Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Ammunition & Reloading

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
Sparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap .45 ACP Target/Ball Ammo?

Reloading jacketed bullets for 45acp is stupid. Velocities shouldn't come close to lead up the barrel, so you are pissing your money away needlessly. The last time I bought 200gr LSWC's they cost me 6 a piece. Primers I'll price at 3.5 a piece and powder at about 1.5 a round. So, a conservative estimate for my reloading is $5.50 for a box of 50. The ppl I really for sorry for are 44mag shooters who don't reload. Before the craze prices were around 80 a piece retail after tax, I have no idea what they go for now.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old August 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Banned

(Lehigh County)
Pa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond reputePa.Sniper has a reputation beyond repute

I also started reloading my .50 for the desert eagle. when prices hit +$2 a shot, i broke down and bought the dies. every time I shot it, i thought to myself, there goes a beer. now I have it down to about .40 a round, and that was with buying some brass, so it will even get cheaper as I go.
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Luzerne County)
Pete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I bought 200gr LSWC's they cost me 6 a piece
Yeah....back in the day. You haven't bought any in a while....prices now are 17 to 30 cents each for 200 grain LSWCs, if you can get them at all.
I have been casting and/or staging my own for the last few years...that really brings the cost per box down (just a primer and powder....about $2.50/50).
Pete.

Last edited by Pete D.; August 11th, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Montgomery County)
Remington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond reputeRemington788 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
Reloading jacketed bullets for 45acp is stupid. Velocities shouldn't come close to lead up the barrel, so you are pissing your money away needlessly. The last time I bought 200gr LSWC's they cost me 6 a piece. Primers I'll price at 3.5 a piece and powder at about 1.5 a round. So, a conservative estimate for my reloading is $5.50 for a box of 50. The ppl I really for sorry for are 44mag shooters who don't reload. Before the craze prices were around 80 a piece retail after tax, I have no idea what they go for now.

I pay .22 for a 200gr SWC and am happy for that. Where are you buying them for .06?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
I also started reloading my .50 for the desert eagle. when prices hit +$2 a shot, i broke down and bought the dies. every time I shot it, i thought to myself, there goes a beer. now I have it down to about .40 a round, and that was with buying some brass, so it will even get cheaper as I go.
I remember when the local tap room used to charge $.40 for a small draft beer. One of those places with no windows or clocks.
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
Sparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond reputeSparxfly72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
Yeah....back in the day. You haven't bought any in a while....prices now are 17 to 30 cents each for 200 grain LSWCs, if you can get them at all.
Actually, I bought some earlier this year for that price. Maybe that is "back in the day" for you, but it's not long ago for me.

Edit: after a quick search of vendors I've done business with, I found this for around 10 a piece delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
I pay .22 for a 200gr SWC and am happy for that. Where are you buying them for .06?

I remember when the local tap room used to charge $.40 for a small draft beer. One of those places with no windows or clocks.
Clever analogy. After checking, my supplier recently bumped up his prices(as it states on the page I'm about to link) http://www.mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html
for the soft-cast lead bullets he sold and I bought, but only by about 1.5 a piece. I tried recently to put an order in with him, but he must be swamped.

Last edited by Sparxfly72; August 12th, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:58 AM

(Philadelphia County)
itsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond reputeitsmyright has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC88 View Post
I've been taking my Kimber to the range a lot lately, and she's putting a hole in my wallet. Any good deals on target ammo?
Try selwayarmory looks like they have about twelve boxes of Silver Bear left at $18.45 per box of 50.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/silverbe...f50rounds.aspx
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Grand Member

(Tioga County)
wanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond reputewanneroo has a reputation beyond repute

Cabela's has Herter's Brass .45 ACP in stock right now for $22.

It's made by Sellier and Bellot in Czech. I've had great luck with it, clean and accurate.
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Luzerne County)
Pete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
Actually, I bought some earlier this year for that price. Maybe that is "back in the day" for you, but it's not long ago for me.

Edit: after a quick search of vendors I've done business with, I found this for around 10 a piece delivered.

Clever analogy. After checking, my supplier recently bumped up his prices(as it states on the page I'm about to link) http://www.mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html
for the soft-cast lead bullets he sold and I bought, but only by about 1.5 a piece. I tried recently to put an order in with him, but he must be swamped.
That surely is a good price....thanks for the link. Actually..under nine cents a bullet. ($77.14/1000 + S/H $11.30 = $88.44)
Nice.

Pete
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM

(Philadelphia County)
RyanC88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the answers.
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM

(Philadelphia County)
RyanC88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Check out Gunbot.net

Plenty of .45 ACP ammo available for between .40 and .50 cents a round.

Buy in bulk quantities I say.

If you don't mind the Russian steel cased ammo that is the cheapest.

Cabela's right now has some decent priced ammo like PMC.

They also have their own brand Herter's and the FMJ flavor is made by Sellier and Bellot in Czech. I had good luck with that in .45 ACP.

AIM Surplus has good deals every day but they go fast.

UNammo has a selection of .45 ammo in bulk that would be ideal for target shooting.

Palmetto State Armory has steel cased Blazer for $18.99 right now.
Thanks. I placed an ordered with one of your suggestions.