Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock 26 modifications

Hello all. I'm a straight newbie to firearms period but I have been doing my research. I need some advise on some modifications to my Glock 26 9mm that will make it easier to handle. I'm using it as my primary source for home defence for now and also looking to carry it when I'm ready to go through the process. I only shot 100 rounds so far at the range. Also, what type of ammo is typically used for target practice? What is the cheapest I can get it without compromising too much? I would appreciate any answered as detailed as possible. I'm also looking to get a laser light combo but I know the G26 dosen't support them and seen a rail mount that will make this possible, I think. Let me know what you think. Thank You all for your responses.

Meet Angelina
    Last edited by Severe; October 16th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Glock 26 modifications

Quote Originally Posted by Severe View Post
    Hello all. I'm a straight newbie to firearms period but I have been doing my research. I need some advise on some modifications to my Glock 26 9mm that will make it easier to handle.
    You might think about the Pearce grip extender for one of your mags.

Also, what type of ammo is typically used for target practice?
    Unless you have a VIP membership, you have to buy SPAG's rather pricy ammo.

If you get the VIP membership, then get whatever is cheapest FMJ of:

CCI Blazer
    American Eagle
    Sellier and Bellot
    Magtech
    PMC
    Winchester "White Box" (you'll see)
    Remington "Green Box" (you'll see)

Never, ever buy (the brand) American Ammunition.

You can buy online, for example, at:

https://www.natchezss.com/

and other online places.

What is the cheapest I can get it without compromising too much?
    Online, nowadays, you can expect to get no lower than $120/case.

I'm also looking to get a laser light combo but I know the G26 dosen't support them and seen a rail mount that will make this possible, I think.
    If you're learning to shoot, learn to shoot. Forget the laser; work on: front sight, press.

Later, you can learn how to add a flashlight to your shooting.
    Last edited by dgg9; October 16th, 2006 at 10:09 PM.

(Berks County)

Hello all. I'm a straight newbie to firearms period but I have been doing my research. I need some advise on some modifications to my Glock 26 9mm that will make it easier to handle. I'm using it as my primary source for home defence for now and also looking to carry it when I'm ready to go through the process. I only shot 100 rounds so far at the range. Also, what type of ammo is typically used for target practice? What is the cheapest I can get it without compromising too much? I would appreciate any answered as detailed as possible. I'm also looking to get a laser light combo but I know the G26 dosen't support them and seen a rail mount that will make this possible, I think. Let me know what you think. Thank You all for your responses.

Meet Angelina

Repeat after me: hogue grip.

Got one on my G19, love it. (you would have to trim it down a bit for the G26)

The pinky grip extensions make a world of difference with the subcompact glocks.

I get my ammo at Wally World, CCI Blazer (my preferred) or Winchester white box 100 round value packs. The winchester is a little dirtier.

Laser/light doohickeys are neat, but not worth the cash, in a real world kind of way. Just my opinion, of course. If I WAS in the market for a laser, I would get one of those guide rod replacements... don't know who makes them.

Thanks guys for your quick response. I ordered the grips for the clips and going to 86 the idea of the light/laser combo and take the advice of learning how to shoot first. I checked out the hogue grip and will be getting it next week. I'm also a computer geek and the first thing I do with anything is upgrade! I'm gonna have to take it easy and modify only if needed. Thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

Severe,

You will find out in any gun forum that the praise of one person for a particular product will be ridiculed by another.

The hogue grips initially felt better for me than the stock grip. That is, until I attended a basic pistol class that involved shooting about 700 rounds over a 3 day weekend. The grips seemed to rotate on the grip and became bothersome to continually realign. I'm not sure if the caliber (357 sig) recoil caused the problem or the sweat and heat had anything to do with it.

I canned the hogues and went to a stick on brand(brain fart- can't remember name) that seemed to hold up better but eventually started to peel a bit.

When my Glock 23 broke a rear rail during a class and I sent the frame back to be replaced, I never reinstalled the grips.

I now shoot with the standard grips.

Other mods are extended mag releases and slide stop lever. I was taught at a John Farnam class to not add any such "do dads" on a serious defensive gun.
    One guy had these on his pistol and could not do one handed mag changes without the extended slide stop interfering with using his shoe to cycle the slide. Additionally, I've seen guys with extended mag releases accidentally bump them when reholstering, draw and have the mag fall out (these may have uses in gaming guns).

