Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry

Notices

Concealed & Open Carry Discuss all aspects of carrying firearms here.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM

(Allegheny County)
BandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond reputeBandanaBandit1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 18 Year old Carry Questions...

Okay so in a few weeks ill be turning 18. As soon as i turn 18 id like to begin to excercise my carry rights. My questions are: When im 18 am i allowed to OPEN CARRY a pistol (that was gifted from my parents, do i need any documentation for this?). Also i know i cant carry it loaded in a vehicle and a first class city (Does Pittsbugh qualify as one?). Someone also mentioned if i wanted to carry concealed i should try to obtain a Maine Carry Permit (as they issue to non-residents, which would somehow give me the option to ccw) Can someone shed some light on this thanks!

Also, today in a Large chain outdoors shop i (with parent) was looking at firearms. I saw a pistol i would like to take a better look at and asked the salesman behind the counter if i could. He came out with a flat out "No, unless your 21", now i thought that if he handed it to my parent then they handed it to me that it would be okay for my to handle, But apparently not. Also the salesman said i couldnt even OC a Handgun unless im 21. Thanks for everyones help!!!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
BimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 Year old Carry Questions...

In PA (except Philly), you being 18 can Open Carry.

In Philly, you can't since it is a 1st class city (only one in PA) and a LTCF is required to OC or CC.

To purchase a firearm in PA, you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL.
You could legally purchase a firearm at 18, but a Sheriff would need to conduct the transfer (Good Luck with that)

Your parent can gift you a firearm, but they can't buy one from an FFL for you.

You can't carry in a car loaded OR unloaded without a LTCF. There are exceptions such as going to/from the range, place of repair, etc.
You can't conceal and you can't carry withing 1000feet of a school

"Anyone" 18+ non-prohibited to carry or buy firearms can Open Carry in PA (outside Phila).... you don't have to be 21 and you don't need a LTCF

This is a lot to type to accurately tell you everything.... Go read the stickies and then come back with your questions.

Last edited by BimmerJon; June 2nd, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM

rmodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond reputermodel65 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

iirc Maine issues at 18get a Maine permit then apply for another license that grants reciprocity with PA...youll be able to car carry with the Maine license IANAL
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Master Member

(Northampton County)
ungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond repute

You can OC in PA at 18.

But you CAN'T even transport the handgun unloaded in the trunk of a car. Unless going to or from a range, gunsmith, etc.

So, you have to leave your house on foot to OC and walk everywhere until you make it back home.

If you get a carry license from ANY state you can transport or OC a handgun in a car. But you still can't conceal it on or about your person unless PA recognizes that state's license. But I think the former is your biggest problem.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM

Rollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeRollon18wheeler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
iirc Maine issues at 18get a Maine permit then apply for another license that grants reciprocity with PA...youll be able to car carry with the Maine license IANAL
get maine's- (you can get maine's at 18 years old) then when you get it, apply for new hampshire.(new hampshire will give anyone their license as long as you have one from another state already (which would be maine's). then carry on new hampshire's license.

Quote:
A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ts/dssp260.pdf
page 2 on here..
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Moderator Emeritus

(Franklin County)
gnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond reputegnbrotz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to gnbrotz Send a message via AIM to gnbrotz Send a message via MSN to gnbrotz Send a message via Yahoo to gnbrotz Send a message via Skype™ to gnbrotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
Your parent can gift you a firearm, but they can't buy one from an FFL for you.
Yes they can. What makes you think a parent can't gift a firearm purchased from an FFL? And in PA, how else would they legally obtain a handgun?

Last edited by gnbrotz; June 2nd, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM

(Philadelphia County)
SAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond reputeSAB215 has a reputation beyond repute

They could buy one from an FFL and turn around and hand you the gun.

My grandfather bought me my gun a few days before my 21st and did that exact same thing in the store.

What would be illegal would be for YOU to give them YOUR money to purchase the gun for you, that's a straw purchase.

Last edited by SAB215; June 2nd, 2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added straw purchase
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
BimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
Yes they can. What makes you think a parent can't gift a firearm purchased from an FFL? And in PA, how else would they legally obtain a handgun?
That 12A question is worded poorly but yes for a gift it is legal. If the parent bought it for him (exchanged $$$), that would seem to go against the 4473 question
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)
ByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond reputeByblosHex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
That 12A question is worded poorly but yes for a gift it is legal. If the parent bought it for him (exchanged $$$), that would seem to go against the 4473 question
Gifting a Firearm doesn't become a straw purchase based on the origin of the money. Where the money comes from has nothing to do with the parent gifting a firearm.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
Gifting a Firearm doesn't become a straw purchase based on the origin of the money. Where the money comes from has nothing to do with the parent gifting a firearm.
It's not a gift if someone gives you money to buy something, so the origin of the money is very important.

There is no such law as a Straw purchase. The illegal activity is not answering question 12A honestly. If you are buying a firearm with the intention to gift it to someone, that is legal. If the person is not a family exception, youd have to then transfer it again through an FFL/Sheriff anyways.

If you are buying a firearm for someone else, you are not the true buyer according to the question.

Basically, unless the FFL can mind read, question 12A is ambiguous at best.

Last edited by BimmerJon; June 2nd, 2011 at 08:16 PM.