Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry > Concealed Carry

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Chester County)
SimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant futureSimplyComplicated has a brilliant future
Default What kind of references do I need for a CCW application?

I'm thinking of applying for my ccw and I'm a bit confused as to who I can use for references.

Family members are apparently a no no, but I have several friends I could ask. Do I need older references, younger references? Will anyone do as long as they don't have a criminal record?

Meanwhile, if I go to the range, I can store my gun in my trunk and my ammo in the passenger compartment, but when I walk from my car to the range, am I okay as long as the gun is carried out in the open?

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Grand Member

(Schuylkill County)
NikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of references do I need for a CCW application?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplicated View Post
I'm thinking of applying for my ccw and I'm a bit confused as to who I can use for references.
Before someone else jumps in and rails you for it, it's called a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) here in PA.

Quote:
Family members are apparently a no no, but I have several friends I could ask. Do I need older references, younger references?
Anybody that can professionally speak to your personal behavior, and reassure the sheriffs office that you deserve to have one. (if they even call)

I used two of my friends...

Quote:
Will anyone do as long as they don't have a criminal record?
That would certainly be a smart thing to do. Regardless, you wouldn't want a convicted felon speaking to your character, would you?

But correct, they should not have a criminal record.

Quote:
Meanwhile, if I go to the range, I can store my gun in my trunk and my ammo in the passenger compartment, but when I walk from my car to the range, am I okay as long as the gun is carried out in the open?

Thanks for the advice!
As long as you are legally allowed to own a firearm, yes. Without your LTCF, you could open carry it on your person to the station or just carry the case if you choose so.

Last edited by NikeBauer21; June 11th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
phillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplicated View Post
when I walk from my car to the range, am I okay as long as the gun is carried out in the open?

Thanks for the advice!
Carrying in a holster, sure (except in Philly). Carrying in your hand? That could be considered brandishing a weapon. Pre-LTCF I would carry it into the range in a back pack with separate zipper compartments. One with the unloaded pistol in its case, and ammo in another.
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Grand Member

(Schuylkill County)
NikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeBauer21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
Carrying in a holster, sure (except in Philly).
That's true, I forgot to mention that.. In case you didn't know, you need your LTCF in Philly to carry open...
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
anonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Carrying in a holster, sure (except in Philly). Carrying in your hand? That could be considered brandishing a weapon. Pre-LTCF I would carry it into the range in a back pack with separate zipper compartments. One with the unloaded pistol in its case, and ammo in another.
Fact of the day: the word "brandish" does not appear anywhere in Title 18.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
IronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond reputeIronSight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no law, none, about "brandishing" a weapon in PA.

There are laws about making threats, etc, that could apply to a weapon carried in a hand.

That's an important difference to remember.

anonymous: we seem to have the same questions about his posts lately
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
phillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond reputephillykev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
There is no law, none, about "brandishing" a weapon in PA.
I didn't say he would be charged with "brandishing" a weapon. I'm aware there is no law about that. But other laws are used in cases where someone is in fact brandishing a weapon, as you pointed out.

I'm trying to give the guy practical advice, not argue constitutional law. Carrying a loaded gun around in your hand on the street is not a good idea. Most LEO would not view it passively. I didn't get the feeling the OP was looking to be a test case for legal minutae.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
str8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond reputestr8shooter has a reputation beyond repute

I also live in Chester County and there were no restrictions on whom I could use as a reference other than no family members. Some counties say they must be residents of the County, but not in Chester County. Also, the application does not ask for your references age, just address and phone number, but I would think you'd want your references to be at least voting age, if not old enough to purchase a gun.

I asked two neighbors if it was OK to use them as a reference (getting permission to use someone as a reference for anything is always the right way to go), but they were never called.
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Grand Member

thefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond repute

Real quick here, I know it is called a LTCF, but on the back of mine it also reads permit... hummm m

FOAC; NRA Endowment Member
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Grand Member

(Indiana County)
Statkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond repute

The back of mine is blank.