Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Ammunition & Reloading

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Grand Member

(York County)
Yoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Progressive Press For the Price

Right now I'm using a Lee Turret press and it's done a good job but I'm tired of spending all day reloading. I want to upgrade to a progressive press. So what is the best buy for the money? I want something reliable that I don't have to screw with everytime just to make it work correctly. I was looking at the Dillon 550/650 but is anything cheaper as good or better?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old September 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM

(Westmoreland County)
hornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Progressive Press For the Price

This is a loaded question; I like the Hornady LNL auto progressive, very well made and strong. But you will have plenty tell you to only buy Blue.
The LNL is about half the price of the 650. But the real money starts with the add onís, if you load multiple calibers. Not knowing what you are looking for in an Auto progressive. I would go out and read as many reviews as possible about both, I donít think you would go wrong with either Hornady or Dillion, with the Hornady being less money.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM

kcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond reputekcr121 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy once, cry once. Just get the Dillon and never look back.
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Grand Member

(York County)
Yoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I'm loading mostly 9mm and some .45. I bought dies for .40 but haven't started loading it yet since I don't shoot it much. I really want something that I can load all my ammo for the month in a few hrs. Right now I'm shooting about 800/per month but I want to ramp up to 2-3k in a few months.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM

(Lehigh County)
Plain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond reputePlain Old Bill has a reputation beyond repute

Dillon square deal for the pistols, 550 for the rifles. I've owned Lee, RCBS (best of the rest) and others, and some were very good...Dillon is head and shoulders above the rest.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Luzerne County)
Pete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond reputePete D. has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Dillon Square Deal, a Dillon 550, and two Lee Pro 1000s. They are all good presses; they all work; they ALL have their quirks.
The 550 is not a fully progressive press; you must turn the shellplate manually to advance the cases. The Lee press demands a clean primer feed trough,,,,and it must be kept full. The little Square Deal, like all Dillons is a pain to load primers into. The tubes may be safe but it's one at a time for primers.
Best buy....the Lees are substantially less $. One of my Pro 1000's is somewhere between 60 and 70 thousand rounds of .45ACP. The only thing that was a problem was that a little plastic gear broke a while back. Lee sent a new one (actually they sent two, I haven't needed the second.)
You can't go wrong with any of them, just spend different amounts of money.
If you are talking about versatility - changing calibers, etc - then the Dillon 550 or higher is the way to go.
Pete
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
max384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
Right now I'm using a Lee Turret press and it's done a good job but I'm tired of spending all day reloading. I want to upgrade to a progressive press. So what is the best buy for the money? I want something reliable that I don't have to screw with everytime just to make it work correctly. I was looking at the Dillon 550/650 but is anything cheaper as good or better?
That depends on who you ask. If you ask a Dillon owner, he'll tell you Dillon. If you ask a Hornady owner, he'll tell you Hornady. If you ask a Lee owner, he'll tell you he wished he had a Hornady or Dillon... hahaha

Personally, I have a Dillon XL650 with all the lickeys and cheweys and love it. For me, there were only two options I was considering: the Hornady LNL AP and Dillon 650. I needed an available automatic case feeder and auto indexing. Read this guide before deciding. It is fairly in depth and well written.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:23 PM

(Clearfield County)
saleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond reputesaleen322 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
I have a Dillon Square Deal, a Dillon 550, and two Lee Pro 1000s. They are all good presses; they all work; they ALL have their quirks.
The 550 is not a fully progressive press; you must turn the shellplate manually to advance the cases. The Lee press demands a clean primer feed trough,,,,and it must be kept full. The little Square Deal, like all Dillons is a pain to load primers into. The tubes may be safe but it's one at a time for primers.
Best buy....the Lees are substantially less $. One of my Pro 1000's is somewhere between 60 and 70 thousand rounds of .45ACP. The only thing that was a problem was that a little plastic gear broke a while back. Lee sent a new one (actually they sent two, I haven't needed the second.)
You can't go wrong with any of them, just spend different amounts of money.
If you are talking about versatility - changing calibers, etc - then the Dillon 550 or higher is the way to go.
Pete
+1
I bought a Lee 1000 about 30 years ago when they first came out because it was all I could afford back then. About 10 years ago I bought a wooden crate full of used Lee parts and some other stuff for $40. From that I got two more presses and some other parts. I have three set up on my bench and I have won a lot of matches with ammo out of them. After all of the use and years they are still working but they do have their quirks.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Grand Member

(York County)

I looked at all three and watched the setup videos for each one. I know what my Lee is like. It works well but the quality isn't the highest. There are a lot of little plastic pieces. I think Lee finds ingenious ways to do things cheaply but sometimes you have to fiddle with it to work. Of all three I think I'm going to buy the Hornady. I really like the way the dies seat and are easy to change and the case feeder looks really reliable. The ram looks well made and I like the grease fittings.

How does the priming system work on the Hornady? They really didn't show much about it.

Now finding the money..
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM

lucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond reputelucky-gunner has a reputation beyond repute

I've had great luck with my Hornady LnL.

I've used a friends Dillion 550 and other than the LnL caliber change being faster. I think they are equal.