Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Out of country citizen and LCTF/CCW

Yeah, I'm a US citizen residing in Canada. I'm not sure whether or not I can apply as a non-resident LCTF but the kicker is I'm legally allowed to carry a firearm for work so that may change the situation a bit more.

I don't really get down to the US more than 2-3 times per year but I'd like to have the option to carry if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pandemic View Post
    Yeah, I'm a US citizen residing in Canada. I'm not sure whether or not I can apply as a non-resident LCTF but the kicker is I'm legally allowed to carry a firearm for work so that may change the situation a bit more.

I don't really get down to the US more than 2-3 times per year but I'd like to have the option to carry if needed.
    If you are a resident of the county you apply in, you can get the LTCF there, does not matter that you live/work or study out of state.

You need to prove residency for the past 3 months.
    The area you are in has a Police academy in Canada, is that where you are?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

This may be an interesting test case. Pennsylvania law is silent on citizens who reside outside of the United States. However, it does talk about states, but doesn't necessarily exclude those who don't live in a "state."

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Also, there is a federal case that deals with a Canadian resident who is a US citizen who wants to purchase firearms in the US. Dearth v Holder is the case. This could open the door.

(Susquehanna County)

I've been watching Dearth v Holder closely. I've also spoken with the comm2a group about my situation.
    http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/43-c...tch/160-dearth

I'll speak with the Susq County Sheriff at some point. I think I have a good case.

Frenchy, I'm not at the Ontario Police College but I'm actively applying to various services. I actually have my fitness test tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by pandemic View Post
    I've been watching Dearth v Holder closely. I've also spoken with the comm2a group about my situation.
    http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/43-c...tch/160-dearth

I'll speak with the Susq County Sheriff at some point. I think I have a good case.

Frenchy, I'm not at the Ontario Police College but I'm actively applying to various services. I actually have my fitness test tomorrow morning.
    Cool Beans!

I had thought of going RCMP when I was younger... Shoulda coulda type situation
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    If you are a resident of the county you apply in, you can get the LTCF there, does not matter that you live/work or study out of state.
    If he lives outside of a PA county, he is not a PA resident. Period.

If he owns and maintains a second residence in PA, then (according to the BATFE) he is a resident of PA during those periods when he is actually living in the PA house. Just owning a rental property in PA doesn't establish residency.

And BATFE rules may or may not have any impact on issuing a LTCF.

(Montgomery County)

OP...Do you have a US Passport?
    What US state does it list as your address?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    OP...Do you have a US Passport?
    What US state does it list as your address?
    US Passports do not show a state of residence. There is a page for the bearer to OPTIONALLY fill out with his address in PENCIL but that is of no consequence regarding proof of state or even country of residence - it only validates US citizenship at the time of issuance. Also consider that some US citizens can also have citizenship in other contries (dual citizens).
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 21st, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
    IANAL

(Susquehanna County)

I thought there was another state (like Ohio or Oregon?) that issued CCW to non-residents and it also had reciprocity with PA and other states.

Just call Centre County and speak to Sheriff Denny Nau. I don't think there's a more 2A-friendly sheriff anywhere in PA. (814) 355-6803.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast