Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry > Concealed Carry

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM

(Elk County)
hooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond repute
Default DUI for the 60's and CCW Permit

A friend of mine is currently 70 years old. He had a DUI when he was 21 back in 1962 I believe. I'm not sure what the grading of the offense was back then. He previously had a CCW permit until 2006. He applied for a renewal then and was denied. The sheriff stated it was the the 44 year old DUI that was the reason. Did something change in the law around that period? He is a retired paramedic with no crimes since the DUI.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Platinum Supporter

(Delaware County)
thundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond reputethundrr1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DUI for the 60's and CCW Permit

That I'm aware of, nothing has changed. Something is rotten in Denmark. He has 30 days to appeal the rejection.

If you hear the report of my 1911,,,, your not quite out of danger yet.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM

(Bucks County)
n1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond repute

DUI offense does not fall into the denial category AFAIK. I had one in 1980 and have not been denied. He should appeal asap, as would I if it ever came to that.
Good luck to him.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1fhpa View Post
DUI offense does not fall into the denial category AFAIK. I had one in 1980 and have not been denied. He should appeal asap, as would I if it ever came to that.
Good luck to him.

They can be prohibiting though via a max penalty over 2 years on certain charges. (3) in 5 years time will prohibit you. Also, a single DUI can prohibit you if it involved certain circumstances. The present, and just prior DUI laws are slightly different from the DUI laws of the 60's and maybe the 70's. I think the possible sentence was harsher back in the 60's/70's.

I think GunLawyer001 had posted the DUI laws of that era once.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM

(Montgomery County)
abner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond reputeabner13 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a DUI in '94 and even renewed my LTCF while on my probation.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Grand Member

(Dauphin County)
MDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooknladder View Post
He had a DUI when he was 21 back in 1962 I believe.
Worth a read:
http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...years-ago.html (Gun ownership after two misdemeanors over 30 years ago)

Quote:
I'm not sure what the grading of the offense was back then.
Potential grade really doesn't matter as much as the actual grade, regardless of legality, that the PSP sees during the PICS check, unless it is not the PSP who was the cause of the denial.

If the conviction is from a PA court, friend should consider running a PSP epatch check on himself to discover what the PSP/sheriff is looking at.

Quote:
He previously had a CCW permit until 2006. He applied for a renewal then and was denied. The sheriff stated it was the the 44 year old DUI that was the reason.
Since PICS is not allowed to give out information that is the foundation for a denial or research, either a PICS operator breached his duty or the sheriff has taken it upon himself to deny for the DUI. Please reconsult the letter of denial.

The current understanding is that a person denied probably has 30 days from denial to challenge it in the court of common pleas.

Quote:
A friend of mine is currently 70 years old.
18 Pa.C.S. 9122:
(b) Generally.--Criminal history record information may be expunged when:
(1) An individual who is the subject of the information reaches 70 years of age and has been free of arrest or prosecution for ten years following final release from confinement or supervision.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM

(Bucks County)
n1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond reputen1fhpa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
They can be prohibiting though via a max penalty over 2 years on certain charges. (3) in 5 years time will prohibit you. Also, a single DUI can prohibit you if it involved certain circumstances. The present, and just prior DUI laws are slightly different from the DUI laws of the 60's and maybe the 70's. I think the possible sentence was harsher back in the 60's/70's.

I think GunLawyer001 had posted the DUI laws of that era once.
Good point. He should look up the docket.

Use:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CP.aspx

Do a party search and enter the criteria.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Grand Member

(Dauphin County)
MDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond reputeMDJschool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1fhpa View Post
Good point. He should look up the docket.
Use:
http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CP.aspx
Do a party search and enter the criteria.
Few counties have data from 1962 available through UJSPORTAL. See http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/RefDocu...MSCaseLoad.pdf
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM

(Elk County)
hooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond reputehooknladder has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for the info. I emailed this page to him and he is going to review it.