Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking for ranges to shoot, near Squirrel Hill

Hi guys,

Newly moved here to PA. I found only one general indoor range for handgun, and can't seem to find a open outdoor range. Is everything here a exclusive club? Or is there a normal, casual range that I can just go to?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something here since I'm new to the area and the state, but you have to apply and receive approval just to be able to use a range? Where I come from, the ranges were "pay the fee and listen to safety briefings and you're allowed to use the range" and "memberships" were if you wanted to pay a one time flat fee to use a range year round and were optional. I can't go shooting outdoors without getting approval first? And I need a sponsor? How would I even get a sponsor, seeing as I'm new to the area and don't know anyone?

Anyways, give me a hand here, I just want to go and shoot my new rifle builds I'm finishing up. Thanks.
    Last edited by LateBraking; July 10th, 2014 at 03:05 PM.
    Nothing ever improves without coming to terms with its flaws. Ben Croshaw

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for ranges to shoot, near Squirrel Hill

Try Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmans Club.
    One of the best clubs in the Pittsburgh area.

Don't fret over having to join the club or obtaining a sponsor. It's all very easy to accomplish.

More on the club here:

http://www.pmsconline.com/

Membership:

http://www.pmsconline.com/pmsc/?q=membership
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I'll second PMSC. I did a lot of research before I joined and it is hands down the best in the area.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I've been doing some reading and looks like PMSC is pretty nice. I'll figure it out as I go, thanks fellas.

(Allegheny County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...-4-2014-a.html

That is the next PAFOA shoot at PMSC. You can come check out part of the club as well as meet fellow PAFOA members.

(Allegheny County)

I'll chime in!

PMSC is a great club. And as others have said, don't worry about getting a sponsor, someone on the forum should be able to help out.

It's not easy to just "shoot outdoors" whenever you want because this is a city after all.

A couple of my friends live up towards North Hills and Wexford, and they do go shoot for free at the state game lands (there's a range). However, they're pretty limiting there. Slow fire only, limited to something like 3-5 rounds in the magazine only, etc. To me, that sounds like a great place to zero a rifle for hunting, not much more.

Come check out PMSC if/when you can. I'll second/third/fourth the notion of coming to the next group shoot to see it for yourself.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll apply to PMSC, I took a tour and it looked like a great place to shoot. Unfortunately I was told they don't take applications in August, so I have to apply in September and I guess it wont be until October that I get to do any long gun shooting. A bit disappointed that I have to wait three months, but that's the way things have to be I guess.

Still, excited to give the facilities there a try if I'm accepted in October.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll apply to PMSC, I took a tour and it looked like a great place to shoot. Unfortunately I was told they don't take applications in August, so I have to apply in September and I guess it wont be until October that I get to do any long gun shooting. A bit disappointed that I have to wait three months, but that's the way things have to be I guess.

Still, excited to give the facilities there a try if I'm accepted in October.
    It's because of the rate reduction. When you join in September, you will pay less (:

I just joined this place. I don't really "get" the whole 2-month sign-up mumbo jumbo, seems excessively complicated to me. But once you get through that BS, I think you will like it.