Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Ammunition & Reloading

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334
Default Re: Keep ammo loaded in AR mags or in boxes in safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
When I served in army back in 91-93 we were told that spring is getting weak after being compressed for a long period of time. I don't know if springs are different now but I still play it safe and rotate loaded mags once a week.
Maybe if they are over-compressed, but a spring only wears out from being worked back and forth.

To demonstrate - take a metal paper clip and unfold one of the bends. The metal will have the same springiness to it unfolded as it did folded. Now, bend the metal back and forth. It will get warm at the bend and eventually break. Before it breaks then resistance to bending will be much less.

The military has a bunch of old wive's tale policies and beliefs that have gotten passed down from isolated incidences. The only one that I can remember that holds true is when keeping a fulling loaded M16/M4 magazines in the gun. There usually isn't enough play left in the magazine for the 30th round to sit up against a closed bolt - it over compresses the spring, which can wear it out. Thus why some branches or drill instructors teach you to old load 29rds into the mag with a closed bolt or to have the bolt locked open when carrying a fully loaded magazine in the gun.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM

(Montgomery County)
Splittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond reputeSplittiebus66 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep mine loaded. Cycle your defensive ammo every now and again.

Also it's a good idea to hang onto your boxes in case of a catastrophic incident (kaboom). The lot number and other identifying marks will be your only recourse.

Last edited by Splittiebus66; October 16th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM

(Allegheny County)
Mush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond reputeMush has a reputation beyond repute

I keep enough magazines loaded and handy with the weapon for break-ins, SHTF, assorted emergencies. Others are not loaded but can be when needed.

As for the military, I was told that WD40 was good for cleaning, lube, and protection for any firearm. But we had buckets of WD40 and not much else.....
I don't use WD40 for firearms now.
Old October 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM

Losymis is an unknown quantity at this point

As for me, I keep mines loaded at all times. I also go to the range at least twice a month.
Old October 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Noah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
When I served in army back in 91-93 we were told that spring is getting weak after being compressed for a long period of time . . . I still play it safe and rotate loaded mags once a week.
Knight0334 covered it above. Static loading does NOT wear out or break a spring. Cyclic loading and unloading does -- like Knight0334's paper clip example.

Another example: Did your Drill Sgt or Plt Sgt or whomever told your to not keep mags loaded also tell you to jack your vehicle up when finished driving to unload the vehicle springs? Same holds true for mag springs as vehicle springs. Vehicle springs spend YEARS statically loaded while parked; most vehicles are static more than dynamic (being driven). Taxis and police vehicles may be the exceptions.

Load your mags and store them, and stop the weekly rotation foolishness. You are actually contributing to eventual spring failure (even though minutely) by rotating them.

Noah
Old October 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Grand Member

(Erie County)
Gun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond reputeGun has a reputation beyond repute

Much easier to throw a loaded mag, and will impart more impulse upon contact.
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Silver Supporters
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Bucks County)
Twoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond reputeTwoboxer has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIC, if I haven't used a magazine it isn't functional. And there's no point to having 30 loaded mags. So I'd keep 2 or 3 or whatever loaded, use them the next time at the range, and then rotate in X different ones.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
Banned
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Lackawanna County)
SHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond reputeSHTF has a reputation beyond repute

We've been told that if you leave magazine loaded for a long time it may result in failure to load due to weakening of the spring. Affects handguns more than rifles. Also were told not to slam mag while inserting it into handgun. May result in second cartridge explosion. Go figure.