in a gun shop without one, and you need a license for EACH gun.

Then there are carry licenses which are MAY ISSUE, and very, very expensive, and difficult to approve, because the issuing authority can deny you for whatever they want and often do.

New York SUCKS for gun ownership. and legal carry. But, make yourself feel better, that's OK.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    JRS is correct. It gets better, request for hand guns in excess of four requires proof of ownership of a safe, bill of sale and two photos. One with the door open and one with the door closed.
    Please quote a law for this. No where have I found this to be true.

(Erie County)

So you can get a permit to carry an automatic weapon in NYS? Amazing!

her family lives in New York City.
    ZERO chance. I, or my corpse, would not be caught dead anywhere within New York State, New Jersey or Maryland. if you are going to go see them, you will have to either break the "law" or disarm yourself. I'm not suggesting either/or.

(Perry County)

In response to Tootie's comment on stating law, I should have stated that what I wrote applies to NYC. I have the book that NYPD gave me when I was given a license. Everything I wrote is fact and applies to NYC. For anyone interested I have attached the application I had to complete in order to apply for premise permit. Assuming the following is true, Watervliet, NY pistol permit application asks for Facebook name and password. In general what is happening to NYS should not happen anywhere in this country.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...book-password/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dorian; October 29th, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
    "Any American who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him
    better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    Please quote a law for this. No where have I found this to be true.
    There is no "law" to quote.... this is an administrative procedure implemented by Westchester County. Here's an article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.207377

A pistol permit is not a carry permit.
    There are types of pistol permits in NY that are not carry permits. However, they are issued on a very rare basis. The vast, vast majority of permits issued to citizens are indeed carry permits.

The NY State Police numbers for Concealed Carry Permits are 93K.

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm
    As your link clearly states, the 93k number is the number of pistol permits that were amended in 2009. That's not a count of pistol permits, that's a count of people who changed something on their permit in 2009. An "amendment" generally refers to "added a pistol to the permit."

PM me for a list of the 312,000 names and addresses of permit holders obtained via FOIL request.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Let's be clear. There are licenses just to BUY a gun in NYS (seperate from NYC). You can't even TOUCH a gun in a gun shop without one, and you need a license for EACH gun.
    False, false, false.

There are purchase coupons that indicate you have registered a pistol to your permit. These coupons are given to the FFL in order to take possession.

You can touch a pistol in a gun shop without a purchase coupon. You may not touch a pistol in a gun shop without a pistol permit.

You do not need a license for each pistol. You do need to acquire a purchase coupon prior to taking possession of a pistol, but a purchase coupon is not a license and is not something you hang onto (it is given to the FFL and you never see it again).

GUYS... PLEASE... stop spouting the tales you've heard online or from friends as fact.
    Last edited by OwnTheRide; October 29th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.

NY is not hung up on the terminology like PA seems to be. The front of my permit says "license to carry pistol" and the back says the following:

This license is issued under the following conditions:
    1) It is revocable at any time.
    2) This permit is not good in New York City
    3) Report change of address within 10 days to issuing office.

In NY, it is both a license and a permit. Per my recollection, both terms are used in the legal statutes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post

Then there are carry licenses which are MAY ISSUE, and very, very expensive, and difficult to approve, because the issuing authority can deny you for whatever they want and often do.

New York SUCKS for gun ownership. and legal carry. But, make yourself feel better, that's OK.
    do you have any first hand experience with the NYS pistol permit process? if not and you are just going with what you heard from someone on a forum who heard it on a different form do not then use it as a way to bash New York, yes i do agree the gun laws are beyond stupid, but with that being said they are quite as bad as everyone thinks.

First there is only one type of license in NYS, and that is a license to carry a pistol. But on that license a Judge can then put restrictions if they see fit, some counties do this and others dont even bother unless the individual requests the restrictions. And on the same token the restrictions dont really hold any legal weight. If a person has the hunting/target only restriction and they decide to CC and get caught there is no legal repercussions such as arrest. If the officer is feeling like a dick they could say something to the judge who if they are having a bad day or one of the anti (ithaca comes to mind) areas they could then revoke the license..

there is only one price for this as well. and for the issuing officer denying it often, that only depends on the county it is hit or miss.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast