Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 38 long colt

(Berks County)

Default 38 long colt

A friend of mine had given me a mixed batch of 38 rounds.There is a box of 50 38 long colt rounds in a plastic case guard box.The 38 long colt is shorter than the 38 special and longer than a 38 S&W. Can anyone give some information about the 38 long colt.
    Thanks,Bill

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 38 long colt

I have no experience with it, but if you get no help here, Google "38 long colt" and there will probably be a ton of info on it.

Give you a head start anyways.

Good luck.

(Luzerne County)

There is info on the web and in Barnes' Cartridges of the World.
    The 38 Long Colt was the US Army official military cartridge from 1892 to 1911. It was not a good stopper as some of our fellows found out in the Phillipines back at the turn of the century.
    It was replaced in 1911 by......guess what?
    It can be fired in a revolver chambered for the .38 Special (but not vice-versa).
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Perry County)

Some use the .38 Long Colt in their completion revolvers as the shorter case can be loaded with lighter loads and still be adequate. Also, the shorter case eject more forcefully so are slightly more foolproof. Not sure if one can make 125 power factor with it or not.

(Lebanon County)

they belong to one of these old guys. the first of what has become the modern style of revolver, dual action, swing out cylinder. prior to it the norm was single action, top break, or even better a load gate in which rounds were loaded or unloaded one at a time.
    and it was replaced with the m1909 colt, in 45colt.

if you want to find a new home for those 50rounds, we can talk.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(York County)

Basic round history:

Originally developed as a black powder cartridge circa 1889 for the Colt DA Army/Navy model revolver.

Failed as a military round in active service, and was updated/replaced by the .38 Special in 1899 (which means you can shoot .38 long in a .38 special but not the other way around).

Not a cartridge for an adventuresome handloader since the guns designed for it are mostly black powder era. However easy to make and handload (just trim 1/10 inch of a standard .38 Special case) and even factory loaded by Starline and Black Hills for the cowboy action shootin' crowd.

For reloading data check the Frank Barnes book: Cartridges of the World. Other sources of reloading data exists as well. Generally a .38 long can be duplicated using bottom end .38 special data.

Hope that helps with some background.

(Luzerne County)

Background....several slightly different/complementary versions of background.
    The .45 Colt was introduced in 1873, along with the famous "Peacemaker" M.1873 pistol. Both were adopted as "official" in 1875 by the US Army (the same year that Colt introduced the 38 Long Colt). It was so until 1892, when the Army adopted the .38 Long Colt and the Army/Navy model revolver as "official". That remained so until 1911, when the .38 Long Colt was replaced by the new M.1911 semi-auto pistol and the 45 ACP cartridge.
    The 45 Colt and the M1909 pistol were adopted by the USMC in 1909-10; the pistol was further adapted as the M1917 pistol chambered for the 45 ACP when there was a shortage of 1911 pistols during WWI.
    S&W offfered an improved .38 cartridge - the "Special" - as a BP load in 1899 along with its iconic M&P pistol. By 1900, the cartridge was loaded with smokless powder. As far as I know the Army did not adopt the S&W cartridge as its "official" despite its power and popularity during WWI.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(York County)

Pete D.

Thanks for the extra background on the .38LC round. I admit I was lazy when I replied and hadn't checked my copy of the Barnes book as too some of the technicalities involved. I've owned both a Colt Lightning and a Colt M1902 Army/Navy DA revolver in the caliber. When I loaded the rounds I was impressed with the lack of recoil, but then I was intentionally loading light since there is no point in doing more when shooting guns of such vintage. I just wish I hadn't sold off that Colt Army Navy! In common with just about all of that generation of Colt DAs, mine was fine in single action mode, but the lack of a front lock up meant that my cylinder would start to walk out of frame in DA mode. Also, there were no steps in the cylinder chambers of mine, so you could just drop .38 Specials and fire them if you were of mind (also could probably have dropped in and fired a .357 for the matter---well at least once!). Neat gun though, problematic mechanics not withstanding.

As for the original Lighting, the less said the better.