Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default ok to store ammo in plastic ziplock bags?

ive got a special place for storing my ammo supply . its starting to get full to the top. i figure if i take all the ammo out of the boxes they come in and put them into the big clear ziplock bags i could fit alot more. will this be ok? id prob drop a few moisture repellant tabs in each bag and not fully zip each bag shut? will it be ok or will the plastic cause rust and problems? its not exposed to any light either.

Default Re: ok to store ammo in plastic ziplock bags?

Ziplock bags aren't very good at keeping out moisture even if zipped shut. Hopefully you keep them in something that is airtight.

It's hard to give advice without a little more information. Yes the cardboard boxes take up room and you can pack more into an area with the baggies. Desiccant packs will help. Try to find some that change color as well. Blue is dry and pink is moist. This will help monitor the moisture level as well as when to dehydrate the desiccant packs.

Other useful advice can be found here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...like-cans.html
    Last edited by stephpd; April 22nd, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Allegheny County)

here's how i store my bulk ammo.

if you have a Food Saver, take your ammo, still in boxes, and arrange them in the storage bags. place a small desicant pack in with the ammo on the end. Vaccum seal the bags so the ammo lays flat. the boxes compress down and the ammo forms up nice and tite. now you can stack these easier and they take up less space. trim ends if you don't want excess bag. now your ammo is protected from moisture
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    here's how i store my bulk ammo.

if you have a Food Saver, take your ammo, still in boxes, and arrange them in the storage bags. place a small desicant pack in with the ammo on the end. Vaccum seal the bags so the ammo lays flat. the boxes compress down and the ammo forms up nice and tite. now you can stack these easier and they take up less space. trim ends if you don't want excess bag. now your ammo is protected from moisture
    Yeah I would stay away from ziplock because they will not keep out all moisture and will trap some, even with a dessicant pack you won't get 100% of it out, the food saver would be a better option, just do it on a dry day. Dessicant in a food saver with minimal open space and air movement isn't doing much...I would tend to keep them in the boxes and in a larger metal or plastic ammo can.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Westmoreland County)

I use ziplock bags for temporary storage. It's a good way to carry ammo to gun shoots and easier to handle the ammo when making reloads. I also use the ziplock plastic containers you can get various shapes and sizes for a reasonable price. When my wife isn't looking I steal some of hers. I never had a problem with moisture but it is dependent on where you store them. I have some dessicant packs that I keep in the general area, I've had problems buying new packs but I maybe looking in the wrong places.