Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry

Notices

Concealed & Open Carry Discuss all aspects of carrying firearms here.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 16th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Philadelphia County)
gbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond reputegbrown221 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gbrown221 Send a message via Yahoo to gbrown221
Default Florida no longer accepting DD214 or Hunter Safety??

I saw this posted on a website for a trainer in Philadlephia area. Bold is from the OTHER trainers website.

The Florida Division of Licensing (Website Contact: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/contacts/index.html Florida CCW Application Processing Unit Phone: 850-245-5691. Division's Legal Dept. Phone: 850-245-5491) is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates, or copies of Military IDs (active duty) as proof of firearms safety training that fulfills the education requirements of the Florida Statutes. Likewise, they are no longer recognizing any Hunter Safety certificates, nor are they accepting proof of being an active duty or retired law enforcement officer as valid proof of acceptable firearms training.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/CCW01.html

The Florida website and their current Concealed Weapons Permit application packet does not reference this.

Do any of the other instructors, knowledgeable folk, lawyers, etc. have any enlightenment on this? I want to make sure I am providing my students the most accurate information. Many times I am turning students away because they have items such as a DD214, etc. I do have an email into Florida also about this matter.

I can't in good conscience take their money if they allready qualify unless they merely want to take the class for added training. We are still offering fingerprints, notary, photos, etc. for applicants who allready have acceptable training that meets FL requirements for a reduced fee.

gbrown221
Utah CFP Instructor
info@team-life.org
www.team-life.org

Last edited by gbrown221; October 17th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
mrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida no longer accepting DD214 or Hunter Safety??

The corresponding statue doesn't look any different either. Looking over the site for new bills....

ETA: I see one bill that would have changed some things in that statute...but acceptable training requirements were not any of those things..only fingerprints...and that bill died in committee

S0136

ETA: FWIW...I googled " is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates," and only got 2 direct hits...this thread....and Eimer's website.

Last edited by mrjam2jab; October 16th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
Rosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond reputeRosco the Iroc has a reputation beyond repute

Bad part is I can see why they stopped. At least with the Navy a good 80% don't know muzzle from breach. Untill I got on the rilfe team I never even got any instruction inc the BS bootcamp class.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

biggest little town on the map, Pennsylvania
(Warren County)
chez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond reputechez323 has a reputation beyond repute

I just received my Florida CCW, mailed it out 16 days ago and I used my DD214 as proof. It showed up in my mailbox yesterday no questions whatsoever concerning my DD214 or training.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
I saw this posted on a website for a trainer in Philadlephia area. Bold is from the other trainers website.

The Florida Division of Licensing (Website Contact: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/contacts/index.html Florida CCW Application Processing Unit Phone: 850-245-5691. Division's Legal Dept. Phone: 850-245-5491) is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates, or copies of Military IDs (active duty) as proof of firearms safety training that fulfills the education requirements of the Florida Statutes. Likewise, they are no longer recognizing any Hunter Safety certificates, nor are they accepting proof of being an active duty or retired law enforcement officer as valid proof of acceptable firearms training.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/CCW01.html

The Florida website and their current Concealed Weapons Permit application packet does not reference this.

Do any of the other instructors, knowledgeable folk, lawyers, etc. have any enlightenment on this? I want to make sure I am providing my students the most accurate information. Many times I am turning students away because they have items such as a DD214, etc. I do have an email into Florida also about this matter.

I can't in good conscience take their money if they allready qualify unless they merely want to take the class for added training. We are still offering fingerprints, notary, photos, etc. for applicants who allready have training for a reduced fee.

gbrown221
Utah CFP Instructor
info@team-life.org
www.team-life.org
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
mrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond reputemrjam2jab has a reputation beyond repute

If he had JUST said they no longer accept Hunter safety i would believed it...but even then they can't 'just stop accepting" it...they have to change the statute.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM

(Delaware County)
armabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond reputearmabill has a reputation beyond repute

On the DD214, it lists your firearms training. The badge(s) that you were awarded.
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

I think that training site is full of crap. FL's Dept of Agriculture, and statutes, still list the DD214 and hunter safety course as viable proof of training. That company is doing some false advertising.

FL Law:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0790.06.html

Quote:
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.
(2)The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
(h)Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
I think that training site is full of crap. FL's Dept of Agriculture, and statutes, still list the DD214 and hunter safety course as viable proof of training. That company is doing some false advertising.

That was my thoughts also....I was just waiting to see if someone came up with ANYTHING confirming what he said.

I also just sent this instructor an email asking for his source on this info.

Last edited by mrjam2jab; October 17th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM

(Allegheny County)
Kyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond reputeKyle H has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed them a couple weeks ago and they said my hunters ed would work
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM

SWinokur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
That was my thoughts also....I was just waiting to see if someone came up with ANYTHING confirming what he said.

I also just sent this instructor an email asking for his source on this info.
probably a gun store !