Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry > Concealed Carry

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM

(Philadelphia County)
s&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Florida CCW

I am in the process of appealing a BS denial for a LTCF in Philly. So in the mean time I applied for a Florida CCW. Called to check the status today and it has been issued in less then 2 weeks. During this process I also have been emailing the Judiciary and Bryan Lentz about HB 2536. His office actually conceeded that the system in Philly failed me.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

(Chester County)
GL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond reputeGL23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&wpat View Post
I am in the process of appealing a BS denial for a LTCF in Philly. So in the mean time I applied for a Florida CCW. Called to check the status today and it has been issued in less then 2 weeks. During this process I also have been emailing the Judiciary and Bryan Lentz about HB 2536. His office actually conceeded that the system in Philly failed me.
What was the reason for the denial?
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM

(Philadelphia County)
s&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond reputes&wpat has a reputation beyond repute

They said I lied about my arrest history which is 100% false. I informed them of 2 incidents with the law in my life. I am 29 now and when I was 19 I had a DUI and given ARD which would expunge it from my record and when I was 18 I was at a party that got broke up by the police and cited for drinking. Other then that there has been no legal issue in the last 10 years. Basically I was doing what just about every 18-19 year old does but I got caught and paid the price.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM

NShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond reputeNShortino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Basically I was doing what just about every 18-19 year old does but I got caught and paid the price.
I think (and hope) a lot of people would disagree that getting arrested for a DUI at 19 is "what every 18-19 year old does", and I can't help but think that a substance abuse arrest would possibly disqualify you from getting a LTCF in any county, not just Philly. That being said, if they asked for your arrest history and not a conviction history and you left out the DUI then you were in fact lying on the paperwork and should be denied.

I don't mean to be making any judgments against you, and I don't think 1 incident when you were 19 should make or break the rest of your life, but the fact that you were able to quite easily get a Florida permit when you were rightfully denied by PA just gives more evidence to the "Florida Loophole".
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM

(Blair County)
farmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond reputefarmplinker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
I think (and hope) a lot of people would disagree that getting arrested for a DUI at 19 is "what every 18-19 year old does", and I can't help but think that a substance abuse arrest would possibly disqualify you from getting a LTCF in any county, not just Philly. That being said, if they asked for your arrest history and not a conviction history and you left out the DUI then you were in fact lying on the paperwork and should be denied.

I don't mean to be making any judgments against you, and I don't think 1 incident when you were 19 should make or break the rest of your life, but the fact that you were able to quite easily get a Florida permit when you were rightfully denied by PA just gives more evidence to the "Florida Loophole".
1. The application asks about "convictions", not "arrests".

2. I have no intention of getting into a discussion about DUIs, who gets them, how many get them, the legality of enforcement or the appropriateness of BAL as proof. A normal DUI conviction does not include a sentence of more than one year, and people with a DUI are not prohibited from getting a LTCF. In any event, an ARD is not a conviction, correct?

3. Your last sentence indicates that the OP was rightfully denied in PA. All evidence points to the contrary.

Last edited by farmplinker; June 28th, 2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: shortened
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

If the OP received an judicial or statutory expungement of records, then he was in deed allowed to say he was never arrest or convicted(for the expunged charges/records).
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
phillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
If the OP received an judicial or statutory expungement of records, then he was in deed allowed to say he was never arrest or convicted(for the expunged charges/records).
In Philadelphia, they interview you, ask you if you have ever been arrested INCLUDING any juvenile arrests or that have been expunged.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
ReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NShortino View Post

Underage drinking and a DUI 10 years ago is not cause for denial. I got a DUI in 2001 and have had no problem getting/renewing my LTCF.

IIRC, going through an ARD program does not = conviction of a crime. (I have been wrong before though)

The OP stated that he disclosed the DUI on his application and shouldn't have been denied. IF everything went as the OP described, the PPD is not following the law and forcing him to go the Florida CCW route. I see no "Loophole" here.
Old June 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not looking to make this a moral conversation but I don't condone drinking and driving. I was young and dumb and paid the price. My only reason for posting is because I was honest about the DUI with PPD. They knew about the 2 incidents. Neither of which is cause for denial. The other thing is in my business I have to be state licensed. Arrest history and "Character" do factor into that and it has never been a problem.
Old June 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
IronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
In Philadelphia, they interview you, ask you if you have ever been arrested INCLUDING any juvenile arrests or that have been expunged.
And what, do you think that you have to actually tell them about that?

There is NO duty imposed on an applicant to answer ANY interview questions BY LAW.