Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Getting ready to make the leap

We bought the hornady single stage kit. No complaints, we've reloaded probably >100,000 various rounds in 3 years.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Schuylkill County)

As everyone asked what is your budget? All the names mentioned (other than Lee) are going to set you back $200-$300 before components/dies/shell plates etc etc etc.

For $125 you can get a Lee kit that has everything (its a single stage press) except dies.

(Chester County)

I just started reloading about 6 mos ago. I looked at all the reviews on line, you tube videos, etc. I ended up getting a Dillon 550B.

After all the videos I watched, and all the reading I had done, I was pretty familiar with the press when I bought it.

It comes with everything to load one caliber, of your choice. I got the 38/357 dies with mine, and started reloading those calibers with no problems.

I'm now reloading 9mm, 40 S&W, and most recently 45ACP.

Myself, I can't see how anyone shooting any decent amount of pistol calibers would opt to reload on a single stage, other then the start up costs involved.

One of the biggest deciding factors was Dillons warranty. I've heard nothing but praise from anyone that's ever had to have any repairs made, or parts replaced.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioIM View Post
    One of the biggest deciding factors was Dillons warranty. I've heard nothing but praise from anyone that's ever had to have any repairs made, or parts replaced.
    Dillon does have an excellent no BS warranty. Fortunately haven't had to use it yet.

So does RCBS. I contacted them about a part I lost (my fault) from my scale. Wanted to purchase a replacement part and the shipped one for free!

(Montgomery County)

get a Hornady LNL Progressive and dont look back

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocko View Post
    Single stage is fine, because I'm not in a hurry but if a progressive would be better.
    I relate learning on a progressive press to learning how to shoot with a 300 win mag. Same as a .22 is used to learn the fundamentals a single stage is the best way to learn how to load IMO.

However, a progressive press can easily be used in a single stage manner. In fact, if I was to do it all over again I would have gone this route. Options are always a good thing especially considering that most people upgrade anyway.

You will still need a scale, trimmer, case mouth tool, caliper, head space gauge, case lube, trickler, and tools for adjustment (wrenches etc).

The Dillon 550B is the progressive I use. 439 bucks from dillon will get you a press, with one caliber set, powder measure, and priming tool. Excellent value when you consider the cost of buying those items separately.

Bill
    Last edited by paplinker22; January 14th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

You will still need a scale, trimmer, case mouth tool, caliper, head space gauge, case lube, trickler, and tools for adjustment (wrenches etc).

Dude is starting with pistol cartridges.

1. yes
    2. no - straight wall pistol cases to not stretch
    3. no - since you will never trim, you don't need to debur
    4. yes
    5. no
    6. no - carbide dies
    7. no
    8. should already own.

All that stuff is nice to have, but most of it is useless for straight walled pistol. It's not a ton of money to but all that (maybe $100) but having that much crap that you will never use laying around serves no purpose.

The biggest issue for a progressive is cost. $300 min for a press before you even buy your first primer. Then add another $100 for components. Even if you went Lee progressive you are at $450 before you make your first round. Over $600 if you go Dillon/RCBS etc

If that is in the budget the definitely pull the trigger and get it. If you are on the fence then start with a single stage. If you find it to slow then all you need is another press (a single stage press is like $80... you could sell it for at least half of what you paid, or keep it around). If you hate it you can sell it and get a progressive because the dies/scale/prep tools can still be used.

(Berks County)

I'm gonna give you my personal would have saved a bunch of money if I knew list. Dillon xl650 with all the extra goodies and a lee hand press and a lee hand prime. A scale and a stand alone powder measure. A caliper. A case trimmer. The things without brands or digital or analog are because it is your preference. The rest is just supplies or books. Get lots of books, go slow, but get them. Almost forgot. One universal bullet puller. Nobody is perfect.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    Dude is starting with pistol cartridges.
    I thought for a second that I missed something when I read the OP but I didn't:

"I have need to be capable of .38 special to 300 win mag. for now."

Bill

(Schuylkill County)

Missed that. I need to read more better

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast