Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 49 of 222 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper's OC log

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Viper's OC log

Which bank was that? I know it wasn't Wells Fargo.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Viper's OC log

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Then, while walking over to my bank, a pair of women were standing on the sidewalk chatting. As I walked by, I overheard one of them suddenly interrupt the other with surprise: "Oh my, he got a gun on his hip." The other lady said something I couldn't hear because she was facing the opposite way, but the first woman responded by saying, "Oh," as if relieved. I wish I knew what the second woman said to her.
    She said "It's no thing, that there's Junior!"

(Delaware County)

PrettyInPink and I took the little one into the city on Sunday to mope around, fly a kit (which broke because it was a cheap piece of crap) and play with the dog.

We spent a couple of hours hanging out in the grass on the pavilion of the Independence Visitor's Center, running around with the dog, breaking the crappy kite, and taking turns doing laps around the courtyard on her pink sparkley scooter.

She's 7 and it made her happy.

Anyway, it wasn't until much later at the Olive Garden on Chestnut Street did anyone seem to care enough about the big scary fully automatic assault banana clip Glock-rifle on my hip to mention it's presence, which was thoroughly refreshing.

Our waitress asked, "Is that a Kimber or a Springfield?
    "Neither, actually - Taurus."
    "Really?? Wow, I never would have guessed."
    "A lot of people don't even know they make a 1911."
    "Wow. I have a Springfield at home, but my little carry piece is a Taurus snub nose revolver."

We chatted a bit more and she earned our future patronage with her friendliness.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    PrettyInPink and I took the little one into the city on Sunday to mope around, fly a kit (which broke because it was a cheap piece of crap) and play with the dog.

We spent a couple of hours hanging out in the grass on the pavilion of the Independence Visitor's Center, running around with the dog, breaking the crappy kite, and taking turns doing laps around the courtyard on her pink sparkley scooter.

She's 7 and it made her happy.

Anyway, it wasn't until much later at the Olive Garden on Chestnut Street did anyone seem to care enough about the big scary fully automatic assault banana clip Glock-rifle on my hip to mention it's presence, which was thoroughly refreshing.

Our waitress asked, "Is that a Kimber or a Springfield?
    "Neither, actually - Taurus."
    "Really?? Wow, I never would have guessed."
    "A lot of people don't even know they make a 1911."
    "Wow. I have a Springfield at home, but my little carry piece is a Taurus snub nose revolver."

We chatted a bit more and she earned our future patronage with her friendliness.
    But did she earn a bigger tip ?

(Northampton County)

I must say you have moxy. I would not have the patience or determination after a few encounters with police. Good reading too.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    But did she earn a bigger tip ?
    She absolutely did. Something on the order of 25%.

I've been OC this summer for the first time. I almost never have people comment. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Lols

I do notice people tend to stare at the Ruger 357 on my hip, but never any comments save for two occasions. Occasionally I get quasi dirty looks.

Does the size of the pistol have any effect on whether people even notice? My Ruger is a snub nose; quite little compared to a 1911 or full sized pistol.

(Delaware County)

Big tip well deserved indeed, what a great experience. Thanks for sharing.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I've been OC this summer for the first time. I almost never have people comment. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Lols

I do notice people tend to stare at the Ruger 357 on my hip, but never any comments save for two occasions. Occasionally I get quasi dirty looks.

Does the size of the pistol have any effect on whether people even notice? My Ruger is a snub nose; quite little compared to a 1911 or full sized pistol.
    It must. A small one will look like a cell phone at first glance and likely will not warrant a second. I know almost everyone noticed at Mango last night in Media, but that's close quarters.

(Delaware County)

Default Double positive Home Depot Encounters in Secane

This afternoon I swung by the Home Depot to pick up some wiring and other assorted parts needed to finish hooking up my lightbar on the truck. One of the fellows helping me find exactly what I needed asked me the following while pulling wire for me.

"Are you like, a federal agent or something?"
    I chuckled. "No, nothing nearly that entertaining. I'm just a guy who carries for protection."
    "Ohh, okay, cool. I've seen you in here before but I never had a chance to talk to you or ask you any questions - I just thought you were some kind of cool undercover officer or something like that."

Then, at the self-checkout lane, the girl at the podium said, "Excuse me - what kind of gun is that?"
    "This is a model 1911 in .45."
    She grinned and motioned towards her coworker, who was standing nearby. "Damn, you were right!"
    "See!! I told you that looked like a .45! I have one at home."
    "Oh really?"
    "Yeah! Are you some kind of cop or something?"
    "No, I carry for protection."
    "Oh - but how can you carry like that? You know, out in the open."

I went through the brief version of "The Schpeal," quickly explaining open carry and how the LTCF relates to it. The girl who first asked me her question said that her dad gifted her a gun, and she has the paperwork for her LTCF, but hasn't filled it out yet. She was surprised to hear it turns around in only 45 days. We talked a bit more about the dangers we face as citizens and how close we are to Philadelphia here, as well as ranges and where's good to go shooting.

Page 49 of 222 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast