Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: List of Shops Around Pittsburgh

Ace Sporting Goods 4.5 - Took a while to get service while 2 employees were helping some yuppy going on and on about "wanting to make sure he got the right gun if he was dropping $1400 on one". He spent 30mins finger diddling everything there and then left. That's the only negative. Good prices. A great selection of used guns including various WW2 models. They gave me way more than I expected on 2 trade ins. Couldn't be happier. Real decent guys.

Anthony Arms 2 - Decent selection. Nice modern shop. Prices ok to a little high. Very rude counter help. Could be from very high public traffic and many gawkers and finger bangers.

Big Buck Sport Shop .5 - Nice modern hunting shop. Very small selection of new and used handguns. Those are the only positives. I've heard the same old guy behind the counter tell at least 5 people shopping around how most handguns are way overrated or over engineered (Sig, especially glock?) and the only one to buy is the Springfield. 2nd trip to store, customer comes in; opens up his case with uber tactical shotgun wanting to get a light and laser sight for home protection. Both he and the EMPLOYEE pointed it at me and other customers without ever clearing it AFTER BEING BROUGHT IN FROM THE OUTSIDE. It's in a nice rural area, so it seems to cater to hunters and many upper middle class who spend big money and want all the bells and whistles and are FAR from safe. $50 for a private transfer.

Island Firearms 4 - Only been there once. The store has a lot of character. Lures and etc etc etc hanging from every square inch of ceiling and walls. Small selection of rifles and handguns, BUT very nice guys. I listended to one of them on the bottom end of an hour educating a couple first time handgun purchasers on the in and outs of various models. They then went repeatedly over dissasembly, cleaning and etc after they bought one. Really decent people. Also $20 for private transfers.

(Allegheny County)

One question about Gun Runners in Canonsburg. Where the hell is it? I might be blind so forgive me in advance but I was driving last week about 6:30pm and used directions I printed from google maps and could not find the shop. Went from 19 to the elementery school on South Central, but did not see it. I called the number listed a few times that day with no answer and the answering machine memory full. I was on the way to Ace to buy a new pistol but wanted to check them out first. Any ideas or am I just semi retarded?

(Allegheny County)

He is basically on the corner of Route 519 and Houston Rd. It's in the lower part of the building.

See the red circle below.

btw ... he doesn't keep much inventory, so there isn't much to look out. However, he will order you what ever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I guess I drove by it. I am assuming it is in the same building as the convience store and optometrist - who apparently I need to see when I make it out to gun runners.

(Allegheny County)

I've always had good luck with Powell Guns in Penn Hills, right on Frankstown rd beside the police station. Alot of used guns on display, but he stocks a ton of new stuff, just have to ask to see. I've bought alot there over the years with consistantly good service and prices.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    One question about Gun Runners in Canonsburg. Where the hell is it? I might be blind so forgive me in advance but I was driving last week about 6:30pm and used directions I printed from google maps and could not find the shop. Went from 19 to the elementery school on South Central, but did not see it. I called the number listed a few times that day with no answer and the answering machine memory full. I was on the way to Ace to buy a new pistol but wanted to check them out first. Any ideas or am I just semi retarded?
    Yeah, you drove right by it

GunRunner is located on the lower level from the optometrist. When you come to the stop sign, go down the hill (like you were going to Canonsburg hospital) and the parking lot will be almost immediately on your right. Go through the set of double-doors in the center of the building, the only door, and the shop is straight ahead. The shop is open Monday through Friday 2PM to 6PM and on Saturday from 10AM to 2PM.

Like Mojo said, he doesn't have a lot of stock on hand. It's pretty much just some used handguns and long guns, but he'll order anything for you at a really good price. Been there, done that, doing it again shortly

To make it easier, I modified a satellite image to show you just where the shop is:
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Allegheny County)

updated with new ratings and shops. thanks!

(Allegheny County)

I made a web page with the Google Maps API so that the location of these shops can be visualized easier for planning trips. Check it out here. All of the ratings info is in there. You can add your 'home' location by using the 'get directions' link in the marker info window.

(Allegheny County)

Just wanted to say "thanks" -- this is really a helpful post.

(Allegheny County)

I hate to disagree with a lot of people, but everytime I went to Ace sporting good, the staff was rude, arrogant and seemed like they really didnt care about answering questions. I mentioned this to a few other people, and they related the same. I wont recommend Ace to anyone.
    Bravermans was very helpful. I took a ladyfriend to buy her first handgun, and the people there were very understanding and helpful. He took his time explaining about the different types of pistols and the ups and downs about each.
    Anthony Arms is hot and cold. I had good experiances then bad ones. The range isnt bad, but the type of people that goes there seem like Gang-banger wannabes.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast