Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default CC at Gander Mountain

I went to gander mountain today to get a new holster, I went in and as a courtesy, I told the man behind the counter I had my gun in my pocket and wanted to fit it for some holsters.
    he said "is it unloaded?"
    I said yes, and showed it to him along with my LTCF
    They (people behind the counter) were looking for a lock box to store my gun in, and I said "what are you doing? Store policy says that if I have a LTCF I can carry my gun"
    The clerk said "oh, ok" and gave me my gun back.
    The other person behind the counter said "hold on a minute"
    so I laid my gun, locked open, on the reciept printer, while she made a call or whatever.
    She apparently got word that I was allowed to move along, and so I did.
    I was very nice to the people and they were very nice to me. Just a lack of understanding policy i think. It was a good experience I think
    on a side note, I did buy a blackhawk serpa for my kimber. can someone please tell me how to add thumbnail images rather than these full blown up pictures!! And I think i put this in the wrong forum
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; February 14th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: CC at Gander Mountain

The times Ive gone to GM to try on holsters I would just CC straight back to the gun department, grab a holster off the rack that interests me and walk over to the counter where a sales associate is and tell them that Im carrying and would like to unload my firearm and test fit the holster. The few times Ive done this they have simply said, "no problem, let me know if I can help you". I would then unholster, unload and lay my rounds right there on the counter until Im finished, then I just load and reholster when Im done.
    Maybe different stores have different policies or maybe it just depends on who is working that day.

BTW, thats a huge picture.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

My local GM has a sign on the door asking people bringing guns into the store for service to bring the unloaded gun to the service counter, just like Cabelas, and then they control it from there. They're fine with OC or CC as long as the gun stays in the holster. I've OC'd in the store with no problem.

I might get flamed for this, but I think that's a reasonable policy. It's their store, their liability. I came to this conclusion by flipping the situation around: I'm OK with anyone carrying in my home, but if I had a stranger in my house, I wouldn't allow them to unholster and manipulate a loaded gun. I have no idea how much (or how little) training and common sense that person has, so I wouldn't allow the risk to my wife & kids.

(Erie County)

Should be sign at entrance stating LTCF holders need not check your firearms.

Ugh, that nice Kimber wrapped in plastic.

Resize your image before uploading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lackawanna County)

If you're going to buy a holster, why would you bring the gun you're buying it for loaded? Unload the damn thing before you walk into the store. Or why not just ask the clerk for one of the guns they have for sale to use as a model to test for fit?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    If you're going to buy a holster, why would you bring the gun you're buying it for loaded? Unload the damn thing before you walk into the store. Or why not just ask the clerk for one of the guns they have for sale to use as a model to test for fit?
    In my case I didnt know I was buying a holster until I saw it and thought I wanted to try it and it was for my CC piece.
    Whats the difference between unholstering and unloading your firearm at a counter at the front of the store or at a counter at the back of the store, besides policy? I dont see any difference in the safety or liability aspect.
    I had a bad experience using one of their store guns to test fit a holster once. It wasnt my fault but I felt kinda bad about it.

Anyway, I asked permission from the sales person before I unholstered my firearm, he was ok with it, as it seemed, were the couple of customers shopping around me.
    I was also thinking about trading up so wanted to see what he would pay me for it so he had to look it over before pricing it.
    Last edited by ray h; November 20th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.

(Butler County)

My gun wasnt loaded, see my first post. Like i said, it was a fine experience, no big deal, and yes I know, a kimber wrapped in plastic. I just wanted something until I get the funds for a highnoon leather holster and a beltman belt.

(Armstrong County)

While I really like the SERPA holster on a plate carrier or other platform, they are an epic fail as far as retention goes.......Those little screws pull right out.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You both asked before you brought the guns out, so no one can fault you for that. But ray h, I just think it's a common courtesy to unload before you go into a store, if you know you'll be handling it inside. If you unload in your car, the risk of a ND is all yours, not theirs. And don't tell me that YOU could never have a ND - that's why we all follow Jeff Cooper's rules.

(Butler County)

well, I think some will be happy to know that I returned the serpa. After inspecting it a little, I noticed that it IS NOT worthy of having my kimber in it, and it will probably wear the finish on my gun, so screw that, Im ordering a highnoon holster.
    On this trip I didnt take my gun with me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast