Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Ammunition & Reloading

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM

(York County)
StonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my favorites for Deer

I shot two deer with a 7.62x54R last season, both deer went straight to the ground and never moved

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Gold Supporters
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(York County)
edritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: my favorites for Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
I shot two deer with a 7.62x54R last season, both deer went straight to the ground and never moved
Mine shoots great too. What ammo do you shoot I've been using Wisconsin Cartridge Corp. Stuff in my 7.62x54r and my 7.62x39 with great success.

My Mosin is modified to be a short quick handling brush gun with a 17.75" barrel length. But she holds a real nice group with their ammo.

Here is a couple pictures of my little mosin brush thumper.

I use their 7.62x39 PSP ammo in my Mark X mini Mauser it's a little tack driver with nice low recoil.

EDR

Last edited by edritchey; April 5th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM

(York County)
StonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond reputeStonewallRabbitry has a reputation beyond repute

That is a nice looking mosin, I especially like the wood stock and the front sight on the shorter barrel.

I just used 204 grain Brown Bear because that was the only ammo I had besides mil surplus. The Mosin was one that I had gotten from, we met at the small diner off of I83

Last edited by edritchey; April 5th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Beaver County)
GrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond reputeGrumpyBear has a reputation beyond repute

Very sharp looking Mosin,checked the Wisconsin ammo place and they are currently out of stock on the Mosin ammo.

But I'll be watching for it to become available.

Thanks for the heads up on that .
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Gold Supporters
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(York County)
edritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond reputeedritchey has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: my favorites for Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
That is a nice looking mosin, I especially like the wood stock and the front sight on the shorter barrel.

I just used 204 grain Brown Bear because that was the only ammo I had besides mil surplus. The Mosin was one that I had gotten from, we met at the small diner off of I83
I don't remember which one I sold back then.

I have a lot of these rifles with various mods but this little sucker really shoots great, The sights are 3 dot phospherous dots are super bright in the dark.

EDR
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Gold Supporters
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(York County)
Post Re: my favorites for Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
Very sharp looking Mosin,checked the Wisconsin ammo place and they are currently out of stock on the Mosin ammo.

But I'll be watching for it to become available.

Thanks for the heads up on that .
I was using PPU ammo but that stuff is so inconsistent between lots that I gave up on it. The good thing with PPU is the brass if you reload.

The Wisconsin co. ammo is very consistent between lots and well worth the extra money.

EDR
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:32 AM

(Schuylkill County)
paptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond reputepaptini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edg View Post
243+rib shot=deer falling down and no meat damaged.
It's all about shot placement. One guy in camp took a deer with a 243, did a lot more damage to it than I did with a 300WSM. He jellied up the whole right front shoulder. Time on the bench and waiting for the right shot will help that.

OP nice selection, it's good to have a choice when you go out. If I'm going to sit in the woods I carry the 30-30 or a suppressed 308 (sub-sonic ammo is good for about 125yds). For fields I opt for the 270 or 300WSM. Nowadays though I'm trying to go with a handgun. Ruger super redhawk in 44mag or a newly procured S&W 686 in 357mag. I'm looking for the challenge of taking a whitetail with a handgun.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Gold Supporters
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(York County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paptini View Post
It's all about shot placement. One guy in camp took a deer with a 243, did a lot more damage to it than I did with a 300WSM. He jellied up the whole right front shoulder. Time on the bench and waiting for the right shot will help that.

OP nice selection, it's good to have a choice when you go out. If I'm going to sit in the woods I carry the 30-30 or a suppressed 308 (sub-sonic ammo is good for about 125yds). For fields I opt for the 270 or 300WSM. Nowadays though I'm trying to go with a handgun. Ruger super redhawk in 44mag or a newly procured S&W 686 in 357mag. I'm looking for the challenge of taking a whitetail with a handgun.
Good luck with your handgun I used to carry my 357 with me but my eyesight isn't what it used to be so I don't carry it anymore.

EDR
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Montgomery County)
Lost Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

That is one good looking Mosin G=C800. It is one of the better looking modified Mosin I've seen.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:25 AM
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Bucks County)
BobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond reputeBobFromBucks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BobFromBucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
Interesting book. I would have guessed there would be more disparity between calibers in drop per inch. I think I'll find that book.