Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Default Re: FN Five SeveN pistol

I have a supply of them. I can do custom projects for a good deal less than retail prices if you or anyone else is interested.

BTW, in the past week i tested my own personal level IIIA US Armor vest. Can you believe the thing stopped FN SS195, FN SS192 and FN SS198 LE only green tip!?!?!

I couldn't either....thankfully i video'd it. I'll upload it to you tube tomorrow. I was STUNNED at how well my circa 1997 US Armor IIIA vest performed. It's good to know this thing has been keeping me safe at work for the past decade. It's a beast and i didn't even realize it!

I have in the past personally shot all three of those rounds through different IIIA vests, and seen other people shoot SS198 and SS192 through IIIA vests in other video tests as well.

SS192: Penetrated 15 layers
    SS195 blue box: penetrated 10 layers
    SS198 green tip: Penetrated 20 layers

Elite S4M still shot right clean through it though, and stuck itself in the 9/16" ballistic plate i was using as a backstop.

Armored backpack i made with 9/16" fiberglass armored plates:

Plate riding securely in backpack hydration pouch:

Plate removed from pack, how do you like my "logo"?

(plate is encased in duct tape for 2 reasons: 1) to water proof it, 2) to provide a high level of anti-spall lamination, increasing this armor's already impressive multi-hit capability considerably)

My M&P-15/22 resting on a bipod and peeking out from behind the backpack:

As can be clearly seen, if laying prone behind the pack in this manner, you would be protected to an extremely high level from virtually ALL pistol fire (though the FN SS190 steel core AP or Elite T6 -might- be able to penetrate the 9/16" plates, i have not tested either against this armor yet), virtually ALL SMG fire, ALL shotgun fire, many types of carbine (.30 US GI for instance), and even some rifle fire (.30-30 or .35 Rem or even .45-70, would fail miserably against these plates).
    Last edited by Valorius; November 29th, 2012 at 02:06 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Armored backpack i made with 9/16" fiberglass armored plates:
    As can be clearly seen, if laying prone behind the pack in this manner, you would be protected to an extremely high level.
    That's a really cool idea.

Amusingly enough one company that makes such panels shows an FsN pistol on their "Tested and Proven" page.

The 9/16" fiberglass plates i'm using easily defeat Elite S4M 5.7mm @ 2500+ fps in my tests.

Here is indisputable proof that not all IIIA's are created alike:

Same day (within minutes of one another), same gun (threaded barrel FsN), same engagement range (less than 5 feet), same vest (my personal US Armor IIIA work vest). This is probably as accurate of a DIRECT head to head comparison of these rounds as we're ever going to get:

US Armor (manufactured 1997) IIIA vest (25 layers, no stab protection) vs:

SS192 and SS195:

SS198:

Elite S4M:

Given that myself and others have all shot SS192 and SS198 through various IIIA's, and that i have shot SS195 through a Safariland IIIA, it just goes to show you that not all IIIA vests are created equal!

Performance vs my own personal US Armor IIIA work vest:

SS192: 15 layers
    SS195: 10 layers
    SS198: 20 layers
    Elite S4M: Clean penetration

Those penetration figures clearly suggest that SS192 is significantly hotter than blue box 195, despite previous user velocity listings. I REALLY need a chronograph.

This vest dramatically outperformed the Safariland IIIA and Second Chance vest panel i've used in other tests, which is amazing, because the Safariland IIIA performed quite well in it's own right: Stopping Elite Protector I in the 2000fps range and Elite Protector II as fired from my threaded barrel FsN.

I will rest easy wearing this vest in the future, that's for sure!!!

BTW, one thing these tests ONCE AGAIN scream out to me is that NIJ REALLY needs to add a rating (or two) between IIIA and III.

I have shot 192, 195 and 198 through IIIA vests in other video tests, but yet my US Armor IIIA vest stopped all three...and both have the same rating. Obviously, one offers MUCH better protection than the other.

I think there needs to be a rating specifically against pistol fired PDW's like the 5.7mm. Like, a "IIIP" or something.
    Last edited by Valorius; November 29th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

The latest multi-hit tests i did vs the fiberglass hard plate armor that i used in my backpack and as trauma plates in my BPV's. Test range is about 6 feet. The idea was to concentrate a massive amount of point blank firepower at one very small area on the plate armor.

First test, 35rds of Aguila Supermax .22LR hypervelocity @ 1750fps from my 22" S&W M&P-15/22 against 1/4" plate.

Second test, 35rds of Aguila Supermax .22LR hypervelocity @ 1750fps from my 22" S&W M&P-15/22 against 9/16" plate.

These rounds penetrate an avg. of 15 layers of soft Kevlar in tests vs my Safariland IIIA vest. 15 layers penetration is about equivalent to level IIA soft body armor. This is about 4x the penetration vs soft kevlar as Speer 9mm+P+ LE Only 115gr JHP gold dots when tested vs the same vest.

Results: 1/4" plate (NIJ equivalent level II) appears to withstand about 25 hits before failing.
    9/16" (far, far exceeds NIJ equivalent level IIIA) plate withstands all 35 hits without failing, and is still in useful condition.

The odds of taking that many hits to one part on the plate are about zero, but it does give a good idea of the absolute maximum extreme abuse these plates can handle. IMO the multi hit capability of these plates is extremely robust.

(Northumberland County)

you said you wear a vest at work, care to tell us what you do?

Everyone on the board that's not a 'n00b' already knows what i do.

(Northumberland County)

color me a n00b.

my detective skills are astounding, i believe i have figured out your occupation.
    Last edited by schaffer; December 13th, 2012 at 04:57 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

Finally in the club

(Lancaster County)

Congratulations I'm jealous of the blue tips lol
    I really miss Val too. He's gone from all the forums that I know of and I can't find his email from a transaction I did with him.
    Did you get to the range with it? Was I right about it ejecting spent brass across the country?! LOL I really like it. I'm still not sure about using it as a carry gun though. Definitely need ammo from Elite or FN I would think. What are your impressions?

(Montgomery County)

My 5.7 Housegun
    FN FiveSeven with Burris FastFire III sights, Streamlight TLR-2S, EFK Dragon threaded barrel, and SWR SPECTRE II can. Ammo: SS198LE, copper T6, and S4M plus I roll my own too.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223