Some guys install a 3.5 lb connector with a NY-1 trigger spring. This gives an approximate 6 lb trigger pull and personally, I like the feel of this combo and the trigger doesn't feel as "soft". The trigger reset seems more definitive.

I would change out the stock plastic sights to steel. My choice is night sights (Heinie straight eight slant pros). I had a white circle painted around the front tritium insert. This lets me see the front sight a little easier when shooting against a dark target but also maintains the black front blade outline for shooting against lighter backgrounded targets (just my preference).

Lights and lasers will fail at some point. Learn without them.

Use the advice given as far as learning how to shoot without a crutch. Find the front sight---press the trigger. Formal instruction is what I suggest before you instill bad habits in your shooting form.

Just my thoughts,

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Montgomery County)

I shoot and carry a 26 daily. It is my most accurate pistol and I cannot say enough about it's reliablility after thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds down range. Good choice.
    When I bought mine, many moons ago, I added a Pierce (or Scherer) grip extender right away and took them off within a week. With the grip extenders, I was carrying a gun with almost the same grip length as my 19 with less ammo. My hands are a little larger than average and I have no conrtol or grip issues with my 26 at all.
    I did use an Agrip for a long time. It was on for so long that it wore smooth. I did like that and bought another one but never got around to putting it on.
    I buy my ammo from Eric the ammoman. I but whatever is the cheapest, usually around 119.00 - 139.00 shipped per 1000. http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm . It always arrives the day after I order. I usually shoot 115 gr for practice and carry Federal HS in 124 or 147. I shoot my carry mags/ammo every few trips to the range and refill with fresh, nothing scientific about it.
    My 26 is completely stock and has had a take down spring replace when it broke during cleaning of all things. That was several thousand rounds ago.
    Good luck with yours. The 26 is my absolute favorite. My 21 is close behind but I cannot find an easy way to conceal it.

(Blair County)

As always, just my opinions:

Worthwhile accessories: night sights, extended slide release, extra mags, decent holster. That's it.

I like the Glock extended slide release. My 19s have the Glock extended mag release as well, but I found that on the 26 in an IWB, it was rubbing a hole in my love handle. I haven't had an issue with inadvertant activation, but some may.

I am not a big fan of lasers, unless you have a physical disability (poor eyesight, can't raise the gun to eye level) that prevents you from using the sights.

I am a fan of lights, but not on a gun that small. One of the strong points of the 26 is concealability. Adding a light negates this, so you might as well carry a bigger gun. Also, a light changes the handling characteristics of the gun, and the change is amplified on a smaller gun. You need to carry a light, but most of the time you are better off if it is separate from the gun.

When you get decent with the gun, learn some of the techniques for using a non-attached light with the gun. You will find a lot of uses for the light where it would be inappropriate to be waving a gun around. Even when I carry a gun with a light, I carry another separate light.

Grip mods are personal preference, I don't like sleeves, but do sometimes use some skateboard tape.

I like the 3.5 pound connector without the NY trigger spring. HOWEVER, I do not recommend this until you have a lot of rounds (3000-5000) on the stock trigger.

One more tip. This will help you shoot a pistol better, especially a gun like a 26 that does not allow you to get all of your fingers on it. Work to strengthen your grip. A stronger grip will give you better control, and improve the way you feel the gun.

Hope this helps.

doug

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Glock 26 modifications

Severe,
    I put a LaserMax site on my 26 as an added advantage at night since this is my night stand gun. I don't need my glasses to see what I'm aiming at. But I found when using this gun with LaserMax in my OWB holdster with security strap it was being turned on accidently. I contacted LaserMax and they sent me a shortened switch that works just fine. We all have our individual needs and wants and I agree you to be able to shoot straight first and not depend on the site for accuracy. Let me know how the grips work out, I'm curious.
    Secure1

(Philadelphia County)

I would not be in too much of a hurry to modify it. Some instruction and practice might make the gun easier to handle.

(Dauphin County)

Wink Re: Glock 26 modifications

the op posted this thread back in 2006 i hope by now he has made his decision on what mods to make