Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Regions > Pittsburgh Region > Allegheny

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 29th, 2011

PA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud of
Default Need to find an apartment in the Pittsburgh area

Hey guys. I'm moving to the Pittsburgh area full time and looking for an apartment. What areas would you guys recommend?

Here's my criteria:

1. The job I'm taking is around the Waterfront in Homestead, so I'd like a reasonably easy commute in. If I could keep it under 20 miles one way that would be great, but I know that may not be doable.

2. I have family and friends to the north, so something to the north and maybe a bit east would be ideal. I know that probably clashes with #1 though. To some degree #1 takes priority.

3. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means, but I'd like to live in a decent place and in a nice, safe neighborhood. I have a safe, but I'd like to be able to discreetly get a long gun case out to the truck without being too paranoid about nefarious characters seeing it.

Given the work location I think this might be a little difficult. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 29th, 2011

(York County)
birdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond reputebirdhunter317 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to find an apartment in the Pittsburgh area

check out the northern end of the south hills..................my daughter lives in the baldwin area.................pretty nice....................its not Bellefonte but then no place is
Old January 1st, 2012

(Allegheny County)
JustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond repute

How much you looking to spend? Two bed/two bath townhouses in my nice plan are about 1500/month.

Easy access to 79 and the parkway, 10 minutes to Robinson, 15 minutes to downtown. Plan is very nice, quiet and safe. It is pretty rural for being this close to the city. Collier sportsman club is literally 60 seconds away. You can hear shooting there from here.

Justin

Last edited by JustinHEMI; January 1st, 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old January 1st, 2012

PA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud ofPA452 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies guy, keep them coming.

birdhunter317: I lived on the outskirts of State College, but yes, it's going to be tough to top that. I had a pretty nice apartment away from the downtown student madness, in a nice neighborhood, the rent was awesome and I was 10 minutes from the range. I miss it already.

JustinHEMI: Looks like a nice general location, though that's a little more than I want to spend. I'd like to keep rent under $900. That's kind of an arbitrary number actually, but I just hate to spend too much on rent when it's just me.
Old January 1st, 2012
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
DaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond repute

It may just be me, but I would make sure my commute to and from work avoided the Squirrel Hill and Ft Pitt tunnels.

Old January 1st, 2012

(Allegheny County)
JustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHEMI has a reputation beyond repute

Look at chestnut ridge apartments in Robinson. Nice, but cheaper. Right on parkway and all the shopping.
Old January 1st, 2012
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
thebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond repute

I would seriously avoid the South Hills in your case. You'll have to deal with two tunnels each way every day to get to the Waterfront area and you WILL hate it. Trust me. Do NOT take a place south of the city.

My opinion would be to look at Squirrel Hill, Shadyside or the East End first and then start looking north. North Hills to the Waterfront isn't a terrible commute (and NO tunnels!).

Sorry Justin!
Old January 1st, 2012

(Allegheny County)

No skin off my back, just giving suggestions based off my knowledge area. I go the OTHER way for work, up to beaver, so I don't know how sucky it is to go INTO the city from here for work. :P
Old January 3rd, 2012

(Allegheny County)
bikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond reputebikerzed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
I would seriously avoid the South Hills in your case. You'll have to deal with two tunnels each way every day to get to the Waterfront area and you WILL hate it. Trust me. Do NOT take a place south of the city.

My opinion would be to look at Squirrel Hill, Shadyside or the East End first and then start looking north. North Hills to the Waterfront isn't a terrible commute (and NO tunnels!).

Sorry Justin!
Umm, not true. I can get to the waterfront in 10 - 15 minutes (depending on time of day, how many I lights I hit, etc.) with no tunnels, even though its a farther drive than from Squirrel Hill. In fact, my recommendation would be just the opposite, stay out of the city. While there may be some nice neighborhoods in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside, the rent is going to be higher and there are bad neighborhoods just blocks away.

OP, take a look at South Park, Bethel Park, Jefferson Hills, Pleasant Hills, or Baldwin/Whitehall. There are also some decent neighborhoods in West Mifflin, which is closer to work for you, but it has some bad ones, too. I would steer clear of Clairton, Homestead, Duquesne and McKeesport, but I'm sure someone will come along and disagree
Old January 3rd, 2012
Grand Member

(Beaver County)
ViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy's roomie stiffed him and moved out when he got back from Maryland for Christmas. He lives on one floor of a three floor house (each has separate entry.) The place is in Bloomfield and is 950 total a month with most utilities included. Off street parking in the rear. It's not a stellar place, but I could pass it along if you'd be interested.