Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Any Reloading Newbies taking the reloading classes @ Wicen's?

I signed up for the class, held Tuesday & Thursday , April, 16 & 18 from 6 pm to 10 pm. Anyone else signed up? They do have space available if anyone is interested.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Any Reloading Newbies taking the reloading classes @ Wicen's?

more info please

(Montgomery County)

Here you go. I've already reloaded a few hundred rounds of 9mm, but I'm leery of reloading .223 or 5.56 without a little guidance.

Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course - 2 days
    When
    Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013
    Where
    Wicen's Shooting Range (map)
    Description
    NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course - 2 day class, 4 hours per night. 04-16-2013 and 04-18-2013.
    Cost: $150 with a $25 non-refundable deposit required.

First 4 hours are class and safety, final 4 hours are hands on reloading. Must bring safety glasses and an updated reloading manual (Speer or Hornady preferred). Any questions feel free to call 215-669-0784 or e-mail: Graziano20@gmail.com.

Short Description : Teaches beginning reloaders the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely reload metallic cartridges.

More Details: This course is eight hours in length and is conducted in a classroom. Each student is taught reloading safety; centerfire cartridge components; using the reloading manual and reloading data; equipment; and the metallic cartridge reloading process. Students will receive the NRA Guide to Reloading handbook, the Basic Reloading Student Exam, a course completion certificate, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, a Basic Firearm Training Program brochure, an Instructor Application/Course Evaluation form. (Lesson Plan, revised 4-05).

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KBliz View Post
    Here you go. I've already reloaded a few hundred rounds of 9mm, but I'm leery of reloading .223 or 5.56 without a little guidance.
    If you reloaded 9mm, it's not too far off to reloading rifles. Rifles cartridges are mostly bottle neck, you will need to tumble, lube, resize & decap, then tumble again to remove the lube before priming and charging.

So getting a case gauge and trimmer is a must.
    The rest are the same. Follow the recipe, start low, and work it way up.

Edit: Forgot... taking class definitely helps. Not discouraging you from taking it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    If you reloaded 9mm, it's not too far off to reloading rifles. Rifles cartridges are mostly bottle neck, you will need to tumble, lube, resize & decap, then tumble again to remove the lube before priming and charging.

So getting a case gauge and trimmer is a must.
    The rest are the same. Follow the recipe, start low, and work it way up.

Edit: Forgot... taking class definitely helps. Not discouraging you from taking it.
    Thanks, filgun. I bought a world's best trimmer, and a case gauge, have brass, bullets and powder. I don't know why, but I'm just more nervous about loading bottleneck cartridges. I think it will be good for me to have hands on instruction.

(Pike County)

Graz is a very good instructor, but extremely busy as far as I know. God knows when the next class will be scheduled, so I will highly recommend to take this class for anyone who's merely entertaining the idea as of now. I'm actually considering taking it myself if my schedule allows me.

As the most of the other classes MCR is not just about process, that can be learned literally from the youtube or NRA materials, that one can find online. It's also about best practices and do's and dont's and life interaction and asking questions.
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

150 bucks? Wow. I'd be willing to help out anyone closeby..for FREE! Shoot me a PM and i'll make some time. Wicens..pfft. I miss the days of the brothers, they liked to help ppl without profit as motivator.

(Bucks County)

Class sounds interesting, but I've learned quite a bit between reloading manuals and Youtube video's. But, please don't misconstrue this as not taking the class. People learn all different ways and some people learn best from books, others classroom instruction.

I bought the gear back in 2007 and did nothing with it until about 3 months ago. I finally setup my Lee Classic Turret press and started.

Like many I guess I was nervous that I'd double charge, etc, but I'm also a perfectionist which in reloading is a good thing. You don't want to have the mindset that "it looks alright, or it's close enough".

So far I've reloaded about 200 .45 ACP, 50 .38 SPL and all of these have gone bang and I've been quite pleased. I've also weighed charges during the process to ensure consistency of each round and measured them to ensure they are as they should be and don't exceed OAL.

I've made 20 .223 but I haven't shot these yet. Not that I'm nervous, just haven't had the time to get the rifle out. The only annoying thing about rifle reloading is the extra time to lube and trim the cases...

But I'm finding I like this as just another aspect of shooting and it's really satisfying to shoot ammo you made yourself.

(Philadelphia County)

Hi Everyone, and thanks again for the positive responses. So far everyone who attended my class left me with "very satisfied instructor ratings" !!

My next reloading class at Wicen's will be on 05-14-2013 and 05-16-2013 at 6:00 PM both nights. This is an 8 hour class and I did split it for 2 nights.. We all have day jobs so I made it comfortable for the working person !!

If interested contact me or Lori Wicen (Wicenshootingrange.com) for further info. Class fee is $150.00. Students will receive NRA Reloading Certificate upon completion of class.

Graziano Iezzi 215-669-0784 graziano20@gmail.com