Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Rifle Scope Repair

Are there any reliable places for rifle scope repair? I bought a used Ruger 10/22 with a Redfield Tracker 3x9 scope. I adjusted the elevation and windage, and then after a few shots the focus was knocked out. There is a rattle when the scope is moved.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Rifle Scope Repair

first make sure scope and mount are tight (which you probally already did) secod if it is the scope you might be better off just buying a new scope id imagine it would cost more to repair unless there is a warrenty on the scope. i usally use wallmart scopes on my rimfires no problems with them yet. or check gun shows or this site for a cheap used scope
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the advice. The shop from where I purchased the used Ruger gladly replaced the scope with a new one comparable to the Redfield, saying that they guarantee their guns. I pointed out that the gun was fine, but the owner insisted that he wanted a happy customer. The shop is Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro, NJ. I highly recommend this shop!

(Allegheny County)

Most scope makers guarantee their scopes for life believe it or not.
    Over the years I have sent scopes back to Leupold and was never charged a cent to get them repaired. Thank you cheap ass Springfield Amory third generation aluminum mount. The mount would loosen up and the scope would be bounced around. Not the rings just mount itself.
    That shop just sent the scope back to Redfield.
    Redfield probably refurbished it and sent it back to the shop.

(Philadelphia County)

Redfield no longer exists. From my research in getting the scope repaired, the company had been bought out by Blount, which also bought out Simmons and Weaver. Then Meade bought out Blount. Meade no longer honors the guarantee. I believe Leupold bought out Redfield's line of mounts and rings. There are a few companies that do scope repair, but after reading the reviews of them I pretty much accepted that I may have to repair the scope myself. If I am successful, I will let you know. :-) Bob's shop in NJ basically ate the cost of replacing the scope for me.

(Jefferson County)

Thats some good service by that shop for sure.

There are some things in life that its cheaper to buy a replacement than it is to repair it. TV's, some appliances, and most rifles scopes fall into that category. The top dollar Leupold and Zeiss scopes are worth repairing, but pretty much anything less that isn't covered by warranty is game for replacement rather than the costs of repair.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Took apart the Redfield and found the problem. One of the lens in erector lens assembly came out of its mount because the retaining ring came loose. The scope's optical quality will not be as good as it was because the lens that came out was chipped on the edges. But at least I will have a scope for a spare.

(Philadelphia County)

I would think that if you cleaned it up real well and reassembeled, even with the chips, The scope should prove to be pretty good.
    The real issue is to get the optics exactly where they were for a good view!
    You may be able to pick one up off ebay for cheap too!
    Peter.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    I would think that if you cleaned it up real well and reassembeled, even with the chips, The scope should prove to be pretty good.
    The real issue is to get the optics exactly where they were for a good view!
    You may be able to pick one up off ebay for cheap too!
    Peter.

I cleaned it well, re-greased it, made new parts for it, and modified the inner tube's attachment to the outer tube for easier disassembly. The center of view is slightly blurred now, but the outer edges are sharp. I probably have a smudge on one of the lenses. I dread having to take it apart again. Overall, the scope is useable. The only thing I did not do is assemble the scope in a nitrogen atmosphere. The inner lens fell out because the lens mount only had two threads on which the retaining ring attached.