Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default .40 S&W Reloading

Has anybody had trouble with resizing .40 S&W?

I use RCBS carbide dies, and do a quality control check with a Wilson cartridge OAL gauge randomly during resizing and after crimping. Remington brass (from Golden Saber ammo) never seems to be a problem, but all other sources are finicky at best. They usually stick about 1/4" from the bottom of the rim.

I shoot Springfields, which provide full support to the case head. Some of the brass comes from remanufactured ammo, so who knows what it was fired in before.

I follow the process described above for other calibers, and don't have the same issue.

Default Re: .40 S&W Reloading

What you are seeing (and I just learned this this week) is the famous 'Glock bulge' ... with a proper resizing die and no 'short stroking' it should all but go away and be fine to fire in anything.

(Lawrence County)

Problem solved.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?...products_id=40

Lycannevergaugesanymorethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Yes, there are several solutions out for the Glock bulge. The EGW Undersize die is one. The Redding GRx die is another. I understand Lee has also come out with a similar solution. Google is your best friend. I use the Redding GRx Die which resizes the entire case-end of problem.
    The_Vigilante
    "A man can never own enough guns."

(Westmoreland County)

I use the Redding G-RX die. I have read Lee makes what they call the Bulge Buster. I know with the G-rx die you need a strong single stage press. I have the Steel G-RX Die. with lube some cases take a lot of pressure to size. Redding is coming out with a carbide die this year. But have added $20.00 to the price. The steel G-RX die cost about $40.00. I would think the Lee would be a lot less.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    What you are seeing (and I just learned this this week) is the famous 'Glock bulge' ... with a proper resizing die and no 'short stroking' it should all but go away and be fine to fire in anything.
    Does that mean you're in the ammo business now?

I suspect that's what I'm dealing with, at least in part. I think it's possible that it's both the brass and the gauge. I'll be surprised if it turns out to be the dies. I don't short stroke and seat the die so you can barely see light between it and the shellholder when a spent case is at the top of the resizing stroke (single stage).

I shot some loads I had done with some of that brass, and they fed fine through the XD SC. I think that in the future, I stick with using "known" brass, and buy Star Line when I need more.

For those interested, 5.8 gr Unique under a 155 LSWC from Roger's Better Bullets/King Shooters Supply looks pretty accurate on the first go-round. You have to wait a little bit for the smoke to clear so you can see the sights again, but so go the travails of using Unique with lead bullets....

Thanks DC

P.S. Are you going to be assisting your usual vendor at Valley Forge?

Quote Originally Posted by kimber 22 View Post
    Does that mean you're in the ammo business now?
    Nope, still a web developer but also still helping Rich out when I can and learning whatever I can.

Thanks DC
    NP

P.S. Are you going to be assisting your usual vendor at Valley Forge?
    Nope, Rich will not do Valley Forge any more. That woman has lost her mind with her table prices ($95 per, double what everyone else gets) and their fucking stupid $20 per year 'association fee' .... between tables, hotel, meals and fuel that show now costs him about $3k to do ... just ain't worth it. If she gets her head out of her ass then he would love to do it but not until then.

I shot some loads I had done with some of that brass, and they fed fine through the XD SC. I think that in the future, I stick with using "known" brass, and buy Star Line when I need more.
    We also tried some rounds that had the same problem (and my fault because I was short stroking the de-prime / re-sizer) and they feed and shoot fine in Tootie's G27 yet they would not fit the bullet gauge .... I guess it depends on how bad the bulge is.
    Last edited by dc dalton; March 6th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.