Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Walnut Shell Media and NuFinish

Found a great price, 10qt for $6.70 on Amazon however I see people asking questions about adding NuFinish. What's that all about and is it necessary?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Walnut Shell Media and NuFinish

I have also read about Nufinish and I also have added it in to my walnut media. IMHO it is cosmetic only, and helps bring a luster to the brass. I had some on hand as that is my go to car polish.

(Bucks County)

I get the lizard bedding walnut media at Petsmart - no shipping. Cheap but I forget what I paid. Whatever metal polish I have around in the garage gets dribbled in and it all seems to shine the brass somewhat.

(Berks County)

So, if I use that with the walnut and a used dryer sheet I am off to a good start? Will they all work in unison?

(Elk County)

Depending on the size of your tumbler, add one or two capfulls of NuFinish liquid car wax to your media and let the tumbler run without brass in it for about 10 minutes. The wax coats the media and can lead to better results and shortened tumble times. Add some when the brass doesn't seem as shiny and it will give the media a boost. People probably use NuFinish because it's available at Dollar General and pretty cheap.

(Beaver County)

Yep NuFinish and dryer sheets are all I use. You can use up to one whole dryer sheet at a time depending on the size of your tumbler. I prefer to cut them into 5 or 6 pieces for best results. Buy the dollar a box ones and change them when they are dirty. If its the first time for a sheet in old media your going to swap them out almost every other batch till the dust is gone. If its new media you should get 4 or 5 batches depending on how dirty your brass is.

And people use NuFinish because it does not contain ammonia which can break down the strength of brass over time.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Washington County)

SO are you guys putting the dryer sheets in with the brass? I've used dryer sheets on their own tumble to clean the media but not in with the brass. I was using the brass polish they sell at lowes but I ran out and I'm still tumbling. It's just as clean but not as shiny. Meh.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

The dryer sheets serve to pick up nasty dust, which keeps it out of the air (and your lungs), and helps the media last longer. I use used dryer sheets, of which we have a plentiful supply.

(Berks County)

Okay, I think I got it but as always have questions.

1. Used vs. new dryer sheets. Does it make a difference?

2. I read 4-5 batches if used in new media (dryer sheet) or 1-2 batches if used in old media. So, when does new become old? You get the picture, I over think these things.

3. 1-2 capfuls of nu-finsh, check. Run 1st to coat media, check.

4. Tumbler? I see good reviews on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arse..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

This is more expensive and seems a little temperamental. This will be in the basement storage room so noise is not an issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-dr...ler-67632.html

(Beaver County)

I use the cheapest new ones they sell. The fabric softener on the dryer sheet is sticky and helps to collet the dust. I think the last box I bought at Walmart was 1.50 for a hundred.

New media being new. Never used before. No real build up of dust or dirt.

Old/used meaning you've been tumbling in it for over 6 months.

New is old after you use it once but if you start out with the dryer sheets from the beginning it will last much longer.

You'll know when it's time to change the dryer sheets. They will look like dirty dish rags hehe.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast