Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Gun in Car when dropping kids of at school

Is it legal for me to have a loaded gun in my car while dropping my kids off at school if I do not get out of the vehicle? What about CC while driving in front of the school if the road is within 1000 ft. of the school?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun in Car when dropping kids of at school

I always avoided taking it even one inch onto school property.

(Delaware County)

Technically, you're breaking the law as soon as you pull out of your driveway

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Is it legal for me to have a loaded gun in my car while dropping my kids off at school if I do not get out of the vehicle? What about CC while driving in front of the school if the road is within 1000 ft. of the school?
    If your intent is to go to the school (drop off a kid) INAL but i believe that would be illegal...

Now if you're in a car driving past a school to get to another lcoation, INAL, but beleive you are good to go

(Indiana County)

We're mixing up state law and federal law here.

State law (http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...hool-property/) says you can't carry in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary school - and your car is a conveyance, even though it's your own kid.

It's highly unlikely you'd ever be prosecuted for such, even if you never exit the vehicle, but that's what the law states. Technically it's illegal, it reality it's less so.

Federal law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990) says you can't carry within 1,000 feet of school grounds, but you're exempt if you have a license from the state in which the school is located.

Since you're in Pennsylvania, and you have to have a license anyway to carry in a car, you don't have to worry about the federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Technically, you're breaking the law as soon as you pull out of your driveway
    What he said but here is the section:

18 Pa.C.S. § 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
    (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
    (b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
    © Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a
    lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    (Oct. 16, 1980, P.L.978, No.167, eff. 60 days)
    1980 Amendment. Act 167 added section 912. Cross References. Section 912 is referred to in
    section
    6105 of this title.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post
    What he said but here is the section:

18 Pa.C.S. § 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
    (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
    (b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
    © Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a
    lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    (Oct. 16, 1980, P.L.978, No.167, eff. 60 days)
    1980 Amendment. Act 167 added section 912. Cross References. Section 912 is referred to in
    section
    6105 of this title.

But that has never been tested, as far as I know. I would interpret that to mean legally carrying with a License to Carry a Firearm but INAL, nothing I say is law.

(Washington County)

Pull over off property and walk them there.

(Berks County)

I wouldn't test it.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4070BN View Post

But that has never been tested, as far as I know. I would interpret that to mean legally carrying with a License to Carry a Firearm but INAL, nothing I say is law.
    Been there, won that:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...age-912-a.html
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast