Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Handgun Reloading

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Appreciate it. Looks like I'll start with a one stage and go from there. I do fully understand that it takes a lot of concentration when first starting to get it down. Any more info or what presses you guys would rcmd to start with would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Handgun Reloading

I started with a lee turret press. Not single stage but can be operated that way. It still continues to be used regularly even though I got a progressive machine.

(York County)

As has been pointed out, being in a hurry is not condusive to successful reloading. My Dad started my brother and I out on an RCBS single stage kit over 40 years ago, and he still has it. We then moved up to the Dillon 550, which is a great machine from a great company. As mentioned, it's not an auto indexing machine, but I don't see this as a drawback, in fact, it's a point of consideration. The 550 can be operated as a single stage system, or even a part system in any of several configurations which you decide. All a question of how you choose to use it.

At any rate, safety above all else. Take your time. Keep impeccable records. Always finish a process batch before stopping, and make certain you know where you left off. Don't allow yourself to be distracted by visitors, pets, crisis, nagging, lack of sleep, hunger, anger, etc. Do not try to run before you walk. With conpetence, comes speed. Speed is not the goal. Accuracy is! If you have questions, don't guess! Lots of good info here and many other places. Most of all, don't make it a "job". Have fun with it and it will reward you on many fronts.
    Last edited by mosseater; January 25th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Since you mentioned speed. The only thing to get is a progressive.

Next question is why do you want something fast? Do you have limited time to reload? Or do you shoot a high volume?

Your volume will dictate how quickly your press setup will pay for itself. Also the higher quality press you get, the higher resale value should you decide this isn't for you..

Also, only you know yourself. My first press was a Dillon 550. I had the patience to learn how the press worked and each stage felt. Although not auto indexing, you do learn the rhythm/system. No matter what press you get, progressive or single stage each has its own system to get working properly.

You can screw up on a single stage just as easily as you can a progressive, Except on a progressive you can mess up a whole lot more rounds faster.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by draggingframe13 View Post
    Thanks for all the info so far guys. Appreciate it. Looks like I'll start with a one stage and go from there. I do fully understand that it takes a lot of concentration when first starting to get it down. Any more info or what presses you guys would rcmd to start with would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Depends what your budget is and how much room you have. If you do not have the big bucks, then you can start with Lee. Lee is like the Chevy of the reloading world. It doesn't have the refinement and polished detail of the more expensive brands but it will get you down the road and do basic handgun rounds just fine. You can start with either a hand press for $30 or a single stage press for $70-$90 and you'll need a few more things to go with it. Lee also sells kits too.

If you want to spend double, I like the look of RCBS. I have a few RCBS bits and so far it's fine.

As I said, I do not find it hard to reload but you can't have your head up your behind and you do have to pay attention to what you are doing. I ask questions here and elsewhere and watch a lot of youtube videos to learn.

(Bucks County)

I started with (and still use) a Lee Classic Turret Press. From a beginner standpoint you can remove the indexing rod and turn the turret by hand. This slows the process but for a beginner it's perfect. This allows you to slow down and pay attention to what each station is doing and if it's doing it right.

Once you feel comfortable put the rod in.

Right now I can do about 200 rounds of .45acp in an hour. That's fine for me. When I have some free time I go to the basement and crank out a couple hundred rounds and store them for future use.

Winter is perfect for that. I have a couple thousand rounds loaded and ready for the competition season.

If you are interested I have several videos about it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3DA1AA2F824266
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I would recommend this kit. Spend the extra $15 and upgrade to the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. Buy a good beam scale (Dillon Eliminator) and a set of check weights.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

The Lee Classic Turret press that comes in the kit can be used for both pistol and rifle. Removing the index rod turns it into a single stage. Using a single stage for loading pistol gets old fast. An auto indexing turret press like LCT is faster than a single stage press but slower than a progressive.
    I started out with this and was pretty happy. Upgraded to a progressive eventually. It all depends how much you shoot. If you do choose a progressive only load 1 at a time until you really know what you are doing. If you don't bad things can happen.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by draggingframe13 View Post
    I've done countless hours of research on reloading tactics. I'm 21 and want to start reloading my own ammo due to the fact its cheaper and need another hobby! Wanna start off with my 9mm first than progressively get into my other pieces. What do you guys recommend for a first timer? Pretty much want something that's gonna crank out the ammo quickly and most importantly accurately. Thanks in advance
    You get smooth from practice. You get speed from being smooth.

If you intend to start by "cranking out ammo" you are risking problems....

I started with a single stage press, then moved up to a progressive.

(Cumberland County)

Also, reloading is not a family activity. Find a secluded area, no tv or other outside distractions. Forgetting at what stage you are can be deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I started out with this and was pretty happy. Upgraded to a progressive eventually. It all depends how much you shoot. If you do choose a progressive only load 1 at a time until you really know what you are doing. If you don't bad things can happen.
    A lot of guys own Dillon 650s, 1050s, LNL AP and etc but still hold onto the LCT. The LCT is very good to have around for calibers you usually don't shoot large amounts of. Caliber conversions are cheaper and quicker to change over on the LCT vs say a 650.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast