Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Lightbulb Idea for those afraid to carry chambered.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, although lurking for several months, this is my first post and it came from some carry questions I've read through the history.

I just received my LTCF a few weeks ago from the Allegheny County Sheriff's office and will start carrying soon. I've owned a G17 for about 7 years, and just purchased a G23 for CC as soon as I take a class.

Enough about me...

Back to my idea for those afraid to carry a chambered round. I just had an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Would it be feasible to carry a blank in the chamber to cycle the gun upon first shot? A blank into the leg, or anywhere else at close range would be detrimental, but I would imagining it having a less damaging effect than a JHP would? I’ve never shot a blank round before so I don’t know about cycling issues. This is just a thought. I would think squeezing the trigger in a situation you will be shooting in would be a lot faster than pulling the slide to load the first shell out of the chamber.

I will be carrying chambered as it will give me the nice even number of 40 – 40s with 2 extra mags…

(Berks County)

Default Re: Idea for those afraid to carry chambered.

A blank won' cycle the slide on most weapons. The hollyweird folks use modified weapons in order to do that.

ETA: Welcome to the forum. As someone who has been lurking for a while I'm sure you know that this is a great place for information.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum!

Theoretically it should work the way you described it, but if someone truly did plan on doing this I would test it extensively at a range to see the results. Personally I would prefer just to carry a chambered round because as long as you are cautious and familiar with your firearm, accidental discharge would be exceptionally unlikely. Just my $.02

I have never used blanks so i am unsure of their ability to cycle properly

(Fayette County)

There goes that idea, I thought I had a work-around for anyone on the fence.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bvaguy30 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, although lurking for several months, this is my first post and it came from some carry questions I've read through the history.

I just received my LTCF a few weeks ago from the Allegheny County Sheriff's office and will start carrying soon. I've owned a G17 for about 7 years, and just purchased a G23 for CC as soon as I take a class.

Enough about me...

Back to my idea for those afraid to carry a chambered round. I just had an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Would it be feasible to carry a blank in the chamber to cycle the gun upon first shot? A blank into the leg, or anywhere else at close range would be detrimental, but I would imagining it having a less damaging effect than a JHP would? I’ve never shot a blank round before so I don’t know about cycling issues. This is just a thought. I would think squeezing the trigger in a situation you will be shooting in would be a lot faster than pulling the slide to load the first shell out of the chamber.

I will be carrying chambered as it will give me the nice even number of 40 – 40s with 2 extra mags…
    More to the point, anyone who is afraid to carry a chambered round in a modern pistol needs to be educated.

I also would not recommend the blank into the leg business from both a tactical and legal standpoint.

By the way- congrats on the 23 and the decision to carry after being trained. Both are good choices!

The best way to carry chambered is to have a pistol that can do a double action pull on the first shot, and single action after that. That way you need a lot more force to get that first shot off. Even if you're less accurate with double action, you probably have a reasonably fat clip behind it with a lot of single action shots to go.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaRogue View Post
    The best way to carry chambered is to have a pistol that can do a double action pull on the first shot, and single action after that. That way you need a lot more force to get that first shot off. Even if you're less accurate with double action, you probably have a reasonably fat clip behind it with a lot of single action shots to go.
    EEEEKKKKKK!

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Monroe County)

If the situation presents itself that requires that a weapon is pointed at somebody all shots should be lethal. Shooting to wound or a warning shot in a situation that requires a firearm to be drawn will just get you or your loved ones killed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaRogue View Post

MAGAZINE!!!!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    More to the point, anyone who is afraid to carry a chambered round in a modern pistol needs to be educated.

Ditto. Screwing around with blanks would be ill advised.

Go get professional self defense training. Carry empty chamber until you are 100% confident in that mode of carry.

Welcome aboard!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast