Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry > Concealed Carry

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM

(Philadelphia County)
OldToSold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Philadelphia Permit To Carry

I'm looking to get my permit to carry in Philadelphia.

But I hear the process could involve a long wait and I have to give two references with SSN numbers ? Also I need to be interviewed ????

Let me know exactly what steps are needed to get my PTC in Philadelphia.

Could someone please clear this up for me.
I should have applied for my permit in Bucks when I had the chance

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by OldToSold; February 28th, 2010 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Grand Member

HiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond reputeHiredGoon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philadelphia Permit To Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToSold View Post

But I hear the process could involve a long wait and I have to give two references with SSN numbers ? Also I need to be interviewed ????

Thanks for the help.
Details here.

apply for a "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearm" through the Philadelphia Police Department
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
it would be easier to move out of Philly, since they apparently think they're in NJ.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:36 AM

(Philadelphia County)
OldToSold is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really considering the move.

I remember when I went with a friend to get his permit in Levittown.

Fill out the forms, they copy your license. A permit in the mail came in like three days.

It seems like in Philly you have to sell the souls of your friends and give up your identity just to carry a firearm legally.

Meanwhile watch the news at night and see what criminals get away with.

What sparked my interest in finally getting a permit is the fact that I have owned rifles my entire life and only had handguns for home defense back up.

Yesterday I bought my first handgun that I really intended to carry.

I was kicking myself for not already having the permit.........
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Supporters: Bronze
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Montgomery County)
RJD357 will become famous soon enough

Unless they changed the form since October 2009 they do not require a SSN. They do ask for a PA Driver License #; home, work and cellular phone numbers; name; address; DOB; and various information about the applicant and your relationship with them. I filled one out for a friend/former coworker and he received his renewal with no problems. The Philadelphia PD did not contact me.

When I got my first LTCF in 1995 it was from Philly. The interview was done at NE Detectives. The cop pulled a typewritter (!) out of a desk drawer on some kind of spring-loaded contraption to report on me. I thought I was on the set of "Barney Miller". No wonder that crime was out of control in the neighborhood.

Leaving Philly was the best move I ever made. I hate even driving to city to visit friends and family. The only thing worse is going to NJ where you can't even carry.

Good luck with your license.
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Silver Supporters
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Delaware County)
Dannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond reputeDannytheman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dannytheman Send a message via Yahoo to Dannytheman

Quote:
I'm really considering the move.

I remember when I went with a friend to get his permit in Levittown.

Fill out the forms, they copy your license. A permit in the mail came in like three days.

It seems like in Philly you have to sell the souls of your friends and give up your identity just to carry a firearm legally.

Meanwhile watch the news at night and see what criminals get away with.

What sparked my interest in finally getting a permit is the fact that I have owned rifles my entire life and only had handguns for home defense back up.

Yesterday I bought my first handgun that I really intended to carry.

I was kicking myself for not already having the permit.........
Good luck getting your license to Carry Firearms. I will tell you this now, but there are some people on this wonderfully educational forum that get incredibly rude when people use wrong terminology. So I can help you and hope that you don't meat any of them, I will tell you that PA does not give out permits for gun carrying. It is a "license"! The thinking is that a permit is the state/county giving you permission to carry. We don't need permission because it is a God Given RIGHT! The license allows us to carry concealed, and to transport the gun in a vehicle.

So to Philly?? You are not legally required to give them your SS#. Philly is slightly more time consuming, but if you have no criminal history, you shouldn't have any trouble. There are links in this forum to the Philly LTCF directions, if I find them I will post them here.

Welcome to the forums!!

Old February 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

(Chester County)
GL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
If you don't want to deal with Philly PD and their BS, PM me and I'll let you know when I will be teaching the Utah course. One advantage is that with a Utah permit, it is good in PA and Delaware plus other states.
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Philadelphia County)
photoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond reputephotoshooter has a reputation beyond repute

Philly.
No social needed but they do imply that your references need to be PA residents because they specifically ask for PA driver license number (just saw that noted above too).
Expect about 8 weeks till you get your ltcf. That's what they were telling people when I went. Seems to be their "normal" turnaround time despite the fact that state law requires they do it in less time.

The paperwork that you download online gives all the specifics and you can print out the forms for your references to fill out. Two of my neighbors are serious gun enthusiasts and were more than happy to do it for me. Neither of them was contacted by PPD.

Surprisingly it could be the only municipal office I've ever been to in Philly where I didn't get attitude.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM

(Philadelphia County)
PhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond repute

When I applyed for my license in Philly I had asked one of my next door neighbors to fill out the reference form. After she read it she told me she wouldn't do it for anyone because she is against guns. She told me the idea of people walking the streets with guns scared her. I replyed, "Well what do you think the criminals are doing?" Also, that there are more citzens who already carry legally that you could imagine. To this day she is totally in the dark that bad people actually exist in Philly and even if she hears any type of negativity she blocks it from her ears and mind. So I went to someone else and had no problem. The girl who refused to help me still to this day thinks that everyone is a good person and is living in a plasticene false world. Obviously a liberal with the vision of a metro utopia that doesn't exist. She's only lying and fooling herself !
It's a shame though because she's too nice for her own good !