Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry

Notices

Concealed & Open Carry Discuss all aspects of carrying firearms here.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM

danielbui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default non resident AZ or FL ccw?

Whats the difference between the non res AZ and FL ccw? I want to carry it in PA but i am a resident in NJ. I am in the army, so i have dd214 and a military id card so would that cover the course for FL and AZ? or just FL?

basically i want to know which ccw is for me. cheaper and less hassle.

and do I need to apply for a ccw in PA or could I just show them the AZ or FL ccw if asked?

also i dont know if this is relevant in this section, but how does OC work in PA. do I need any LTCF in PA?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
soberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond reputesoberbyker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to soberbyker Send a message via Yahoo to soberbyker
Default Re: non resident AZ or FL ccw?

Between AZ and FL, AZ is cheaper.

AZ: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

FL: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

As for a PA LTCF you won't get it unless you have one from NJ, you need a license from your home state (if your state issues a permit/license) in order to get a non-resident PA LTCF.

Last edited by soberbyker; March 30th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Between AZ and FL, AZ is cheaper.

AZ: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

FL: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

As for a PA LTCF you won't get it unless you have one from NJ, you need a license from your home state (if your state issues a permit/license) in order to get a non-resident PA LTCF.

ok so my best option would to go with AZ because its cheaper than FL and its the same as FL right? both honored by PA. if i have my AZ, would that be all i need to ccw in pa? like if im asked by the LEO for proof of my ccw.

and i guess i wont be getting the pa LTCF lol
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Grand Member

HiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond repute

Since PA and AZ have reciprocity with PA, your AZ permit is fine to carry concealed or in a vehicle in PA.

In Philly you need a PA LTCF or a reciprocal one to carry open or concealed. Elsewhere in the state no license/permit is required to OC (while on foot).

However, Philly just passed a BS law saying that they will not recognize another state's license/permit to carry CC or OC in their fair city

Looks like it will take a court fight to resolve that

BTW, AZ does not require a photo on the license, while FL does. Both require fingerprints.

You might want to check the states FL and AZ have reciprocity with, both cover about the same, but I believe there is one difference.
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
mrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond repute

AZ is cheaper...and turn around time is much quicker...about 2 weeks.

You would need fingerprints for both...FL MUST be done by LEO, AZ can be done by anybody. For renewals you would have to be printed for FL again, but not for AZ renewal.

Renewal for FL would cost $107....AZ would cost $43.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
Since PA and AZ have reciprocity with PA, your AZ permit is fine to carry concealed or in a vehicle in PA.

In Philly you need a PA LTCF or a reciprocal one to carry open or concealed. Elsewhere in the state no license/permit is required to OC (while on foot).

However, Philly just passed a BS law saying that they will not recognize another state's license/permit to carry CC or OC in their fair city

so no OC or CC for me in philly even with an AZ or FL ccw. it is impossible for me to get a NJ ccw so no PA LTCF.

so your saying i can OC anywhere in PA except in philly without any license or permit whatsoever? that easy? wow damn NJ.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Chester County)
tl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbui View Post
so no OC or CC for me in philly even with an AZ or FL ccw. it is impossible for me to get a NJ ccw so no PA LTCF.

so your saying i can OC anywhere in PA except in philly without any license or permit whatsoever? that easy? wow damn NJ.
Yes provided that place is not Federally or Commonwealth prohibited.

Also remember that, although in general you can OC without a license, you cannot transport the handgun in a vehicle nor can you OC in Phila.

I'm not going into the issue of what handgun you are going to carry since you are coming from NJ. You're already exposed to that issue in another thread you've started.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Grand Member

(McKean County)
God's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It is completely lawful with a AZ or FL non res permit. The Philly law is unenforceable, and they know it. Doesn't mean you won't get hassled.

Quote:
It's not quite that simple. OC is lawful while on foot without a LTCF. You still need a license to transport the firearm if the goal is to OC or CC.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
Yes provided that place is not Federally or Commonwealth prohibited.

Also remember that, although in general you can OC without a license, you cannot transport the handgun in a vehicle nor can you OC in Phila.

I'm not going into the issue of what handgun you are going to carry since you are coming from NJ. You're already exposed to that issue in another thread you've started.
to clarify...

i am a NJ resident.

so i was to have my handgun loaded visible in my vehicle in PA. i can OC down the street (except philly) with out any paperwork. but to have the handgun loaded visible in the vehicle, i would need a ccw, either from AZ or Fl non resident. because having the handgun in the car is concealed correct?

correct?
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
mrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
to clarify...

i am a NJ resident.

so i was to have my handgun loaded visible in my vehicle in PA. i can OC down the street (except philly) with out any paperwork. but to have the handgun loaded visible in the vehicle, i would need a ccw, either from AZ or Fl non resident. because having the handgun in the car is concealed correct?

correct?
Correct...in the vehicle and/or concealed both require a license