Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Need some friendly advice.

To make a long story short I had a pfa expire on me in 2009. Just this week I came up with enough nerve to go to the local court house to file for my ltc, also ordered an m&p .45 compact. Here's where I need the advice, for 3 years after the pfa I would not go near a gun store or even the court house. ( as you can tell that event in my life basically tramatized me). When the pfa was served they took all my guns including my step dads but we got them back. Should I be nervous that's the ltc will be denied or even when. I go to purchase my firearm ill be denied? I'm very nervous about this, but the way the world.is going. I'm gonna need to protect myself a.d my child

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need some friendly advice.

I had a PFA served against me during a divorce. They took my guns. They had already taken my LTCF a week earlier. I wouldnt sign the divorce papers until the PFA was lifted. After it was removed, I got everything back. Guns and LTCF. I also renewed it 2x since then. A PFA is a great tool for an angry woman!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I had a PFA served against me during a divorce. They took my guns. They had already taken my LTCF a week earlier. I wouldnt sign the divorce papers until the PFA was lifted. After it was removed, I got everything back. Guns and LTCF. I also renewed it 2x since then. A PFA is a great tool for an angry woman!
    Yea they hand them out to women like candy, the only thing that worries me is that yours was removed and mine was on for 3 years. So do you think I wont have a problem?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchad917 View Post
    So do you think I wont have a problem?
    IANAL. I am not qualified to answer that. I was just relating that I no longer had it against me and got everything back. I was served in Bucks county. I am sure someone that knows will answer!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    IANAL. I am not qualified to answer that. I was just relating that I no longer had it against me and got everything back. I was served in Bucks county. I am sure someone that knows will answer!
    Ok well hopefully someone will have an answer, trying not to stress to much about it

(Delaware County)

I can't answer your question. If you are denied, you'll most likely need an attorney to guide you through an appeal.
    See that green banner at the top of the website, click it. I haven't read it, but it might have some imformation for you.
    I think for right now you will just have to wait and see what happens. I know waiting sucks, but ......
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    I can't answer your question. If you are denied, you'll most likely need an attorney to guide you through an appeal.
    See that green banner at the top of the website, click it. I haven't read it, but it might have some imformation for you.
    I think for right now you will just have to wait and see what happens. I know waiting sucks, but ......
    Ok thank you

(Delaware County)

Can someone please chime in with some help

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchad917 View Post
    Can someone please chime in with some help
    It may just be that no one here really has a good answer for you. You asked "Should I be nervous that's the ltc will be denied or even when". I don't know how to answer the first part of that question.

You said you applied for a LTCF. Great! To answer (I think) the second part of your question which I quoted above, you should find out within 45 days of filing whether or not your application was approved. If it is denied, the sheriff is required to tell you specifically why, in writing via certified mail. You then have an opportunity to appeal. That's assuming the sheriff of your county follows the law. Some don't, to one degree or another.

As for "I go to purchase my firearm ill be denied?" Ida Know.
    Last edited by twency; March 17th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Franklin County)

I don't see why you would have an issue. Question 31 on the application for an LTCF asks if the conditions of § 6105(c) applies to you. The only part that may would be #6 which states:

(c) Other persons.--In addition to any person who has been convicted of any offense listed under subsection (b), the following persons shall be subject to the prohibition of subsection (a):

(6) A person who is the subject of an active protection from abuse order issued pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108, which order provided for the relinquishment of firearms during the period of time the order is in effect. This prohibition shall terminate upon the expiration or vacation of an active protection from abuse order or portion thereof relating to the relinquishment of firearms.
    Based on the above, once your order was vacated you are free to apply and should be granted an LTCF. Like the others have said, it all depends on the sheriff in your area but you would have a good case for appeal if refused for that.

If there is something else the would disqualify you, say an arrest for domestic abuse that prompted the order, you may be prohibited.

IANAL as everyone says, consulting one is recommended

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast