Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Arizona man accidentally shoots and kills girlfriend while hugging her

Probably would have happened even without a round in the chamber, right?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/0...e-hugging-her/
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Arizona man accidentally shoots and kills girlfriend while hugging her

The man told police that the gun had been causing his girlfriend discomfort during the hug so he attempted to move it. That’s when the weapon discharged.
    Most likely the holster was not properly covering the trigger, or it was a very soft holster that allowed him to move the trigger while "attempting to move it." There is nothing worse than an unloaded gun. A gun without a round in the chamber is unloaded. YMMV.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Arizona man accidentally shoots and kills girlfriend while hugging her

Thompson said the woman and her 18-year-old boyfriend were hugging when she became uncomfortable with a gun in his waistband.

The man was in the process of removing the gun when it discharged and shot the woman.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...#ixzz2gbW9Iq9S
    A round in the chamber. It didn't have anything to do with an 18-yr old, probably with no training, with a gun stuffed inside his waistband?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Most likely the holster was not properly covering the trigger, or it was a very soft holster that allowed him to move the trigger while "attempting to move it." There is nothing worse than an unloaded gun. A gun without a round in the chamber is unloaded. YMMV.
    "the gun he was wearing in his waistband went off"

Or he didn't have a holster at all

Scruff beat me to it^^^^^^^^

I can think of thousands of things that are worse than an unloaded gun. Cancer. Heroin. A nagging wife. Flooding. Drought. Muggers. Sour milk. An empty holster. Federal deficits. High taxes. Bad doctors. Flat tires.

Seriously, "nothing" worse than a gun with a full mag and an empty chamber? Your life must have been blessed to an extent that I'm forced to envy, if having to rack the slide is the worst thing that you can imagine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I can think of thousands of things that are worse than an unloaded gun. Cancer. Heroin. A nagging wife. Flooding. Drought. Muggers. Sour milk. An empty holster. Federal deficits. High taxes. Bad doctors. Flat tires.

Seriously, "nothing" worse than a gun with a full mag and an empty chamber? Your life must have been blessed to an extent that I'm forced to envy, if having to rack the slide is the worst thing that you can imagine.
    perhaps you're taking that to literally.

(Northampton County)

All kinds of uncharitable thoughts come to mind reading this, so I'll use restraint since it's not that kind of story, so praise me for that, how long would it take to unholster?

Gunlawyer, you say that as if there has never been an ND when the gun was supposed to have an empty chamber. Carelessness is carelessness whether the gun usually has +1 or not. My limited experience of people that I know and have met is that people who keep their guns without a round in the chamber typically have less muzzle control and are less safe/more careless with their guns than one who always has a round in the chamber. This is, I believe, because in their mind since the gun isn't loaded, it's not as dangerous and they become more complacent.

Now I know I've probably just stepped on a few toes and that's OK. I'm sure all the guys that do carry without a round chambered are now writing me a mean reply. So be it. These are my observations from the people I've met in life. I hope that all of you on this forum that do carry in this manner aren't like the people I've met. I really do.

Anyways back to the point. Complacency is what kills (literally). Whether you're complacent with a round chambered or not doesn't really matter because as time and time again show, people make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are thinking the chamber is empty (as it always is) but this time it's not and it goes bang. Or the mistake could be that you become complacent in your handling of a gun you know has a round in the chamber.

I'm pretty sure you and I have talked before about the numbers of NDs compared to the number of self defense shootings (actual shootings not just displays). And we came to the conclusion that we really don't know what happens more. Unfortunately this is a no win situation. Either you carry without one in the chamber and hope that if you ever do need it, that you have two hands available, or you carry +1 and live with the increased possibility of an ND. Pick your poison.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I can think of thousands of things that are worse than an unloaded gun. A nagging wife.
    Ya got me there pal!

First "nothing worse" is a figure of speech, but you are correct, I should have prefaced by saying "when you need a gun quickly".......

. . .

First "nothing worse" is a figure of speech, but you are correct, I should have prefaced by saying "when you need a gun quickly".......
    Or in this case, "when you'd prefer a live girlfriend"...

I'm just pointing these things out so that you can factor in the reality that accidents happen.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast