Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Ammunition & Reloading

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM

(Westmoreland County)
jmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant futurejmanzini has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best powder for 308 and 30.06?

I use 3031 in my 30.06 and 4064 in the 308.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond reputeKramer has a reputation beyond repute

First choice...IMR 4895

Second choice...IMR 4064
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:17 PM

(Cambria County)
notenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond reputenotenoughguns has a reputation beyond repute

4064 is my first choice with Varget next . I hand weigh all high power loads so powder measure is of no concern .
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute

Varget is my "go to" powder for plinking.

IMR-4895 and H-4895 are my second choices (don't mix them up...they ARE different and have different burn rates and load data).

H-335 will do all 3 calibers and there is load data for .223, .308 and .30-06 for Varget, H-335, and both of the 4895's. You might get luck and find one powder and a load that works for all.

I was pretty surprised with my results with Varget and .223.

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
Fr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond repute

Accurate 2520
IMR-4895
Varget
Reloader 15
IMR-3031
IMR-4064
Reloader 7

This my current powder selection when I want to sit down a load 308. I also keep in mind the barrel length of the rifle I am loading for. This helps me determine the powder to speed I select to ensure I burn as much as possible in the barrel. Any of the ones I mentioned will perform excellent, but for that fine tweaking, I like some choices of burn rates.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Grand Member

(York County)
YBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond reputeYBNORMAL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
Accurate 2520
IMR-4895
Varget
Reloader 15
IMR-3031
IMR-4064
Reloader 7

This my current powder selection when I want to sit down a load 308. I also keep in mind the barrel length of the rifle I am loading for. This helps me determine the powder to speed I select to ensure I burn as much as possible in the barrel. Any of the ones I mentioned will perform excellent, but for that fine tweaking, I like some choices of burn rates.
If I could ask a question on the side, what are the results and thought process you are going through with the powders you listed. I assume your trying for compleate burn before the bullet exits the barrel. What is the breakdown (of powders you listed) in relation to say, a 20in barrel in 308. Thanks for any info you could give.

To the OP, I use 4064 in a 20in heavy barrel rem 700 in 308, with Seirra MK 168 hpbt and get 1/2 and sub 1/2 MOA groups. But I have not experimented with others yet, like another poster said it is a very course grain and probably would not meter well in a thrower, but I weigh one at a time so it's a wash for me.
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
Fr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond reputeFr0sty has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to go down to my bench and look at my burn chart to explain the difference in detail.

But I have powders that cover a certain range of burn rates. My idea behind how I charge my bench loads is to load the fastest powder possible with the least amount needed. I am punching paper with these loads, so high FPS is not needed. Well at the range I am shooting anyways.

So I start with the quick powder, and the lowest amount and I begin to load up. I will load 10 rounds per charge weight of that powder and shoot a group for each one. If I am happy with any I use that as my baseline and I will move to a slightly slower powder and repeat. I will do that a few more times with different powders until I have 5 loads that are strong loads all with solid groups. I then take the 5 loads and continue to tweak them with .1 grain adjustments to the charge until I get it as tight as possible and repeat that for the 5 or so loads. I then begin to adjust OAL until I get the load as tight as possible. Once all of that is complete, I am cutting a nice hole. There are a few more steps to this process but this is could start to find a nice load.

Btw one of the rifles I shoot A LOT is my R700 308 20" Bull.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM

(Cambria County)
sakotrgnut will become famous soon enough

For a 308------- thats easy Varget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:55 PM

(Washington County)
Eagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond reputeEagles6 has a reputation beyond repute

4895 is what you want for a Garand, works well in .308. I regularly use 3031 for -06 and it works well for .308 too.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to 27hand

I started out with 4350 close to 30 years ago.

Speer was the first bullets I used and since I was only loading for a pump .06 at -100 yds, tight grouping was never a major concern.
Later, about 20 or 25 years ago I had some time so loaded a variety of bullets and powder charges and ended up with a 57.5 gr charge (still 4350) with a 150gr Nosler ballistic tip and the old Kmart Rem. 760 hits 1" to 1 1/4" groups with occasional 3/4" groups.

I weigh the charges.

Overkill for a pumpgun? probably. It is still putting deer down almost every year.

I use it for 30-30 as well and might use it for 300 Win-Mag too.