Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default State Game Lands Number 43

Not used the the chester area but is this the only open to the public range in the area? I live in bucks and it seems to be the closets one to our house.I cant seem to find any info on it. Any kind of advice on the range would be awesome , we plan on shooting during the week in the am so we dont have to deal with any assholes.

Thank you

(Delaware County)

Default Re: State Game Lands Number 43

Check the Pa. Gamelands ranges on the web. Haven't been in years, though it is my understanding that there is $35 membership fee or be in possession of a Pa. Hunters license. Closest target is 50 yards, so I hope you are not shooting a snub nose.

Thank you, i couldn't find much about the ranges on the web.
    i bought a saiga 7.62 and wanted to find the close outdoor range

thanks for the help

(Montgomery County)

I shoot at SGL 43 all the time. It works for me, but read below about its quirks. They renovated the range in 2009, so to recover the costs, you need a PA Shooting Range Permit each year ($30) or a valid PA hunting license. Exceptions to the permit requirement are those 15 years of age and younger accompanied by a licensed or permitted person 18 years of age or older. Each licensed hunter or range permit holder may have one guest.

One fundamental quirk of the renovated range is that, counting from left to right, Firing Position #6 is on the on one side of the central path and its target support is on the other side of the path. This is not obvious and at times I've had other people go down range and take down my target thinking it was for their firing position. The central path down the range is not an adequate guide. Neither the firing positions nor the targets are visibly numbered in any way. If using one of the firing positions near the middle or the right side, check with shooters on each side to be sure which target they think is theirs before putting up your target. Be sure new arrivals know which target you're using. Count firing positions and targets from left to right and you'll be fine.

Another quirk is that there are 12 firing positions, ten 100 yd, plus two 50 yd. positions on the right (The two rightmost firing positions align with the 50 yard targets.) People don't always notice this, setting up at positions 11 or twelve and shooting at 100 yd targets 9 or 10! When they renovated the range, the Game Commission got this part wrong. At the private ranges I've visited, the firing positions and target positions are numbered, but not here.

Read the posted rules for using the range. Paper targets only, no shot shells. People sometimes ignore this and the range become littered with soda bottles and cinder block fragments they leave there.

One last bad practice you'll find there is that before going down range to change targets, many shooters shout the word CLEAR! to mean both "Cease firing and Clear weapons". They use the same word CLEAR! to mean "Commence firing, range is hot" after everyone is back to the firing line. You see the problem with this.

That said, I like shooting there, and other shooters are friendly and generally conscientious. It has the above architectural problems.

Public Shooting Range Permit

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

PA Public Shooting Ranges
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

Directions at bottom of page
    for region, choose Southeast
    for county, choose Chester

More info about PA public shooting ranges and GPS coordinates at
    http://www.huntingpa.com/sgl.html

(Schuylkill County)

I am not familiar with SG43 but do be aware of the 3 rounds in a magazine rule if the warden checks you. OR it will turn into an expensive visit.

Quote Originally Posted by hattoz View Post
    Not used the the chester area but is this the only open to the public range in the area? I live in bucks and it seems to be the closets one to our house.I cant seem to find any info on it. Any kind of advice on the range would be awesome , we plan on shooting during the week in the am so we dont have to deal with any assholes.

Thank you
    SGL-43 questions frequently appear here.

Some related reading:

First link has photos of the regulations posted at SGL-43.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html