Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Ammunition & Reloading

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

View Poll Results: Best 45 ACP Bullet Weight ?
185 gr 2 5.71%
200 gr 6 17.14%
230 gr 27 77.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM

(Philadelphia County)
PhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond repute
Default 45 ACP Bullet Weights and Types ???

Who prefers what ?
Some like small and fast, others slower bu heavy.

185 gr vs 230 gr. ?
Which do you think is better ?

Hollow Point or Hardball ?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Grand Member

(Beaver County)
kevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 45 ACP Bullet Weights and Types ???

Best ...for what purpose? I load mine to ~900 fps, whether RN lead range ammo or HP carry ammo.
Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4} ‎“Man's basic vice, the source of all his evils, is the act of unfocusing his mind, the suspension of his consciousness, which is not blindness, but the refusal to see, not ignorance, but the refusal to know.” -- Ayn Rand
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

I shoot 230gr exclusively in my 1911. I haven't tried lessor weights because I know my gun reliably feeds both HP and FMJ of that weight and ogive profile.

When I do carry my 1911, it's loaded with HP's. On the range I only shoot FMJ's because they are cheaper.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM

(Montgomery County)
TargetPractice will become famous soon enoughTargetPractice will become famous soon enough

bigger bullets makes bigger holes which is always better.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Grand Member

customloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond reputecustomloaded has a reputation beyond repute

Bigger holes? Really? Hmm, maybe I'm wrong but all .45ACP are around the same diameter or they wouldn't be a .45ACP. With that said, the difference in weight of 30 grains or so 200-230, is neglible as far as a working round. You gain velocity with a lighter bullet which then equals energy upon impact which pretty much equals that of a heavier slower bullet. Is my thinking wrong here, technically? Looking for technical info here.

A 185 grn =+p+ is a smoking round, hard to beat that velocity and with the foot pounds of energy upon impact vs a 230 grn +P round.

round nose vs hollow point vs semi wad cutter? Hmmm, I'm pretty sure a 200 grain semi wad cutter at +P+ velocity's would do much better at creating wound channel damage and shock than a standard 230 gr hollow point. Just my opinion. Looking for technical information as to why what I think might not be as grounded as I think

CL
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Grand Member

(Beaver County)
kevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
Bigger holes? Really? Hmm, maybe I'm wrong but all .45ACP are around the same diameter or they wouldn't be a .45ACP. With that said, the difference in weight of 30 grains or so 200-230, is neglible as far as a working round. You gain velocity with a lighter bullet which then equals energy upon impact which pretty much equals that of a heavier slower bullet. Is my thinking wrong here, technically? Looking for technical info here.

A 185 grn =+p+ is a smoking round, hard to beat that velocity and with the foot pounds of energy upon impact vs a 230 grn +P round.

round nose vs hollow point vs semi wad cutter? Hmmm, I'm pretty sure a 200 grain semi wad cutter at +P+ velocity's would do much better at creating wound channel damage and shock than a standard 230 gr hollow point. Just my opinion. Looking for technical information as to why what I think might not be as grounded as I think

CL
Here's a pretty good table of factory ammo ballistics:

http://www.ballistics101.com/45_acp.php
Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4} ‎“Man's basic vice, the source of all his evils, is the act of unfocusing his mind, the suspension of his consciousness, which is not blindness, but the refusal to see, not ignorance, but the refusal to know.” -- Ayn Rand
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM

(Philadelphia County)
PhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond reputePhillyGunslinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

CL
I agree with you somewhat. Yes 185 gr +P is a hot round and will get the job done but it's designed to expand fast which will in turn produce a larger wound cavity.
A 230 gr in standard or +P will penetrate deeper and cause more compounding pressure shock than a 185 gr. In actual Police shootings the 230 gr 45 dropped an assailant with the first shot more than the 185 gr. This was due to penetration all the way to the spine of the assailant. Once the bullet hits the spine the body is incapacitated. Which is better ?
Well, they are both good but in different ways but the 230 has the slight edge. This also goes the same for the newer 9mm loadings in 147 gr +P.
According to new actual street studies the 147 +P subdues an assailant better than 115 +P+ and 124 +P. Federal HST in particular, also worked better against heavily clothed assailants as well in the 147 +P bullet weight.
It seems Sanow had it wrong all this time, that's why stories of cops shooting people with 9mm needed 4 to 5 rounds just to drop someone a few years back. Now with the 147's it takes one to 2. Of course bullet design plays a factor too but all of the premium, modern ammo works similar.
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

IronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond reputeIronButt has a reputation beyond repute

We train with & carry 230gr in our issued G21's, so that's what I use in my personal G21. Berry's for practice & XTP's for carry.
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:49 AM

(Berks County)
GUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond reputeGUNGUY45 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I can't vote on this one, too many different uses.

230HP in my carry gun, 230RN for the subguns, 185(or 155, 'cause I was given 500) lswc for shooting steel plates.

It depends what day, and what gun....
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM

(Bucks County)
Rainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond reputeRainier42 has a reputation beyond repute

Big and heavy (230gr) is how I like my .45acp.