Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Employer property ban

PA is an at will state they do not need a reason to fire you. And I do not believe your employer can require you to give up your rights to be employed.
    Although I am not a lawyer, I just pretent on the internet.
    Best case, shut up about it and make your car like Vagas, what in it stays in it, while at work. Dont even bring up about owning a gun at work.
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Luzerne County)

Worth noting that following the given advice takes you astray from the path of a "law abiding gun owner". While you likely shouldn't expect anything more than getting fired, you are still knowingly trespassing on private property.

Take my words for what they are, I'm not advocating anything, just pointing out the facts.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Northampton County)

Park on the street and walk to work.
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Lackawanna County)

Is the parking lot owned by the business or do they have exclusive lease rights?

I work in a retail shopping center and am prohibited to have a gun on company property as well. Fortunately, the lease line ends at the front door threshold...they have zero say over the parking lot, since it is a common area of the property management.

The company does have some local property with an exclusive parking area. Technically, a gun in the car over there would be a violation of policy.

(Montgomery County)

I went through this with my employer recently. In our case, the no firearms policy has been in place for quite some time.

I have a substantial drive to work and recently joined a gun club that was on my drive home. For me it was simply a matter of convenience not to have to drive home and then to the club to use the pistol range or shoot trap. I explained the situation, politely, to my HR department who agreed to make an exception with the consent of the president of the company, who agreed. Mission accomplished. The firearms stay locked in the car, no show, no tell and everyone's happy. It is their property and you have to play by their rules. I'm satisfied.

(Allegheny County)

Same frustrating policy at my place of employment. But it goes even further. I just had to sign my acknowledgement of receipt of corporate policies that includes everything from drug use to driving records to sexual harassment to prohibition of giving recommendations of employees....to yes...no firearms.

There are a surprising number of gun owners/carriers in our building of 200 (considering we're the "liberal media") and I had hoped to find a way for all who wanted to be represented to craft a letter to our General Manager requesting a rethink of workplace policy....but now that I see it comes from Corporate, I'm less hopeful of a change.

I have no real options...especially since the company provides my car.

But I may still write a personal request to the GM just so that when it is turned down, I may have SOME semblance of recourse for my widow should something happen.

If you saw the list of names and photos in the security office of people prohibited from the premises...people that have already had some contact from law enforcement...you would understand my concern with security consisting of a pass-card parking lot security gate....that you can walk around.

(Bucks County)

My company has the same policy, including the, "we can search your vehicle if we want and your refusal constitutes voluntary resignation."

I've spoken with a couple of the folks at the Chief level (CEO and CTO) and the CEO said he didn't know it was a policy and he thinks it's a stupid policy. The CTO said he has a gun (his wife's) in his glovebox every day. In other words neither one cares what the policy is (although it's still in our revised manual subsequent to this conversation).

I personally ignore the policy as I have an hour+ drive in each direction and I'll be damned if I'm going to be a victim of either road rage or a potential incident when I stop for gas.

The only way it will be an issue (or anybody else besides the two mentioned above will know) is if I have to use it, and I'd rather be alive and jobless than dead.

You have to make your own choice in this regard. If you choose to ignore the company's policy, then be discrete. If you rub their noses in it, you'll likely end up with an unsatisfactory result.

Regards,

BCB

(Lehigh County)

Out of sight, out of mind.
    Just keep it in your car, do not talk about it, even here, company spies.

(Beaver County)

My company has the same policy,no firearms on the property.Luckily there is a secure storage facility right across the street.

Several of my fellow employees and myself have rented a unit that we use for these concerns.Range, carry etc.

Good luck and hope that you are able to work out your problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Monroe County)

Make sure as a condition of employment you didn't sign away the right to search your person or vehicle while on company property.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast