Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Regions > Pittsburgh Region > Allegheny

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM

Gun_'n_Run is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trust Lawyer and Class 3 dealer questions

Hey all,

Not a whole lotta posts, but got a few questions.

I'm in Allegheny County, in McKeesport, so I'm looking around for a few things. As the title says, a good trust lawyer (I have no problem driving to Pittsburgh) and some questions about Class 3 dealers in my area.

As for a lawyer, I'm looking at setting up a firearms trust. I'm only 18, but figure I might as well get a trust set up now for A) Privacy, B)convenience and C) advance planning.

I figure if I'm walking down the street and get hit by lightning/hit by a runaway bus or whatever, I'd want as smooth a transition, legally speaking for future NFA purchases as possible for either my parents or future wife/kids.

As such, I'm looking for a lawyer who has experience setting these up, and, big thing here, won't bend me over about prices. [I'm a poor college student, what can I say]. Can anyone recommend a lawyer or two?

---
Second: As far as class three dealers go, I've seen "PA Defense Consultants" as being right up the road from me. I've stopped by several times, but they're always closed... Anyone have any experience with them or any other good C3 dealers int he Mckeesport/Pittsburgh area?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM

Gun_'n_Run is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trust Lawyer and Class 3 dealer questions

Also... As far as regulations go, I'd like to clarify a few things on my end...

I bought an 11.5" bbled upper for an AR with the intention of making an AR pistol, and then Form 1 SBRing it (hence the above trust questions).

I was under the impression that because receivers are considered neither rifles nor pistols, they are transferred as receivers, regardless of what you are going to do with it upon first assembly.

As such, me, being 18, could not purchase one, except through a private sale (not having the machining know-how or tools ruled out an 80%receiver), so my dad agreed to buy me a lower as my belated 18th birthday present.

It was the first time he's ever purchased a gun, so when we went to the shop, he was full of questions.

They were very, very curious as to how it was being initially assembled. I questioned them about transferring it as a pistol, as they insisted, because to my knowledge, it doesnt matter. It's a receiver, and should be transferred as such on the 4473. They stated "no, if you're going shorter than 16 inches it'd better be a pistol, otherwise its an illegal SBR... We cannot just transfer it as a receiver, it's gotta be a rifle or pistol..."

So my dad said pistol, which it is currently. So they made him fill out a second form, one i was not familiar with, to register it to him.

Was this the correct thing to do? If so, can him giving it to me be considered a gift, or do we have to head to a sheriffs office or what-not to transfer it to my name? what was this other form?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM

(Allegheny County)
NAV3 is a name known to allNAV3 is a name known to allNAV3 is a name known to allNAV3 is a name known to allNAV3 is a name known to allNAV3 is a name known to all
Default Re: Trust Lawyer and Class 3 dealer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_'n_Run View Post
Hey all,

Not a whole lotta posts, but got a few questions.

I'm in Allegheny County, in McKeesport, so I'm looking around for a few things. As the title says, a good trust lawyer (I have no problem driving to Pittsburgh) and some questions about Class 3 dealers in my area.

As for a lawyer, I'm looking at setting up a firearms trust. I'm only 18, but figure I might as well get a trust set up now for A) Privacy, B)convenience and C) advance planning.

I figure if I'm walking down the street and get hit by lightning/hit by a runaway bus or whatever, I'd want as smooth a transition, legally speaking for future NFA purchases as possible for either my parents or future wife/kids.

As such, I'm looking for a lawyer who has experience setting these up, and, big thing here, won't bend me over about prices. [I'm a poor college student, what can I say]. Can anyone recommend a lawyer or two?

---
Second: As far as class three dealers go, I've seen "PA Defense Consultants" as being right up the road from me. I've stopped by several times, but they're always closed... Anyone have any experience with them or any other good C3 dealers int he Mckeesport/Pittsburgh area?
Been looking for a lawyer for this in the city as well. Let me know if you find one!