Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry > Concealed Carry

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 20th, 2010

(Cumberland County)
phrank is infamous around these partsphrank is infamous around these partsphrank is infamous around these partsphrank is infamous around these parts
Default IWB holster for fat guys?

So I'm kinda big bellied and have some love handles on the sides and such. I have been using a iwb plain jane soft holster from Blackhawk, it works pretty well, but I don't like the fact that there isn't anything that prevents someone from just coming up behind me and grabbing the gun out of my waist.

So I'd like something that has a snap or whatever to keep the gun in place, but has the same benefits as the soft iwb holster (comfort, good concealability, limited printing, etc)

Any suggestions? Again - looking for IWB for conceal carry, and if you've got a big belly and tell me what works for you that would be great, thanks.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 20th, 2010

ZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond reputeZO6Vettever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IWB holster for fat guys?

I have a blackhawk and it's not bad. I have a Kholster and it's darn comfy. I have a homemade leather that works pretty good. I use a "Tommy's Gun Pack" sometimes and it works great. I just made a Kydex IWB and it needs a couple "refinements" but overall ain't too bad. Never satisfied I guess. Kydex is cheap and very easy to work with. Fun too. The kydex I made is for apendix carry. I need to change the cant and make it longer as the muzzle pulls my fat up into the holster when I draw. Hurts real bad! Looks like I spent some time with a lady who knows her men!
Old January 20th, 2010

(Monroe County)
suzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond reputesuzukirider has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a short fat guy!! anyway glock-19 with milt sparks summer special 2($90)..nice holster sits low in the waistband..galco has a summer comfort.($59).the same almost ,,except the milt sparks is a little better made,.these don't have a strap or snaps tho..a galco fletch has a strap ..might be good for you..

Last edited by suzukirider; January 20th, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old January 20th, 2010
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

i'd advise against retention devices for concealed carry. if no one can see it, what would they be grabbing for? friction fit retention is good enough; just as long as it fits snugly, that should be enough.

think about it. let's say you're in a situation where you need to draw you're gun. not only do you have to lift your shirt/throw back your jacket/reach into your pants, you'd then have to disengage any retention device holding on to your gun. that's way too slow during an emergency situation.

level II retention is good for open carry; i use a SERPA holster, and it's been working out for me. for CC, i use an El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB. i'm also on the thick side; this holster is awesome. i can sit, stand, drive, walk around, and everything, with comfort, and i carry a full size 1911.

Last edited by jahwarrior72; January 20th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 20th, 2010
Grand Member

(Franklin County)
Smalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
i'd advise against retention devices for concealed carry. if no one can see it, what would they be grabbing for? friction fit retention is good enough; just as long as it fits snugly, that should be enough.

think about it. let's say you're in a situation where you need to draw you're gun. not only do you have to lift your shirt/throw back your jacket/reach into your pants, you'd then have to disengage any retention device holding on to your gun. that's way too slow during an emergency situation.

level II retention is good for open carry; i use a SERPA holster, and it's been working out for me. for CC, i use an El Paso Saddlery IWB. i'm also on the thick side; this holster is awesome. i can sit, stand, drive, walk around, and everything, with comfort, and i carry a full size 1911.
What do you feel about clip-draw?

I know they make some systems for Kel-tec and other small framed pistols. Would this be good for a "friction retention" system as you state?
Old January 20th, 2010
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

i've seen them. i thought about getting one for a P3AT i had, but i ended up getting a pocket holster instead, which i liked. clip-draws look like they might be a good alternative. i'd only worry about the finish of the slide: Keltecs rust fast if you sweat on them too long.
Old January 20th, 2010
Grand Member

(Washington County)
Azzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the other question... how much larger in size do you start buying pants for IWB carry? I haven't even considered it as buying a new wardrobe is a no go.
Old January 20th, 2010
Grand Member

(Franklin County)
Smalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond reputeSmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Here is the other question... how much larger in size do you start buying pants for IWB carry? I haven't even considered it as buying a new wardrobe is a no go.
You could either go a size or so.. Or use it as a good excuse to try and get fit..
Old January 20th, 2010

das has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond reputedas has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the very same question and A LOT of guys recommend a crossbreed so thats what Im looking into
Old January 20th, 2010

AR-15 Outlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
. for CC, i use an El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB. i'm also on the thick side; this holster is awesome. i can sit, stand, drive, walk around, and everything, with comfort, and i carry a full size 1911.

that holster looks like exactly what i been looking for but sadly they dont seem to make one for a glock 20... guess i might have to buy another gun soon nobody seems to make a good iwb holster for a glock 20 for under $80